In search of Ethel May Falls, Apollo Bay

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

In search of Ethel May Falls, Apollo Bay

Postby MickyB » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:48 am

A friend and I have been trying to find the location of Ethel May Falls in/near Apollo Bay. These photos are from postcards from the early 1900s but they are the only info we have been able to find on them. Have the falls been forgotton about over time or, for whatever reason, does it no longer exist? Can anyone shed some light on these falls? Any info would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you'd prefer. TIA.
Attachments
Ethel May 1.jpg
Ethel May 2.jpg
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: In search of Ethel May Falls, Apollo Bay

Postby Xplora » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 5:55 am

While not the falls you seek, if you find these guys you may get more information. http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... 66667.html
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks for that info Xplora. My friend's friend was a prominent member of the Otway Ranges Walking Track Association but they has no info about Ethel May Falls.

A number of these postcards were mislabelled and I thought Ethel May Falls could have been another however they were also mentioned in a publication called Picturesque Victoria.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby scroggin » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm intrigued, keep us updated on how you and your friend go.

Any luck with the Mousetrap Falls Complex?
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:51 pm

scroggin wrote:I'm intrigued, keep us updated on how you and your friend go.

Any luck with the Mousetrap Falls Complex?

Hopefully we have some luck and find them. I'll post any updates here.

We made it to Mousetrap in November 2014 viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17534
Nice falls but there are a lot better falls in the Otways than the ones in this complex.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby AlanShortyD » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 8:12 pm

"Not quite two miles from the township [Apollo Bay]" according to a 1923 newspaper article. Possibly Marriners ? Though thats further than 2 miles.
AlanShortyD
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby MickyB » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:22 am

AlanShortyD wrote:"Not quite two miles from the township [Apollo Bay]" according to a 1923 newspaper article. Possibly Marriners ? Though thats further than 2 miles.

Thanks AlanShortyD. Is that article online? If so would you have a link? My friend found similar info stating it is 1.75 miles from Apollo Bay.
The falls in the photo are not Marriners.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Michael Beattie » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 8:12 pm

Ethel May falls (named for Ethel May Pengilley, the first white women to see the falls) are located on Anderson Creek which is to the north of the Apollo Bay township and runs along Tuxion Rd. The creek bed is overgrown with blackberries making hiking along the creek impossible. Not sure how far along the creek the falls are but they are above the weir.
Michael Beattie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MickyB » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 8:01 am

Michael Beattie wrote:Ethel May falls (named for Ethel May Pengilley, the first white women to see the falls) are located on Anderson Creek which is to the north of the Apollo Bay township and runs along Tuxion Rd. The creek bed is overgrown with blackberries making hiking along the creek impossible. Not sure how far along the creek the falls are but they are above the weir.

Thanks Michael. My friend has since located and visited these falls.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Victoria