Rooftop Maps for NSW /ACT part of AAWT

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Rooftop Maps for NSW /ACT part of AAWT

Postby dashandsaph » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 10:14 am

Hi,
I'm considering the Rooftop maps for Kosciusko North and Namadgi/ACT South which will cover almost all of the NSW/ACT sections of the AAWT at 1:50k rather than many 1:25k maps. Any comments on their accuracy and usability for this purpose? Also, are they available in a digital georeferenced format to load on the phone?

Thanks
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Rooftop Maps for NSW /ACT part of AAWT

Postby Mark F » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 11:47 am

The Rooftop Kosciuszko North map covers from Pond Creek Flats to just south of 4 Mile Hut which is almost all on vehicle tracks and easily navigated just using Chapman's maps - I have just compared them side by side. The two small sections not along vehicle tracks are from Pond Creek down to the Cotter and from the Port Phillip Trail to the Murrumbidgee. For these off track sections I would again suggest Chapman which provides adequate and far better detail than the Rooftop map.

I don't have the Rooftop map for Namadgi but would suspect the same - Chapman's maps are quite adequate. You do need to be aware that many maps including the 1:25k lpi topo maps do not correctly show the location of the walking track between Tharwa and and the Cotter Gap as the track was relocated after the 2003 bushfires. Chapman's maps are correct. The track sections are reasonably well maintained and junctions signed so quite easy to follow although Ponds Creek to Cotter Gap needs a little care if going S-N. If going N-S you need to be careful as it is easy to walk past where the track turns off the old 4wd trail on Bushfold Flats as it just looks like grassland until you get to the trees.

I don't believe the Rooftop maps are available in topopdf format for phones.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby dashandsaph » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the speedy and informative response.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 4:52 pm

I used the rooftops Namadgi South and Kosciusko Nth and found them good enough to get to Kiandra but the "Kosciuszko National Park Forest Activities Map" is rather useless so you're better off getting the 1:25k for anything south of Kiandra to Thredbo. It's good for a large overview of Jagungal and The Main Range but hopeless for showing the topography.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dashandsaph » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 8:02 am

I have the SV Maps Kosciusko Alpine Area map which is 1:50k and seems (without using it on the ground) to be a reasonable map. If it's good, with Chapman, I'm hoping that should comfortably cover me from Mackey's Hut south to over the border (except for the four mile hut to Mackey's hut gap which I'll cover with LPI 1:25k). Any views on the SV map?
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 9:45 am

Depending on your planned route I would much prefer to see you with the 1:25k sheets Geehi and Perisher to cover the Rolling Grounds and Main Range where rain and cloud can cause serious navigational problems. Add Jagungal if you are going cross country to Schlink. This is where you need the best available maps. These sections can seem very easy in good weather but even intermittent cloud etc can change their difficulty to severe very quickly.

I wouldn't bother with maps other than Chapman for the section from 4 mile hut to Mackays, it is spread over 4 1:25k sheets and is all fire trail. The track down to 4 mile hut is marked from the saddle.

If planning on doing the Pilot or the Cobberas get the Victorian 1:25k 8524-3-N Cobberas North sheet. This is the best map for those off track sections if doing them.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby dashandsaph » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks Mark. Been a while since I've been in there and it sounds like good advice.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to AAWT