Up New River to Federation

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Up New River to Federation

Postby Dave Bremers » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi all,

Some mates and I are doing this in just under a month's time and this is us scrounging every last piece of information that we can get! Please let us pick your brains for anything you may know about New River, those of you who have rafted it or walked anywhere near it (eg Salisbury River, Vanishing Falls, Precipitous Bluff, Lake Geeves, Federation Peak etc.).

We're looking for extra info on:
Scrub conditions and what to wear
Variability of water levels
Hints for navigation
Ideas for crossing pools in the river (floating packs, rubber duckies...?)
How to get from lake geeves up federation
Availability of water on Bechervaise Pl

Any info at all would be appreciated. Even the local psychiatrists number for when we get back to Hobart :D

Cheers
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Up New River to Federation

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 4:50 pm

You may want to get hold of the latest Tassie Tramp - great article on early routes up Federation Peak (from Lake Geeves)

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dave Bremers » Sat 31 Oct, 2009 8:01 pm

Cool will do. Any idea where I could get one?

Cheers,

Dave
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dave Bremers » Sat 31 Oct, 2009 8:05 pm

No worries, I found it. Any other tips? Your name rings a bell as being very familiar with Tassie walking.
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tomberli » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 3:00 pm

I went up Precipitous Bluff from the Moonlight ridge track and then down to New river last summer. The thought of linking this with Federation had crossed my mind - would be an absolutely amazing trip! The bush is incredibly thick though - one of the most worthwhile items we had was a thick pair of gardening gloves to get through the vegetation. Our clothes were completely wrecked by the end of it but I'd suggest wearing something sturdy enough - even if its warm.
The water levels in New River can vary substantially as far as I know. You might wanna be a bit weary of that.
I assume you guys are planning to come in from Cockle Creek and then up the lagoon? Would make an insane trip!
Picasa-Albums from Tassie, Antarctica, the Arctic and more
tomberli
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 3:42 pm

Gosh, what an adventure that's going to be...
When I read the question the first thing I thought of was David Noble, but I see he has already replied. On ya Dave!
I recall some notes I read online from some years ago, I think it was from a Sydney Uni walking expedition, and I think it included David Noble, though I could be wrong on both counts. I don't even know if it was the same route, but it was the same area of the state. And I recall it was a failed adventure, less than 2 km in a day as I recall.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Dave Bremers » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 4:02 pm

By all accounts, its going to be 'pretty hectic' as a sk8er might say :) We've got good gloves, and i've made some "arm-gaiters" out of shadecloth to help protect a bit. Tomberli you're right - we're planning on coming in from the Cockle Ck on the SCT, up the eastern edge of the lagoon, follow through to Geeves, up to Berchevaise and Fedder, then out to Farmhouse Ck. 24 days we've left for it. Water levels will fluctuate, but according to the ranger who has done the trip (downstream) on lilos, there's always escape opportunities.
Tasadam I think I may have read the same article as you - it wasn't an expedition to Vanishing Falls on the Salisbury was it? Very similar region, I'll dig it up again and see what it says. and yeah - we've left 8 days for a section of 12km in the gorge country. I imagine its quite tedious going! there will be lots of track kissing when we finally get to the platforms on Berchevaise.
This is the only photo i've found of the gorge country (from wild 104, thanks tas-man). We're taking some ropes as well.
Attachments
WILD-New%20River%20P44.jpg
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jmac » Wed 11 Nov, 2009 12:03 pm

The proposal presents two significant challenges.

1 Negotiating the section from Gibraltar Ridge up through the major gorges. The rest of the route will be relatively achievable if you have sufficient skill, resilience and fitness; not least of which is resilience, to avoid over-use injuries carrying horrid loads through very difficult terrain. I would not contemplate attempting this route with any but my toughest partners.

2 The logistical requirements to equip and feed the first challenge. Allowing 24 days seems sensibly cautious at first, however you will end up allocating days to cater for the slower pace needed to carry such a quantity of food. The only answer to this dilemma is building greater experience, toughness, optimal fitness and more planning.

Although generally encouraging of adventurous routes, my feelings are that you would be well advised to spend even more time studying the escape routes, than the proposed route itself.

Good luck.

j.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dave Bremers » Wed 11 Nov, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks for the thoughts jmac.

My concern is, too, the gorge country heading up from just north of the Salisbury Junction. While we are as prepared as we can be from speaking to others who have come the same way, I believe most of the challenges will have to be viewed by us in person before overcoming them or coming back at a later date for another try. This seems to be the nature of adventures that haven't been done before!

Agreed, 24 days seems overtly cautious and you are right in that the quantity of food needed to supply us for that time actual lessens the gap between the expected time and the allowed 24 days. This is something we have taken into consideration, based on the idea that time taken is also impacted on by other factors than packweight - such as river levels, poor weather, etc., and we'd rather have the food just in case. Let Ray Jardine scorn me. :wink:

We have also considered a number of escape routes, each at different points on the trip. The SCT is an escape route for us up until we have passed the Salisbury River, then Bobs Knobs/Lake Sydney/Farmhouse Ck up until we get through the New River Gorge at Gibraltar Ridge. Between Gibraltar Ridge and the creek that comes down from Satellite Lake is a section we have to commit to, for all escape routes out of that particular stretch seem tortuous. After that, the Crest Range provides the last escape route before we reach our goal of Federation. Turning back is of course an option depending on the severity of New River Gorge. Our logic is that if we can get up through it, we can get down, especially as at that stage (between it and the Crest Range) we will still have enough food to wait out changes in water level. Severe events such as a broken leg will be covered by our extreme last resort option, the SPOT (satellite transmitter - essentially an EPIRB) that we are taking. Though ideally we'll try for self-rescue first in all but the most serious of incidences.

There is of course an element of risk still involved that is inherent in most outdoor activites. I'll let you know how we went when we get back.

Cheers
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dave Bremers » Wed 11 Nov, 2009 1:43 pm

Ah jmac! It makes sense now when I saw from the other post you injured yourself on the New - its Dave, I spoke to you on the phone about 10 days ago.
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 7:10 am

Hey Breminator,

Stu Bowling and I were discussing this trip the other day. We both were curious as to how much off track SW Tas walking you'd done? Particularly scrub bashing. I'm not knocking you or anything, but if this is your first scrub mission then it could be a world of hurt. :D

If you've already left, then good luck.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Dave Bremers » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 2:13 pm

ollster wrote: I'm not knocking you or anything, but if this is your first scrub mission then it could be a world of hurt. :D

If you've already left, then good luck.

We expect this to be a world of hurt! Don't worry, no offence taken :D

We leave on thursday so any suggestions anyone let me know soon!
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 2:14 pm

I think all Ollster means is that your choosing an area which by reputation is one of the hardest off track places to walk!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 2:43 pm

breminator98 wrote:We leave on thursday so any suggestions anyone let me know soon!

Don't forget to take pictures in the scrub. I always forget and then try and explain the horror to people who haven't been there. I just don't think they get it.

Godspeed! Although "snailspace" will be more likely. :D
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 3:11 pm

Yeah, I second Oll; good luck down there mate.
Give the bauera, cutting grass, banksia, macquarie vine & tea tree my best regards :D
(apologies to any other nasty plant species I forgot to mention, please don't hold it against me in my future endeavours).

Looking forward to hearing the tales / seeing the photos of some spectacularly wild & rugged country.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 24 Nov, 2009 7:06 am

Yeh good luck Dave, And please do take lots of photos! Forecast for Thurs is good, but not so good for the following few days! At least you'll be on the friendly end of your trip at this point!!

I'd be really interested in doing the old way to Fedders up Old River rather than New River, one day maybe....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 8:58 am

No sign of them yet... Wonder how he's going? :D
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 9:14 am

im sure they are doing "gut"
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 9:45 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:im sure they are doing "gut"

LOL. Subtle!
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 9:53 am

Hehehe yeh im a sledgehammer
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 12:15 pm

Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stepbystep » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 12:52 pm

aljscott wrote:Potentially not so well...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/07/2763900.htm

Trying to find out what's going on, no-one here(The ABC) knows what's going on, does anybody know real names of the party, can PM me.

sbs
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SurlyDave » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 2:38 pm

At approximately 10:30am on 7/12/09 Tasmania Police were notified of a SPOT beacon activation in the south west near Federation Peak by Australian Search and Rescue. The beacon was activated by three ACT men aged in their 20’s who had embarked on a walk from New River Lagoon and had intended on making their way to Federation Peak over a 10 day period.
The Police Rescue Helicopter was subsequently tasked to attend the area and located the three men in dense vegetation on a ridge line near New River.
The three men were uninjured but unable to progress through the terrain due to exhaustion and difficulties navigating.
The helicopter was unable to winch all three males and the paramedic in one flight due to weight limitations. Subsequently two flights were made to the location by the helicopter to winch the three males to safety and then refuel at Moss Glen.
SurlyDave
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ollster » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:02 pm

Well, at least they didn't get hurt. Hopefully now they'll listen when we tell them they've bitten off more than they can chew.

I'll be interested to hear the debrief.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:03 pm

jmac wrote: Although generally encouraging of adventurous routes, my feelings are that you would be well advised to spend even more time studying the escape routes, than the proposed route itself.

Hmmmm...sorry if this sounds harsh, but we are all fitting the bill for this mis-adventure (2 x chopper rides).
Warnings were laid out for this team & it is now obviously evident they were in way, way out of their depth.
With no previous off track South West experience it's a little hard to understand why they'd tackle such a difficult route.
The old cliche of 'learn to walk before you run',
There are plenty of other very hard, but achievable adventures that could have been tackled as a lead up to something like this.
Youthful exuberance or just plain stupidity?
I guess we'll wait & hear their side of the story.

Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:15 pm

I'll leave criticism for those with more knowledge than me.
Some people get lost in all sorts of country(s).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 764098.htm
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi All

Before launching into an episode of "father told you so" have we confirm that it is indeed them? I would like to see the debrief as well and especially the performance of the SPOT. All I can say at this stage is thank goodness for modern technology and the dedication of search and rescue for a job well done. As for the cost, they will have many years of paying taxes thanks to a safe rescue. :D

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:26 pm

Brett wrote:Before launching into an episode of "father told you so" have we confirm that it is indeed them?

If SurlyDave's information is correct then the chances of it being another group is VERY unlikely. "three ACT men aged in their 20’s who had embarked on a walk from New River Lagoon and had intended on making their way to Federation Peak"

Should I start hoisting the gallows, chaps?

More seriously, I think in this case some gentle criticism is warranted. We did try and warn them, and perhaps the wording was not harsh enough.

Hopefully this thread can be viewed as a warning for others?
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:29 pm

ollster wrote:
Brett wrote:Before launching into an episode of "father told you so" have we confirm that it is indeed them?

If SurlyDave's information is correct then the chances of it being another group is VERY unlikely. "three ACT men aged in their 20’s who had embarked on a walk from New River Lagoon and had intended on making their way to Federation Peak"

Should I start hoisting the gallows, chaps?

Just make sure you have glass insurance cover in case a future trip takes on a certain fruit shape :wink:

Late edit, assuming that the facts are correct and assumptions are right then I hope that the self examination of the participants might be enlightening enough in its own right and do hope that such an introspective review is posted. But please lets wait for confirmation of both the people involved and the circumstances. PS if any has a mother living me thinks they (the walkers) might be wishing now they had done a preliminary tracked trip to see what they were up against. As one young over enthusiastic employee from work once found out surviving an accident was the easy part compared to surviving his mother's take on the circumstances leading up to it :lol:

Cheer Brett
Last edited by Ent on Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 3:35 pm

Brett wrote:Just make sure you have glass insurance cover in case a future trip takes on a certain fruit shape :wink:

LOL. I've seen enough scrub to know I'd never even attempt that route! :mrgreen:
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Tasmania