Self Inflating Mattresses...

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Self Inflating Mattresses...

Postby Aztec » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Everyone...
Having had 2 of the internal baffles tear on my Exped inflatable (it's 18 months old - so I'm not too upset but still, having a beach ball sized lump at the end of your mattress isn't great...) - so I've decided I'm going to go back to the old trusty self inflating mattress...

What's good these days? anything new and exciting I need to have?

I was think of a Thermarest or Macpac... but open to suggestions...
Cheers,
Richard

“Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” - Thomas Mann

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Self Inflating Mattresses...

Postby Tortoise » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:32 am

I've been delighted with my NeoAir. I'd never go back to the heavy, bulky self-inflating mats. I've used my Xtherm a great deal over the past few years (?maybe 4). I haven't heard (yet) of the baffles going on these, whereas I've heard of heaps of people having that problem with the Expeds. Maybe the NeoAirs haven't been around long enough, but I'm hoping the different design/materials will make the difference.

I've recently acquired the NeoAir Womens elite, which saves some weight and bulk, and will be adequate on lots of trips. It does go back to the slippery problem, which I'll address with some silicon.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aztec » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:37 am

That is a point - maybe I'm being overly dramatic :)

... and yes, I've been reading about the issues people have been having with the Expeds...

Hmmm... ok... I'll have a look at those too :)
Cheers,
Richard

“Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” - Thomas Mann

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GregR » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:42 am

I have also had a NeoAir Allseasons for the past few years (4?) . Cant fault it for comfort. Never had an issue- I can blow it up it in 1-2 minutes. Only issue is the slipperiness so I always have to try and find a really level site or I keep sliding off it.
Probably slept on it now about 50 nights all up.

Cheers.

Greg
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 4:19 pm

GregR wrote: I can blow it up it in 1-2 minutes.

I use the pack liner or garbage bag approach (thanks guys) - floof it to get lots of air in it, scrunch it a few inches (I'm that old) down from the top, around the valve, not blocking it off. Use body weight to lean on it, making sure the air is going into the valve, not leaking around it. 2 or 3 goes and it's usually done. No blowing needed. :D
Only issue is the slipperiness so I always have to try and find a really level site or I keep sliding off it.

See http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24758 for some ideas on that one.
I also carry a small square of closed cell foam that I use for a few things. I figure if my mat eventually fails on a trip, I'll use that under whatever bit of me wants it most, and make do with my pack, clothes, emergency bivvy etc.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 4:03 pm

Most of the topmost baffle in my approx 4 yr old AllSeason went last year, but as it's only one baffle and not entirely end to end it doesn't make any practical difference to my use of the mat. A slight bulge at the very top of the mat is the only effect, and as it's where the pillow goes . . . well, who cares? More than six months on it hasn't gotten any worse.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby GregR » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 7:32 pm

Tortoise wrote:
GregR wrote: I can blow it up it in 1-2 minutes.

I use the pack liner or garbage bag approach (thanks guys) - floof it to get lots of air in it, scrunch it a few inches (I'm that old) down from the top, around the valve, not blocking it off. Use body weight to lean on it, making sure the air is going into the valve, not leaking around it. 2 or 3 goes and it's usually done. No blowing needed. :D
Only issue is the slipperiness so I always have to try and find a really level site or I keep sliding off it.

See http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24758 for some ideas on that one.
I also carry a small square of closed cell foam that I use for a few things. I figure if my mat eventually fails on a trip, I'll use that under whatever bit of me wants it most, and make do with my pack, clothes, emergency bivvy etc.

I get the idea of keeping the mat from slipping, but my issue is me sliding off the thing- maybe I'm missing something here? But not sure how that discussion helps me??
GregR

Postby Tortoise » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 9:15 pm

GregR wrote:I get the idea of keeping the mat from slipping, but my issue is me sliding off the thing- maybe I'm missing something here? But not sure how that discussion helps me??

The non-slip stuff Simon uses can be wrapped around top and bottom. It stopped me from slipping down the mat (as well as stopping the mat sliding on the floor of the tent). Presumably silicon could be used on top of the mat to help stop you sliding off it. I took it to be a slippery mat issue, but maybe I misunderstood what you meant.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 9:26 am

Aztec,
take a look at the Thermarest ProLite plus.
Thinner than inflatable but I think they are a lot safer not having baffles inside.
I don't remember seeing comments about one of those failing, of course some will but not a common occurrence if at all.
I have an old version of the ProLite but prefer the Neo Air or Exped, but one Exped (DM7) has failed on me.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Sat 21 Jan, 2017 9:16 pm

GregR wrote:I can blow it up it in 1-2 minutes

Tortoise wrote:I use the ... garbage bag approach

One can easily make one's own inflation bag - much cheaper and lighter than commercial ones, faster, cleaner and easier than blowing, fits every mat I've tried (from old thermarest to neoair , S2S and Exped and others)

The link to the DIY post is viewtopic.php?f=53&t=21748

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Return to Equipment