3 person tent advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

3 person tent advice

Postby Fishy3095 » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 6:23 pm

Looking at a three person hiking tent for our family. Would be interested in anyone's thoughts on the WE Ishadow (currently on sale at Bogong for $299!!), the Mont Moondance Ex and Salewa denali III.
We are looking to use it in Tassie and Victoria hikes and maybe next year NZ. Looking at 3-4 season. Has anyone used these and your thoughts on this. Would be for 1 adults and 2 kids. Then as kids get older hopefully 3 teenagers. Also open to other options people have used. Thank you in advance.
Fishy3095
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: 3 person tent advice

Postby weeds » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 6:31 pm

We have a One Planet Goondi 3, the plan was the three kids would use it and we would use the Goondi 2.

The bride and I just did seven days on the overland track using the Goondi 3. We were happy with it performance including one night in the snow (all of 25mm of snow).

Our eldest son used the Goondi 2 for himself......the other two kids were DNS's.

I'm only familiar with the Mont above (thinking it the same one we looked at), watched it being set up in the shop

Interestingly we were asked on a number times during the walk about the Goondi, hikers wanting a closer look.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: 3 person tent advice

Postby Fishy3095 » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 8:03 pm

The Goondi 3 looks like a great tent. It appears wider than the Moondance Ex and similar in pricing with the various sales. There was a great review I read about the Goondi 1 where it withstood dumps of snow and rain at various times. Slightly heavier and floor not as durable in comparison to the Mont. But still the Goondi has a decent floor. I like that it also has option to put up Fly if you have the footprint. Mmmm lots to think about. Might come tondown to a price issue. Ishadow is a really good price but I'm keen to buy for the long term so want to make the right choice. Thanks for your reply.
Fishy3095
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment