Maps showing location of Lamington remote camp sites?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Maps showing location of Lamington remote camp sites?

Postby kneighbour » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 6:50 pm

I would like to do a bit more overnight camping in Lamington, the first of which is Echo Point. I have in fact already booked this site. The problem is I do not know exactly where this and the other camping sites are located. I know roughly where they should be, and hopefully they will be signposted, so I guess there is not real problem. But I like to plan these things, so it kind of irks me that I cannot find a map showing the location of these sites.

The DNPS website lists a topographic map co-ordinate on the QTOPO map Tyalgum 9541-31, Grid reference: 167 721. I have this map and there is no way the reference of 167 721 is valid for the particular map that I have. Not even close. The QTOPO online maps that are now the way to go do not use this co-ordinate system either.

Any ideas?
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Maps showing location of Lamington remote camp sites?

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 7:23 pm

Echo Point campsite is midway along the Albert River Circuit and just a short distance (160 m) in the direction of the waterfalls (i.e. north) from Echo Point lookout. It is a large and obvious campsite, you will have no problems finding it. There is a large sign immediately adjacent to the campsite indicating the distances back to Green Mountains in either direction.

Which other remote sites are you planning to stay at? Several of them are adjacent to the main tracks and are difficult to miss.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 9:23 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:Which other remote sites are you planning to stay at? Several of them are adjacent to the main tracks and are difficult to miss.
Well, Rat-a-Tat will be the next, I think. I know where the Bithongabel one is as I have passed it. Illinbah might be ok as well if I can ever find it.

Some of the others might be a bit hard to get to, especially as there currently seems no way of knowing where they are. Probably not fit enough anyway.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 9:40 pm

I might have worked something out....

Echo point
Location: Map sheet: Tyalgum 9541-31, Grid reference: 167 721

by looking at the map, and knowing about where the camp is located, this actually refers to the grid reference 5167 68721. It seems that on the website they decided to leave off the first few digits. Weird. That should make things a bit easier.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ken333 » Tue 13 Sep, 2016 2:56 pm

As of about 5 years ago, the Illinbah campsite was at: 56J 516619E, 6884862N (GDA94). There was a signpost beside the track and another at the campsite, but there wasnt a distinct track into the campsite.
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby Swellerfungus » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 8:58 pm

Are you still looking for information about Echo Point?
Swellerfungus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kneighbour » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:16 pm

Swellerfungus wrote:Are you still looking for information about Echo Point?
No, thanks. I worked out the grid coordinate system being used by the websites. As mentioned above, they were leaving off a few digits. So I have worked out where it is (plus a few other sites).

I am booked in for this Saturday, so starting to get my gear ready as we speak. Still trying to work out my new Aarn pack, so that has been a bit of a bother. But getting to Echo Point is rather easy, so not too bothered. Not like Mt Barney!

If I am feeling fit on the Sunday, might do a side trip down to Rat-a-Tat just to see where it is. The hike back from Echo Point along the border path is pretty easy - but will see how fit I feel and how the new pack works out. I could just leave all my stuff at Echo Point and duck down to Rat-a-Tat with just a day pack.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Swellerfungus » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:41 pm

Its funny, because I was trying to book Echo Point this Saturday night too. Instead my group is now going to Rat-A-Tat Hut. We might see you out on the track! Good luck
Swellerfungus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Swellerfungus » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 9:45 pm

We just completed at a trip to Lizard Point as an overnighter. Up Mt Steamers, Lizard Pt, Mt Roberts, Mt Superbus and down via the Lincoln Bomber wreck. Seriously one of the best walks in SEQLD! Lets talk about it if we meet up.
Swellerfungus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kneighbour » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 10:15 pm

Swellerfungus wrote:Its funny, because I was trying to book Echo Point this Saturday night too. Instead my group is now going to Rat-A-Tat Hut. We might see you out on the track! Good luck
Ha! beat you to it - I booked it a week or so back. Might see you then - I am the big fat guy with the Aarn pack - ie big pockets out the front like boobs...
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 10:17 pm

Swellerfungus wrote:We just completed at a trip to Lizard Point as an overnighter. Up Mt Steamers, Lizard Pt, Mt Roberts, Mt Superbus and down via the Lincoln Bomber wreck. Seriously one of the best walks in SEQLD! Lets talk about it if we meet up.
Absolutely. Always looking for new walks.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Swellerfungus » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 10:19 pm

We will be a group of 5. 3m 2f, I'm the big guy as well - red shirt. See you then. We will be leaving Oriellys at about 7am
Swellerfungus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 7:55 pm

kneighbour wrote:If I am feeling fit on the Sunday, might do a side trip down to Rat-a-Tat just to see where it is. The hike back from Echo Point along the border path is pretty easy - but will see how fit I feel and how the new pack works out. I could just leave all my stuff at Echo Point and duck down to Rat-a-Tat with just a day pack.

Just take care - it will be at least 3 hours return walk from Echo Point to Rat-a-tat moving quickly with a day pack. The romp through the bush is much slower going than on the graded track.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 8:46 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:
kneighbour wrote:If I am feeling fit on the Sunday, might do a side trip down to Rat-a-Tat just to see where it is. The hike back from Echo Point along the border path is pretty easy - but will see how fit I feel and how the new pack works out. I could just leave all my stuff at Echo Point and duck down to Rat-a-Tat with just a day pack.

Just take care - it will be at least 3 hours return walk from Echo Point to Rat-a-tat moving quickly with a day pack. The romp through the bush is much slower going than on the graded track.
Ok, good advice. Might leave that for another day then.

I am now staying 2 nights - returning on the Monday. But I am moving to Bithongabel for Sunday night as Echo Point is booked by someone else (you guys?) on the Sunday. Suits me as I am nearer O'Reilly's for the quick walk back on Monday morning.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 9:45 pm

If on day 2 you are just headed from echo point direct to Bithongabel, you will have plenty of time to 'duck down' to rat-a-tat if you are inclined to do some exploring. Just as long as you are aware you'll need a few hours for it!

If you have the time on the last day, it's well worth visiting the waterfalls along the Toolona Creek circuit on the way back to O'reillys.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 6:13 am

Champion_Munch wrote:If on day 2 you are just headed from echo point direct to Bithongabel, you will have plenty of time to 'duck down' to rat-a-tat if you are inclined to do some exploring. Just as long as you are aware you'll need a few hours for it!

If you have the time on the last day, it's well worth visiting the waterfalls along the Toolona Creek circuit on the way back to O'reillys.
I have done the Toolona Creek circuit from the O'Reilly's end and you are correct - well worth visiting. But that trip was a pretty hard one -almost 20km, and very cold. My mate was totally unprepared, and we got back just on dark, so it was a walk to remember.

I thought the Border Track went all the way for miles down the NSW border, so not sure why the Rat-a-tat camp is off track. I might wander down a bit and have a look - just not go all the way. I have never been off track yet, so it might be interesting.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 8:04 am

The graded track ends at echo point, beyond that it's just a footpad. If you're camping at echo point it can't hurt having a wander around - the rainforest is particularly scenic in that area, and there are some great beech stands around Mount Worendo
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 8:42 am

Champion_Munch wrote:The graded track ends at echo point, beyond that it's just a footpad. If you're camping at echo point it can't hurt having a wander around - the rainforest is particularly scenic in that area, and there are some great beech stands around Mount Worendo
Sorry to be so dense - what is a footpad? My understanding is that it is a robber/bandit/highwayman. Probably not one of those.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Swellerfungus » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 10:47 am

A footpad is a less worn, or overgrown track. Often they were well graded tracks that have been left to ruin due to QNPS funding. At least walk up to Mt Worendo, you might catch us heading out. I am thinking of returning via Albert Creek Circuit, and you are welcome to join us.
Swellerfungus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Lamington walks

Postby wombeyan » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 9:22 am

I have walk from border loop to Binna Burra. I was on the Brisbane train and organised it to stop at Border look, then I walked to Richmond Gap and then followed the border fence east to Nungulba and along a foot pad to the escarpment. From there a foot pas sticks to the ridges along the escarpment until the stratcher track and then on to Rat a Tat hut. The track improves from there ober Throakban and Bithongabel where the tourist track netword is reached and from there Binna Burra is easily accessibe. The walk took 3 days. My great grandfather was william Rowland who along with Roberts put down the original border survey in the 1850s so I was actually following my great grandfather's blaze marks.
Someone made a comment that it was surprising to see someon like me walking these tracks in my 70s. I think that comment is a bit behind the times. I am about 10 to 15 years younger than some of the walk leaders in my bushwalking club, Sydney Bushwalkers. Going up Barney was no problem although I wouldn't recomment Lindsay at any age
wombeyan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: nil
Region: New South Wales

Postby wombeyan » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 9:24 am

Does anyone know the state of the Stinson wreck on the Stretcher track. Is it still recognisable?
wombeyan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: nil

Postby Swellerfungus » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 12:50 am

I had a few friends do the stretcher track a few months ago. Very doable. They overnighted at Point Lookout. The crash site is but a few meagre scraps of metal I'm afraid. Nothing impressive, but the feeling you get there is well worth the effort.
Swellerfungus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Lamington walks

Postby ESA » Sat 07 Jul, 2018 5:36 pm

wombeyan wrote: then I walked to Richmond Gap and then followed the border fence east to Nungulba and along a foot pad to the escarpment. From there a foot pas sticks to the ridges along the escarpment until the stratcher track and then on to Rat a Tat hut. The track improves from

Can you tell me the condition of the walk up from Richmond Gap (up Mt Gipps) I have read elsewhere that the fence is long gone and the track overgrown and a nightmare. I did the scenic rim walk back in 1978 and remember the climb up Mt Gipps but little else of that section. I am hoping to do just what you describe - walk from Richmond Gap to Binna Burra or perhaps Springbrook with one of my grown children (a competent walker, has done the PCT) Do you think we will find our way to the Stretcher Track? Thanks for any advice
ESA
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland