Viking & Blue Hills explore

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Viking & Blue Hills explore

Postby leaf » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 10:34 am

I’d like to visit the Viking wilderness, accessing the area from the east for a change, without going in via Crosscut Saw/Howitt Plains. I’ve done the Viking Circuit before, but didn’t explore the Viking summits due to wet weather.
The idea is to do a 3-day circuit from the end of East Riley Rd via the Barry Mountains, the Viking (with a possible side-trip to the Razor), then the Blue Hills and returning north along Sambar Spur Track and avoiding the slog along Wannangatta Track.

Planning to do the trip in March, though I’m concerned about water availability and getting my 2WD to the start!

Is anyone able to advise on the following:
2WD access and road condition. The access route I’ve been given is from Myrtleford and Lake Buffalo, via Abbeyards Rd, East Buffalo Rd, East Riley Track. Seems like a very long way…
Water. Can anyone advise regarding reliable water sources? I believe there are some tanks along the AAWT, and I know that the source in Viking Saddle has been known to dry out. I would expect Riley Creek to have water given the size of its catchment. Is there a known route to descend from Blue Hills to Wonnangatta River to get water if necessary?
The Blue Hills section is marked as an undefined track on my map. Is there a pad, or should I be ready for overgrowth and bush bashing?
Recommendations for scenic camping spots would be a bonus.
leaf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Viking & Blue Hills explore

Postby scroggin » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 12:33 pm

Sounds like an adventure! Is this the hike you plan on doing?

https://www.trailhiking.com.au/the-viki ... lue-hills/

The Viking Circuit use to include the blue hills down to the Wonnagatta Valley, are you planning to go this way or straight to the Wonnangatta track as per the link?
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby leaf » Fri 17 Feb, 2017 7:53 am

Do you mean down to Wonnangatta Station? Yes, keen to check it out if time allows.
My map shows the Blue Hills as far as Wombat Gap, the question is whether going east of Wonnangatta Track is a total bush bash, and where to descend the hills and cross the river.

Haven't managed to find any info re 2WD access and water so far.
leaf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby peregrinator » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 9:03 pm

I’m following up on the questions asked by leaf in the initial post. Some maps show the East Buffalo Road up to the AAWT as being 4WD, others (e.g. Chapman’s on p.92) suggest 2WD. Anyone have any recent knowledge?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 23 Nov, 2018 4:57 pm

You would be wise to take a 4WD with All terrain tyres and a chain saw and necessary attendant chain sawing kit. Be prepared to carry extra water , up to 4 L. of water extra per day. The whole of the VIC ALPS are rather dry by March.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria