[TAS] [Enquiry] Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

[TAS] [Enquiry] Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Postby SergeantMcFly » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 2:49 pm

Does anyone around Hobart happen to have a Mariposa I'd be willing to check out prior to pulling the trigger and having one sent down? Would like to suss out the feel and carry. Alternatively, if anyone has one they're looking to offload, I'd be keen to check those out and hear some offers!
SergeantMcFly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: [TAS] [Enquiry] Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Postby Suz » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 6:00 pm

I have one but I'm currently at Coles Bay and then (probably) heading north ...making my way slowly towards the ferry.

I have the womens medium 2016 version.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby SergeantMcFly » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 11:58 am

Unfortunately stuck around Hobart for the next few days, thanks though!
SergeantMcFly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Suz » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 6:01 pm

Np. Just would say it kinda works like you expect it to work. It is light and can carry up to a moderate weight. At the end of a hike after I've eaten all my food it does feel somewhat delightfully daypackish on the back (unlike my 70ltr Kathmandu interloper). It feels smallish for a 60ltr capacity. It is true as people say about the mesh being weak. You will have to take proper care/precautions )not to use it on the wrong sort of track - avoid scrubby areas and rock dragging as much as poss) and you will probably still have to do repairs to the mesh over time (mine needs a bit of sewing).

One nice thing that I didn't think about when buying it was that - because you pack your tent in the large side pocket, you can easily pack down your gear in the morning and stow it while still in your tent. Also makes set up of tent quicker (not pulling it out the bottom of your pack)...good for rainy conditions.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 9:51 pm

This post piqued my interest in DIY rucksack design for future projects, so I had a look at the design, and couldn't work out what the benefit of putting a tent down one side was.

All my tents have their own waterproof bags, and I normally fold/roll them to fit across the top of the pack, over the waterproof liner garbage bag anyway, so they are last in, first out, so, I'm not really understanding why you would want a tent in a side pocket in the first place. I am happy to chuck the poles down the side though.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 May, 2017 9:44 am

andrewa wrote: All my tents have their own waterproof bags, and I normally fold/roll them to fit across the top of the pack, over the waterproof liner garbage bag anyway, so they are last in, first out, so, I'm not really understanding why you would want a tent in a side pocket in the first place.

Some proprietary tents that have CF struts are too long when packed to fit across the pack. It's the one thing that bugs me about my Scarp.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Suz » Fri 05 May, 2017 4:10 pm

Andrewa, I'm just glad I don't have to pack my tent IN my pack or risk having it fall off due to being strapped on. Side pocket helps with that. Also that pocket is balanced out by the opposite side pocket (less deep) where I put my water...and therefore the weight balances out nicely. Maybe there is a better design out there but it suits me fine.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired