Big River crossing

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Big River crossing

Postby DavidB » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 9:48 am

G'day
Planning to walk the section Mt Hotham to Thredbo in the first half of November. There will be 5 in the group. Have heard that with plenty of recent rain and a big snow melt, the rivers in the Victorian high country are running pretty high. Doea anyone have any current info on the water level where the AAWT crosses the Big River (and where the track along Timms Spur crosses the Big River, in case we go via Mt Bogong). Also is the chain across the river still in place?
Cheers
DavidB
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Big River crossing

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 10:09 am

David, welcome to the forum. There's a thread with details about this
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24231

As far as I'm aware the T Spur chain is still in place, although it could get swept away by big debris. The crossing at the foot of Timms is much easier. You have to make a decision where the AAWT leaves the Timms Track. Going over Bogong adds minimal time if you intend to bag Bogong via T Spur. There's also less descent and climbing via Timms. The AWT went two ways, Timms and Duane, and it's arguable that the AAWT should do the same.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 11:01 am

You can also go out along Grey Hills to Bogong Creek Saddle and up Quartz Ridge to Bogong. Turn off the AAWT at Warby Corner towards Spion Kopje. This avoids any crossing of Big River.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 11:35 am

Mark F wrote:You can also go out along Grey Hills to Bogong Creek Saddle and up Quartz Ridge to Bogong. Turn off the AAWT at Warby Corner towards Spion Kopje. This avoids any crossing of Big River.

Ah yes, should have mentioned that. I do not know the precise figure but I reckon there's about 200 metres of climbing over Grey Hills. Coming out just past Big River Saddle means about 100 metres of climbing missed coming up from Big River, so it's not too much extra climbing. My maps say the distances are
Warby-Timms-Cairn Ck turnoff 12 kilometres
Warby-Grey Hills-Cairn Ck turnoff 14 kilometres
So it will be an hour or so extra via Grey Hills, much nicer than the Timms Road. There's reasonably reliable water near Big River Saddle, and the road is flat there, suitable for camping. However, a management vehicle will ruin this.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 5:21 am

Lots of ups and downs but nothing huge until Quartz ridge if you go the Grey Hills way. The track from Spione Kopje to link the Grey Hills is difficult to find coming from Warby corner. I just saw the Grey Hills ridge line and walked to it. Could not find any track leading west to link it either (from Howmans) just heathy scrub. The walking is pretty good but not as quick as Timms. I have never had any trouble camping at the saddle and you can keep the road clear easily with 5 people. It is not used much anyway. Phone reception is reasonable at the helipad. I would think a month would see the rivers return to something like normal and there should be some reports from people crossing. I have no plans to go there to look myself just yet. Big River at Timms is doable most times and will only be a problem after very recent heavy rain. All gone in an hour or so. Timms spur is boring so I would opt for the Grey Hills if you divert regardless of the river. Navigation is relatively easy and water can be found on Spione Kopje before you hit the Grey Hills (old aqueduct).
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 12:07 pm

Never mind the river, I always preferred Grey Hills just to avoid the boring road bash down Timms (though the ridgeline is fun, until you have to descend) and, more importantly, Duanes.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Snowzone » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 7:23 am

Chain across big river was broken a few weeks ago so unless someone has replaced it I would presume it is not in place.
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Xplora » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 4:50 am

Snowzone wrote:Chain across big river was broken a few weeks ago so unless someone has replaced it I would presume it is not in place.

Were you there and if so were you able to cross? I would say it is up to Parks to fix it so if the info came from you first hand or a reliable source I can send an email to one of my contacts at Mt. Beauty. I doubt it will get fixed soon anyway. Thanks for the info.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Snowzone » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 7:13 am

Xplora wrote:
Snowzone wrote:Chain across big river was broken a few weeks ago so unless someone has replaced it I would presume it is not in place.

Were you there and if so were you able to cross? I would say it is up to Parks to fix it so if the info came from you first hand or a reliable source I can send an email to one of my contacts at Mt. Beauty. I doubt it will get fixed soon anyway. Thanks for the info.

My friends crossed it in August, they tried to pull it back across and reattach it but were unable to. At that time the level was thigh deep and fast flowing. I seen the video they shot so completely reliable source.
Snowzone

Postby Xplora » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 6:03 am

Thanks for confirming the source. I have shot an email off.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DavidB » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks all for the good advice. We'll be leaving Hotham this Wednesday (9th) and aiming to reach Thredbo in about 2 weeks. We'll take the Quartz Ridge option to Bogong. Might see some of you along the way. 4 of us in the group.
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby tom_b » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 7:37 pm

I crossed Big River about two weeks ago. There was a chain there and I had no reservations about crossing it solo. The water did not get up to my pack.
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to AAWT