A bit of a rant about anti-social ignorance

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

A bit of a rant about anti-social ignorance

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 7:02 am

My brother and I just came back from Pretty Valley after retrieving my broken gear.
What is it about people that they can't tell the difference between a rubbish bag and a recycling bag?
We took 4 bags of rubbish from the hut back down to Falls Creek, all mixed up in clearly marked 4-Site recycling bags mixed in with the glass/steel cans etc, stinking rotten food scraps and babies disposable nappies.
The road has only been open a few days and already the morons seem to have taken over
This is on top of finding the sealed plastic drums with all my gear had been opened and the contents strewn all over the camping area, looks like I'm missing an old Swiss army sleeping bag and the Cherry Ripes and Snickers/Mars bars gone along with the few fuel canisters I had in there as well.
I can't be bothered reporting the theft to the local police, they simply can't be bothered with petty crimes and do not have the wherewithal to investigate even if they were interested
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: A bit of a rant about anti-social ignorance

Postby neilmny » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 7:58 am

They can tell the difference MD they probably just ignore it......the ignorant @#$%! Probably the same types find it necessary to leave a sheet of TP everywhere they pee.
What sort of cretin would open your drums then just spread it all around.......as for taking what is not theirs........our society is rapidly heading down the poo... in that respect.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 10:10 am

Sorry to hear.

Whilst your items are yours, when you leave them in a remote but public area, then you do have to accept that some people will take anything they like.

It's not like they broke into your home. If you leave a bunch of stuff on the nature strip anything of interest will disappear pretty quickly. Same happens up in the hills, just more slowly.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:02 pm

Acknowledged, it is the opening of the drums and the scattering that bothers me more than anything.
It won't happen next year as that will be an in&out trip less that 8 weeks long and no pre-season stash or late season pick-up needed
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby newhue » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 4:36 pm

Yes no good at all. Small minded people don't stop for a second to think someone might be banking on those supplies.
Could birds have attacked the bags? If it was, pity they didn't scatter scatter brains brains.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby jdeks » Thu 08 Dec, 2016 9:25 am

Trail cameras are getting quite cheap. $300 for two here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-12MP-Litt ... SwAvJXBHU8

I know a guy who uses these with his truck when he goes bike riding, which is often left unattended for extended periods . One at the van to catch the offenders, one at the nearest road/parking spot to get the plates of departing miscreants. Has led to successful prosecution of plebs before.

As for litterbugs - only way is to confront them in the act, unfortunately.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Return to Between Bushwalks