BNT / AAWT

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

BNT / AAWT

Postby alanm » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi everyone,

A quick query, for no particular reason other than curiosity, how close are the BNT and AAWT together between Vic and Canberra.

Cheers.
Al.
It seemed like a good idea.....at the time.....
alanm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: BNT / AAWT

Postby neilmny » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 5:25 am

The AAWT starts in Walhalla and BNT in Healesville for starters.
Ufortunately you have to buy the maps of the BNT from http://www.bicentennialnationaltrail.com.au/ to find out exactly where it goes. :roll:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby GBW » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 4:08 pm

There's a few places where the AAWT and BNT intersect...here's one near Oldfields Hut in NSW with Bimberi in the background. The yellow marker is an AAWT marker, the other BNT. This is the edge of the Bimberi Wilderness Area so the BNT follows an alternate route to Tharwa to avoid this area. I have a GPS of the BNT somewhere so I'll have a look where the intersecting points are when I can.

IMG_3038.JPG
Near Oldfields Hut

Another one...

IMG_4497.JPG
Grey Mare Firetrail at Happy Jacks Road

The BNT also follows Barkley Jeep Track from Jam-Licola rd to Rumpff Saddle then veers south east before Peters Gorge towards Glencairn then north to the Howitt Plains via the Macalister River and Butcher Country Track.

IMG_8647.JPG
Near Rumpff Saddle...AAWT left, BNT straight

BNT-AAWT.JPG
Last edited by GBW on Tue 01 Nov, 2016 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby alanm » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:33 pm

neilmny, I'm very fortunate to already own both sets of maps and guide books :D ..... but they're at home, some 1200 km's away :( ....... When next at home I'll dig 'em out for a comparison.

GBW, Thanks for the pics, they look great. If you ever trip over that GPS file of the BNT, I'd really appreciate it. I've imported a KML file I found of the QLD section into OziExplorer and it's great to use for research. I hope to leave Cooktown in the first week of April 2017 and toddle off to Healesville. Must say, I'm really looking forward to it.....it'll give me something to do over a long weekend...... :lol:

Cheers.
Al.
alanm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GBW » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 8:30 pm

alanm wrote:GBW, Thanks for the pics, they look great. If you ever trip over that GPS file of the BNT, I'd really appreciate it. I've imported a KML file I found of the QLD section into OziExplorer and it's great to use for research. I hope to leave Cooktown in the first week of April 2017 and toddle off to Healesville. Must say, I'm really looking forward to it.....it'll give me something to do over a long weekend...... :lol:

That's quite a toddle!

Alan, I don't know how old the file is and can't vouch for it's accuracy but it covers Healesville to Canberra. There are a couple of small sections missing through Marysville and from Limestone Creek to Tom Groggin (goes up Mt Hope Track or via Davies Plains Track according to the updates) but if you think it will help I'll send it to you.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 6:04 am

alanm wrote:......... I hope to leave Cooktown in the first week of April 2017 and toddle off to Healesville. Must say, I'm really looking forward to it.....it'll give me something to do over a long weekend...... :lol:

Cheers.
Al.

No worries Alan after all it's all down hill from Cooktown :wink:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 9:50 am

neilmny wrote:No worries Alan after all it's all down hill from Cooktown :wink:

That seems reasonable. The AAWT is hard only for the first 660 kilometres. It's probable that the BNT is similar, just plug in the distance.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby alanm » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 2:23 pm

GBW, PM sent.

Al.
alanm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alanm » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 2:28 pm

Lophophaps wrote:
neilmny wrote:No worries Alan after all it's all down hill from Cooktown :wink:

That seems reasonable. The AAWT is hard only for the first 660 kilometres. It's probable that the BNT is similar, just plug in the distance.

I reckon you've both hit the nail on the head! :)

Al.
alanm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alanm » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 11:53 am

GBW, mate, where did you dig up that pic of the map. I've looked for it but can't find it.

Cheers.
Al.
alanm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GBW » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 4:24 pm

I did a screen print of the AAWT/BNT tracks in basecamp. If you want more detailed maps I can produce them.
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to AAWT