Battery Pack / Packing Lists / Larapinta E to E

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Battery Pack / Packing Lists / Larapinta E to E

Postby SueO1988 » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi, my husband and I and two of our kids are planning on doing the Larapinta in June. I want to keep our pack weights as light as possible. I was planning on taking my phone to use as a camera, what do other hikers do regarding carrying battery packs? I have organised 3 food drops so was thinking of maybe putting spare ones in them. I also would like to track the hike with my Tom Tom adventurer has anyone else done this before? Final question any recommendations for water filters. We previously had the steri pen but it is now not working :( didn't last very long. Also any packing list suggestions "what wasn't necessary" and "what we should of taken". Thanks everyone for any advice. Cheers Sue
SueO1988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Battery Pack / Packing Lists / Larapinta E to E

Postby Eremophila » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi Sue,
I'm just finalising my own lists for August. I previously lived in the Centre and have done most of the Larapinta, just not all at once.
I'll be using Micropur tablets for water purification, if we need to use ground water which looks a bit dodgy we will boil and/or use a filter cloth. Quality and availability of ground water will depend on rainfall between now and then. You should NOT rely on ground water (waterholes, rock pools etc.)
Your phone may go flat quickly if you leave it switched on, as there will be no service. I saw from walkingwithwild's blog, that there are a few high points on the range where 3G is available, I would assume only with Telstra. Otherwise once you are past Simpson's Gap or thereabouts I wouldn't expect any coverage.
I will be putting spare batteries in my food drops. As for the camera... gee I wish I'd bought more of those cheap camera batteries in Nepal!! I need to suss out what charging facilities are available, but I can see it being a bunfight over power outlets, if and where they are available, and I'd prefer to avoid that. I have a small power pack that I'll put in - otherwise I will simply be conserving batteries between camera & phone. Having a local co-walker and other friends, means vehicle support for us in a few places, which is mighty handy.
What is necessary... a flynet can be a lifesaver, again depending on the season. My mate in Alice tells me today that it has turned cold - but if there aren't any savage frosts before your planned dates, the flies can be bad in a couple of spots. Section 3 springs to mind.
Depending on your itinerary you'll also need some capacity to carry enough water for 2 days in a couple of places.
And a love of red dirt doesn't go astray :D
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 7:15 pm

Eremophila wrote:Your phone may go flat quickly if you leave it switched on, as there will be no service.

When there is no nearby phone tower, your phone increases its transmitter power to try to contact a more distant mobile phone tower. So when you're away from phone signal, just switch to flight mode and you will be amazed how slowly your phone battery discharges.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Eremophila » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 7:29 pm

ribuck wrote:When there is no nearby phone tower, your phone increases its transmitter power to try to contact a more distant mobile phone tower. So when you're away from phone signal, just switch to flight mode and you will be amazed how slowly your phone battery discharges.

This will be the majority of the walk. Once you're out of town a certain distance, there is nothing.
Eremophila

Postby SueO1988 » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Had heard to take a fly net. Only need the phone purely for camera purposes. Will be carrying a PLB for emergencies. Getting a bit excited I must say.
SueO1988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bill P » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi Sue ,
I walked Larapinta E2E last May, outbound from Alice Springs. I got all my water from the water tanks and didnt use any sterilisation etc.

My mobile phone was used as a camera in 'flight mode' and battery lasted the entire walk. I made occasional voice calls from elevated locations which had line of sight access to Heavitree, including Mt Sonder.

I found I didnt need gaiters and i left them in a food drop which i collected on the way back

Flies were OK, mosquitos were bad. Try and camp up high if you can, i didnt enjoy the major camp sites with lots of caravans etc as much.

The track is very well marked and the new shelters are great.

Regards
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 May, 2017 9:38 am

The tank water doesn't need to be treated and will be your main source. The only groundwater I treated was at Hugh Junction, where all the pools looked a bit scummy. Things were pretty dry that year, driest I've ever seen the Centre.

Only things I took and didn't need was a lot of the food - the walk went a lot quicker than I had expected, even with all the sidetrips I took.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Mon 01 May, 2017 11:06 pm

I've used an iPhone with single battery pack for charging (?10000mah....will check) for a 10 day trip in NZ for photos and video. Worked beautifully. Turn every other function off first thought. Also tried GAIA GPS function on the phone. Even though iPhone meant to have GPS signal when everything else turned off, it was pretty dodgy. I'd take my phone as a camera, and use a GPS, and over a 10 day trip I'd carry enough to charge the phone once, if only taking photos/videos.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Andrew » Tue 02 May, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi guys,

How much water do you reckon we need to carry in June (max about 20 degrees) for the overnight dry camp stops?

I think camps at Brinkley Bluff and Waterfall Gorge are the only two night we need to carry water.

I was thinking of my 3*750ml water bottles for today and then 3*750ml for tomorrow plus 1 litre for camp and 1 litre for spare for each person.
That totals 6.5 litres do you reckon that is about right?

Cheers, Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:43 pm

Is that each, or for both of you?

I wouldn't be happy carrying less than 3L each per day.
Eremophila

Postby Bill P » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi Andrew, the most I carried was 5.25 litres for dry camps. 4 l bladder and 1.25 bottle.

I made sure i was properly rehydrated before i left the tanks in all cases.

I chose to knock off at lunchtime on two days due to heat getting over 30 degrees (mid May) .
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:53 pm

After encountering what I did on the Larapinta I'd err on the side of caution and be well prepared with more water than you think you may need. Hydrate well at the tanks and take plenty of water.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Andrew » Tue 02 May, 2017 11:37 pm

thx for the feedback. So if fully hydrated at start of day and with sunrise start 6.5 litres per person in June should be OK at least to try for the first one to get some experience?

Is that enough in June whitefang from your experience?

Cheers Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 03 May, 2017 10:27 am

4l bladder plus a small bottle was enough for me.
And take an electrolyte powder/gel as well. It makes a tremendous difference. I had a 600ml bottle in which I mixed up Staminade at every tank or good groundwater source.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Bill P » Wed 03 May, 2017 10:01 pm

For SueO: The one thing i should have taken more of was foot repair/blister treatment tape. This track is very hard on feet and footware.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SueO1988 » Sat 06 May, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks everyone - love all the advice greatly appreciated. Cheers
SueO1988
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby pulseevents » Tue 09 May, 2017 9:22 pm

If i could offer a tip. If you can fit it in your trip plan, spend a night in hugh gorge at the junction not at the water tank. The most amazing sunset on the rock walls.
One more. GOOD BOOTS NOT TOO OLD.
Regards
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Eremophila » Tue 09 May, 2017 9:52 pm

Dang. My Keens are right on the verge of being "too old". I think I'll play it safe and get some new ones.
Eremophila

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory