Inform others of your position on lone hike

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Inform others of your position on lone hike

Postby nevw » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi
I am normally accompanied by others on bush walks but occasionally others are not available. I carry the usual array of paraphernalia like maps, compass, iphone4, etrex30, food, first aid items. I am reluctant to use my phone and I don't have a personal locator beacon yet, but will buy one if this happens more frequently. The phone apps that record tracks are normally a bit reluctant to forward position or a track-so-far every now and then, by email and normally require a paid subscription and waste the battery power which I would like to conserve anyway. Currently, in addition to providing someone with my plans and route, I have settled on copying the gps lat lon from the etrex to an email and sending this off every hour or so if within phone reception.
I was wondering what others do in an endeavor to act in a responsible manner to those who may care of your whereabouts when such occasions arise ....and you do take a risk.
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Inform others of your position on lone hike

Postby RonK » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 7:37 pm

Get a Delorme Inreach. That is what I did.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 8:00 pm

a Spot is one way. any method that is reliable will have a cost. as far as I know Spots can be rented, so that might be worth a thought instead of the outlay if you feel you will have limited use. or just fork out for the EPIRB and call it good. depends on what people hat home expect/demand. As an aside SMS is generally a more reliable situation than email as it requires less of a signal to get through.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 8:54 pm

Detailed plans left with wife plus any possible sidetrips (waterfalls, clifflines, spurs, ridges) I might get curious about, marked on it.
Plus time due back.
If camping on summits with phone reception I touch base with a evening call. All other times it's turned off.
Have a PLB as a backup....$50 a year for the duration of a 7year battery life is cheap insurance in my book.

I think I read somewhere you can also rent PLB's if needed...
Last edited by ofuros on Mon 24 Oct, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nevw » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 11:15 pm

Thanks for your ideas. I notice that PLBs can be bought for under $300 and that the user can the change the batteries in a few of them too. The free GPSies.com app has free live tracking but it only works with a couple of Android apps currently. My iphone4 is a bit old for most of the latest apps as they require a later operating system.
I will continue with the email or sms at intervals for now, [edit based on GPSGuided advice...] with the clear understanding that no messages being received does mean a problem and that non-receipt of a call sometime after the expected walk completion is the time to consider my welfare, but that any messages during the walk may assist in likely location.
Last edited by nevw on Mon 24 Oct, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby geoskid » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 6:59 am

nevw wrote:I was wondering what others do in an endeavor to act in a responsible manner to those who may care of your whereabouts when such occasions arise ....and you do take a risk.

I leave a map and carry a PLB. That's it. We have had talks about risk over the years, and luckily my wife has been on many walks so is up with what's involved.
I think I would help an overly anxious spouse to understand the risk better and come to terms with them, rather than check in several times a day. If I had a spot I would hit the OK button each night.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 7:13 am

I'd say have a consistent reporting system e.g. InReach or SPOT, or not have any but have a PLB. Intermittent inconsistent reporting will likely bring more worries and problems in a real disaster.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby GBW » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 4:48 pm

I use a Spot gen3. It's small, light and reliable. I hit the OK button each night to tell whoever I decide that all's well. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21795&hilit=+spot
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby lee737 » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 5:00 pm

I have a Spot 3 and a PLB. I would estimate success rate of Spot messages being delivered at 90-95% - highly dependent on where you are, especially in relation to gullies and heavy overhead tree cover. Tracking blips success rate much lower. Still quite happy with it, will look at the Delorme products next I think. The yearly access fee for the Spot costs more than the purchase price of the unit.....
lee737
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lindsay » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 5:58 pm

ofuros wrote:Detailed plans left with wife plus any possible sidetrips (waterfalls, clifflines, spurs, ridges) I might get curious about, marked on it.
Plus time due back.
If camping on summits with phone reception I touch base with a evening call. All other times it's turned off.
Have a PLB as a backup....$50 a year for the duration of a 7year battery life is cheap insurance in my book.

Me too, I also include a specific time to alert the police, generally expected end time plus 24 hours, depending on the walk. I leave the phone off until I've finished the walk then check in.
Lindsay

Postby Snowzone » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 1:51 pm

Lindsay wrote:
ofuros wrote:Detailed plans left with wife plus any possible sidetrips (waterfalls, clifflines, spurs, ridges) I might get curious about, marked on it.
Plus time due back.

Me too, I also include a specific time to alert the police, generally expected end time plus 24 hours, depending on the walk. I leave the phone off until I've finished the walk then check in.

+2
I have trained family that no news is good news and to give some overdue time. I carry a plb and if the button gets pushed they would be notified as one of the contacts. If the button is not pushed everything is ok. I check in occasionally from a high point.
Snowzone

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 1:07 pm

Mostly I don't worry about it. That's the upside to having no-one who'll miss me if the worst happens.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby peregrinator » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 2:04 pm

north-north-west wrote:Mostly I don't worry about it. That's the upside to having no-one who'll miss me if the worst happens.

Wrong. After 8602 informative, illuminating and amusing posts here, you'd be missed alright!
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jktrapdoor007 » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 8:42 pm

I do loads of solo hikes because I absolutely love it. I leave my itinerary with someone at home and work. I carry a KTI PLB and leave my phone off. Go to kti.com.au. It's designed and manufactured in Australia.
jktrapdoor007
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby roysta » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 4:00 pm

jktrapdoor007 wrote:I do loads of solo hikes because I absolutely love it. I leave my itinerary with someone at home and work. I carry a KTI PLB and leave my phone off. Go to kti.com.au. It's designed and manufactured in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Postby roysta » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 4:01 pm

A good piece of kit the KTi and can be bought for $270

roysta

Postby slparker » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 6:21 pm

roysta wrote:A good piece of kit the KTi and can be bought for $270

Yep, light and small enough to take mountain biking.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nevw » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 11:55 am

I decided to get a KTI SA2G plb http://kti.com.au/safety-alert-plb/ as it is Australian made and the cost was $270 with a 10yr guarantee, that works out to be $27/yr for a solid emergency rescue option.
You register 3 emergency contacts with AMSA and can lodge your plans online with them before departure so I think that is that is a good outcome for me as I will lodge plans with the emergency contact/s too.

I was also considering the SPOT Gen3 GPS Satellite Messenger with the advantage of sending messages to others but at $200 for initial outlay and annual subscription fees on top is was bit too steep for me. http://au.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103

My family is happy with the decision too and will get a call from AMSA if the plb is ever activated and that's what counts most to me.

I really appreciate all your suggestions.
Nev
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 1:14 pm

Good arrangement, one that's practical for most.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Solohike74 » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 6:31 pm

I send an SMS and/or do a phone call when in range once or twice daily when I can, as in Alpine walking reception is not available at all campsites. With Telstra 3G you'd be surprised the availability of marginal SMS cover near some of the Proms Southern Circuit campsites and anywhere you can see Mt Oberon you are set. At the Bogong High Plains I've only had absolutely no service around Blairs Hut and the lower parts of Diamantina Spur......as well as some lower Parts of the Tom Kneen Track I had no cover. I usually don't hike with a PLB. When the opportunities arise, I will hike with others. I've done alpine walking alone, in all seasons as well as a number of other walks in all seasons too. Half my walks annually may be done alone.
Solohike74
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA; Friends of: Bogong, The Prom, Cobberas, Baw Baw
Region: Australia

Postby HikerBrad » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 9:09 pm

Map indicating planned hiking route, text message when I get back to the car, instructions on time to allow after intended completion time, paid up insurance.....
HikerBrad
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby TerraMer » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 2:13 pm

north-north-west wrote:Mostly I don't worry about it. That's the upside to having no-one who'll miss me if the worst happens.

ditto
but i make all my walks a platform for raising awareness of important issues through social media. I suspect a lot of people are happy not to be nagged when i out of range.
thehappywalkblog.wordpress.com
Solo unaccompanied walk around Australia
Sponsored by The Australian Geographic Society
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Happy Walk
Region: Australia

Postby benoloughlin » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 3:20 pm

nevw wrote:I was wondering what others do in an endeavor to act in a responsible manner to those who may care of your whereabouts when such occasions arise ....and you do take a risk.

I tell people at least one person when they can expect me back to base or receive a call. Usually someone who has the sense to call for help if they do not hear from me.
Leave an itinerary with the same person/s.
I always carry a PLB, mobile phone, first aid kit and at least an additional day's food.
Don't take any unnecessary risks.
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 9:24 pm

I add my planned route to my Google Calendar, which I have shared with my family. This has the advantage that if my plans change I can easily update it anywhere I have phone coverage.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Tim-Australian Hiker » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 8:12 pm

So many options! I usually hike either with my wife or alone, I'm not a fan of groups. In both situations I will carry a PLB which I update on line for each hike so that the information is current. I will carry a phone however many of my hikes have no phone signal. I notify family, provide them with a detailed itinerary, and will call them to all to tell them I'm back. I' m planning some long distance solo hikes over the next 2 years and will invest in a Satellite Phone and swap out the PLB for a SPOT, more for peace of mind for the family.

Tim Savage
http://www.australianhiker.com.au
Tim-Australian Hiker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Australian Hiker
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 7:08 am

Be very wary of posting details about trips on the internet, evens ecure areas. Thieves monitor these and target people who are away. It's best to give written advice, and maybe laod a trip plan onto the contact's computer without citing the walker's name, address, or any other identifying information.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby RonK » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 10:31 am

When I read this thread, I can't help but sense a cerain hubris from some of the posters.

After Andrew Gaskell's recent misadventure I'd have thought people would have become more circumspect.

Andrew's experience surely shows that it can happen to you.
RonK

Postby Lindsay » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 3:44 pm

RonK wrote:When I read this thread, I can't help but sense a cerain hubris from some of the posters.

After Andrew Gaskell's recent misadventure I'd have thought people would have become more circumspect.

All of us who bushwalk accept there is an element of risk and that this is slightly increased for those of us who walk alone. However I think that the posters have indicated that they do everything that is reasonably possible to ensure that they will not need rescuing, and if they do the best information is available to the rescuers.
Lindsay

Postby north-north-west » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 4:36 pm

RonK wrote:When I read this thread, I can't help but sense a cerain hubris from some of the posters.

I carry a PLB. Sometimes I even take my mobile. Usually I put trip details (or at least a long list of options) on the AMSA site.
But, given that often I don't make up my mind exactly where I'm going until I'm there, informing all and sundry of rigid plans isn't practical. One of the things I like about walking is that I can make it up as I go along. And yeah, there's a very good reason for me to do my walking like that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby RonK » Sat 10 Dec, 2016 2:53 pm

Lindsay wrote:

All of us who bushwalk accept there is an element of risk and that this is slightly increased for those of us who walk alone. However I think that the posters have indicated that they do everything that is reasonably possible to ensure that they will not need rescuing, and if they do the best information is available to the rescuers.

Everything? I don't think so.

To exemplify my point. Missing Tasmanian
RonK

Next

Return to Bushwalking Discussion