Hiking Food with Dietry Issues/IBD

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Hiking Food with Dietry Issues/IBD

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi.

Have just been diagnosed with IBD (different to IBS).

Any other hikers have this, and how do you manage with multiday trips/what food do you take?

Obviously next few months will be a big learning curve for me wrt food management, but once the initial inflammation is mitigated I'd like to know what people have on their hiking menu in these scenarios - what does and doesn't work.

PM me if you don't feel comfortable talking about it publically. I'm hoping it won't restrict a 7 day trip I have planned in 5 weeks time.

Perhaps I'll also revisit the topic in 6-12 months time for the benefit of walkers in the future.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Re: Hiking Food with Dietry Issues/IBD

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 7:01 pm

Family member has it [ as part of Crohns] yoghurt and plenty of extra toilet paper
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewa » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 8:47 pm

Are you meaning "inflammatory bowel disease ", which encompasses Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis, as distinct from " irritable bowel syndrome" which is a more functional bowel concept?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 9:18 pm

Yes IBD. Not IBS.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby Hisham » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 11:36 pm

How do you treat it?

I follow FODMAP diet which helps me but haven't been formally diagnosed with anything. I'm guessing I may have IBS or similar
Hisham
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 11:54 pm

Initially it is treated with a low fibre diet to settle it, but after that it's very individual as to what diets work for different people (or so google tells me).

I add calories when hiking by using lots of full cream milk powder, which can be detrimental. I'll need to find another alternative which is very high calorie but light.

Perhaps I'll have to go down the route of buying a dehydrator so I can manage my own ingredients rather than commercial products.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby ErichFromm » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 4:43 am

I've recently started using perpetuem solids, a long distance solid powder that has all you need: protein, fat etc. Used by endurance athletes it's popular for being easy on the stomach. Tastes like chalk though...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 6:22 am

If you have Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, I hope you've been off to see a Gastroenterologist to get treated appropriately.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 7:48 am

Sitting in hospital bed, and have been for the last 5 days - doing exactly that :)

Have a trip booked in five weeks so just trying to get ideas for food and have all my ducks in a row before we depart!
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby slparker » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 8:33 am

Book to see a dietician for dietary advice and a gastroenterologist for pharmaceutical management.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ambrose47 » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 5:39 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Hi.

Have just been diagnosed with IBD (different to IBS).

Any other hikers have this, and how do you manage with multiday trips/what food do you take?

Obviously next few months will be a big learning curve for me wrt food management, but once the initial inflammation is mitigated I'd like to know what people have on their hiking menu in these scenarios - what does and doesn't work.

PM me if you don't feel comfortable talking about it publically. I'm hoping it won't restrict a 7 day trip I have planned in 5 weeks time.

Perhaps I'll also revisit the topic in 6-12 months time for the benefit of walkers in the future.

I have ulcerative colitis was diagnosed July 2014 don't let it stop you. I have done 2 x 10 day tramps around Stewart Island 2 x 5 day tramps in the Abel Tasman national park plus many weekend tramps and managed fine.

Its a learning experience and everyone's body is different, I'm still learning myself but more than willing to share my journey so far with you. I to struggle with the food side of things but have got myself a basic diet I can handle and am happy with. Lunches I find are the hardest but you will get there.

Any questions ask away or PM me its a *&%$#! disease but you can still live a normal life when its all under control.
ambrose47
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New Zealand

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks Ambrose.

That's reassuring to know long hikes can be managed with food.

I understand the food management at home is going to be a steep learning curve, and is made difficult because it's very unique to each individual as to what diet does and doesn't work. Looks like trail mix (tasty and high in calories) is definitely off the table, sonny snacks will require a complete rethink.

I'll still be on the steroids while I walk, so hopefully that will provide good prevention against flares.

Thanks for the comments so far.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Return to Bushwalking Discussion