easy overnight walk in Namadgi

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

easy overnight walk in Namadgi

Postby daffadil » Tue 03 Jan, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone can suggest any easy overnight walks in Namadgi. I have done some pack walks years ago, but nothing recently. I am looking for something quite short around 4-5km each way.

I have seen nursery swamp and bushfold flat recommended on older threads. Are there any other suggestions for nice walks where I can camp in an area that hopefully will have water? Is there anything I should know about these walks?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
daffadil
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: easy overnight walk in Namadgi

Postby Zapruda » Tue 03 Jan, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi Daffodil,

I would count Nursery swamp out. great day walk but you wouldn't want sleep around there at night. too many mozzies.

Bushold flats is a nice spot and an easy walk from the base of Mt Tennent.

I can also highly recommend walking along the Rendezvous creek firetrail until it ends at about 6kms. its a lovely, flat walk with lots of options to set up camp. lots of water as well.

The walk to Horse Gully hut is also very nice, although a little longer than what you wanted, about 9km each way from memory. lots of water and easy to walk. beautiful camping in the Naas Valley.

What time of year were you planning on going? Summers in Namadgi can be oppressive with the heat and the flies.

Cheers
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby daffadil » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks Zapruda,

There are some great options there. I might save the nass valley walk for my second one.

I am planning on going in summer. But as I live in Canberra, I will wait for a weekend that isn't too hot.
daffadil
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:05 am

Could walk up Stockyard Spur and camp at Pryors hut (option for a quick detour to Mt Gingera, but more than 4-5km each way).

Tennant/Bushfold is a good suggestion. If you can do a car shuffle you could walk out via Booroomba and Honeysuckle.

A few options from Orroral too... maybe up to Cotter Gap to camp (can check out Split Rock from there). A longer version would be to add a full day and head up Bimberi, but again much longer than the specified 4-5 km.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:26 am

If thinking about Bushfold Flats consider walking in from Boroomba Rocks. It is a well graded and shaded walking track, not a fire trail.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby daffadil » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:44 am

Hi,

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to head out on one soon.

Daffodil
daffadil
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT