Gaiters for Larapinta trail?

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Gaiters for Larapinta trail?

Postby Carl P » Wed 03 May, 2017 9:54 am

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to trek part of the larapinta trail, sections 4 to 6 in reverse order starting from Ellery Creek and heading back to Standley Chasm over 5 days, 4 nights. I'm trying to pack as light as possible, just wondering if i should take my gaiters or not. I've only got knee high gaiters, which I think may be overkill. I've heard a fair bit about spinifex on the track, however I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is spinifex along this particular section of the track. We are planning to stay on track with no side trips. Also wondering about rocks and dirt getting in to the boots, if this is anything to be concerned about. Any information would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Carl P
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Gaiters for Larapinta trail?

Postby Bill P » Wed 03 May, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Carl,

I didnt need gaiters there though there are people who are convinced that swarms of writhing snakes will come out of everywhere like an indiana jones movie as soon as they see them come off.

Larapinta track spinifex spines seem to be kind of swept parallel to the track. I didnt get any holes in my skin through not using gaiters.

Regards
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 04 May, 2017 10:25 am

I did the whole track plus a fair few off-track sidetrips a few years ago. Shorts, no gaiters. Only time I regretted it was one sidetrip which had a lot of spinifex. The track itself was fine.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Carl P » Thu 04 May, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks heaps for the info guys, much appreciated. I think you have made my decision for me. Cheers!
Carl P
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby pulseevents » Tue 09 May, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi carl.
My wife and i did the lp end to end from west to east and really only felt like needed them on a couple of short sections where we were in waist high dry grass. Other than that they were just dead weight. Rocks in your shoes are not really the the main concern for them, rocks destroying your shoes are bigger problem.
You can see the toll the rocks took on my boots.
Attachments
P1020518.JPG
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory