Sleeping bags - Mont vs Mac Pac and ideas for kids sleeping

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Sleeping bags - Mont vs Mac Pac and ideas for kids sleeping

Postby Fishy3095 » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 5:32 pm

I have finally got my kids to an age they are interested in hiking and can walk decent distances. We are planning a few 1-3 overnight hikes.
We would love some advice on preferences for 3-4 season lightweight hiking sleeping bags for myself and husband and kids. Adults are looking to upgrade to something that will see us through the next 10 years or more! Was looking at the Mont bags (love the Ossa women's and Brindabella) all on sale at the moment but still pricey or the Mac Pac latitude 500? Wanting bags that have a level of waterproof or water repellent qualities.

In addition would love to hear what people purchase for kids. Ours are 6, 9 and 10. Their current cheapie camping sleeping bags will not be sufficient for hiking (too heavy and potentially not warm enough for potential
Tassie and NZ hikes). Thoughts on what people have done here would also be appreciated. Do you also purchase adult bags for the older two? So many questions.

Thank you in advance. We are new to this forum so forgive me if I have asked too much in one post.

Then the next decision will be backpacks for kids. Looking at the Deuter 35-10 Act lite 35+10SL women's trekking pack for the older two and a hydration pack for the youngest.
Fishy3095
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Sleeping bags - Mont vs Mac Pac and ideas for kids sleep

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:08 pm

For your two oldest ones, you will also be likely looking at school camps soon, so having a decent bag for that will help them have a better time. I'd recommend a mid range synthetic, mostly due to the ease of cleaning. I'd say that a decent bag should see them through highschool at least, so it would be worth spending the coin. On one of the last trips I was on, one of the girls had a brand new sleeping bag, I think outdoor expedition (one of the big box house brands anyway) and the zip was installed wrong! The biggest failing I see is not the bags themselves, but the stuff sacks, either they are too small, so the kids can't get the bag in, or they are made of tissue paper and blow out. (blackwolf bags are notorious for blowing the buckles) I wouldn't be going too high end. I just looked online at the One Planet down-under, looks decent, and you might be able to get a discount depending on retailer and school. But something along those lines, between their current size and likely genetics, you should be able to guess if they need a reg or a short, and even if one outgrows the bag, there should be enough life in it that your 6 year old gets a reasonable handme-down before getting their own. But I'd go with an adult bag for them at this stage, they will start to really sprout shortly, and a bit of kit they grow into is better than something that they know they are growing out of.

For background, I'm in outdoor education so I see a few sleeping bags in a year.

as for packs, look for lots of range of adjustment, there will come a time where you are doing a pack fit every time they put them on. In my experience, most hydration packs won't fit the stuff even a small kid needs for a day walk, and even the small weight can ride oddly, making them not feel good. I'd say at least 10L, so they have room for a snack, jumper, water bottle (don't bother with a bladder, you can't monitor their intake as well) and rain coat, a decently made one should cover them through their adventures up to age 10, and by then those items might be big enough to fill it. A kid can always get use out of a solid day-bag. (pet peeve is kids showing up with a "daypack" that is a string handled gym sack, useless for carrying anything more than the snack wrappers after morning tea)

Some of the parents here might be able to point you at some other specific products, I just go with the generalities as I tend to only have kids for a few days at a time, and someone else is buying their kit.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby corvus » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:16 pm

G'day Fishy,
Lucky I only needed to do it for one however it is a costly exercise if you want the best (better) for your kids I recommend Down Bags, My choice was Warmth Unlimited Tundra Pure and Light -5,Ethical Down, lightweight, small packing and Water resistant shell,will have good resale if the Kids decide they don't want to do anymore :) lets hope they keep it up my 35 year old is now my best walking mate.
Regards,
corvus.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Fishy3095 » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:19 pm

Thank you so much! This really helps, especially with your experience. The boys will do a lot of outdoor experience school camps so I was thinking of spending more for something they will use into high school. Good point for the little guy. Will look at the smaller pack options. Love this forum!
Fishy3095
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Fishy3095 » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks Corvus,
Just looked up the Tundra bags. I have never heard of this brand but they do sound impressive. Do you know of any Australian company that sells these so we can look at them? They do sell online and supply overseas however would be great to see them. I love that they are water resistant. Is this what you are also using and how long have you had it for?
Fishy3095
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:43 pm

hey no problem. As I said, I'm sure some parents will chime in with their experiences as well, I just figured your kids will be meeting my side of the bushwalking world soon enough, and there are not very many active outdoor educators on here (might have something to do with an industry that doesn't really attract the same mindset that also spends time online, I'm an oddball that way) I'm by no means the fount of all knowledge, I know there are scout leaders and the like here as well, but I do see plenty of kids prepped for school camps.

Down is good if you are there to look after stuff. but on a school camp, I'd like to say that all out-door eddies are fully professional, but not all centers and programs are created equal. I've met kids who spent days with water running into shelters, and nights in sodden bags. Kit gets transported in the backs of troopies, utes, and boats. Tent-mates getting home-sick to chucking chunks, all that sort of thing. But as Corvus has pointed out, down is lighter, more compressible, and to be honest if we want to look at total environmental footprint, wouldn't be surprised if its actually more environmentally sound. Its easier to get them into a compressible dry-bag. At the end of the day, it does come down to the kids ability to handle things on their own (and if they walk with you, they may have those advantages of experience) Or maybe its a case of good bags for walking with you for now, and a mid-range synthetic they share for school camp use if the schedule lines up, so that they have a "sacrificial" bag if it comes to that, at least until they are a bit older, and can look after their own possessions. "That one isn't mine, but I have one just like it at home"
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Fishy3095 » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:53 pm

Ha ha love the idea of a sacricial bag that all three could share. Goodness things to look forward to, the adventures of school camp! It was the joys of school camps that gave me the hiking addiction. Gold! I haven't read any reviews yet on One planet bags, down or synthetic. Does anyone have one of these or thoughts on their bags?
Fishy3095
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 9:11 pm

Fishy3095 wrote:Thanks Corvus,
Just looked up the Tundra bags. I have never heard of this brand but they do sound impressive. Do you know of any Australian company that sells these so we can look at them? They do sell online and supply overseas however would be great to see them. I love that they are water resistant. Is this what you are also using and how long have you had it for?

2009 for one and 2011 for the other . We got ours from http://www.upandunder.co.uk cost me 201 .73 GBP which was 24 GBP post for the last one.
Last edited by corvus on Wed 11 Jan, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Region: Tasmania

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 9:34 pm

The only one planet bag i've seen is one we have at work, its an industrial model, and it certainly is that, tough as nails, few frills, but seems to take whatever we throw at it.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Sat 04 Feb, 2017 4:00 pm

I got my boys -1 degree down bags from the USA a few years ago. They are women's length and they are elastic /stretchy which they love. still going strong at ages 10 and 13.
I got them Osprey packs for Christmas- I didn't want anything huge so got the Tempest 30L for the young fella and the Talon 40L for the eldest. They fit well and are comfy.
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Gear Reviews