Barrington/ The Corker

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Barrington/ The Corker

Postby tyggriffic » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 4:24 pm

Hey everyone,

Planning our first overnight hike together this coming week and considering Barrington Tops. It will likely be a Sunday/Monday trip so hopefully can avoid the crowds and bogans. Was thinking of doing the Corker and camping overnight somewhere up the top and coming down the next day. I have a few questions.
1 - We're considering starting at Blue Gum Loop Trackhead and taking Rocky Crossing track up to the Corker. Is it worth adding this section, or just starting at Lagoon Pinch Forest Rd and using the extra time to explore the top? We are fairly quick walkers.
2 - What's the best camping area up there these days and are there any amazing spots slightly off the track? Proximity to water is important, and seclusion/privacy ideal.
I've had a look on the forum and found one very helpful post, but it was from quite a few years ago and hoped someone had some more recent information.
tyggriffic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Barrington/ The Corker

Postby Xplora » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 5:05 am

Do the extra bit is really nice but there are many leaches. Great forest and well worth it even if a bit of a tourist track these days. It is not difficult or steep until the last bit before Lagoon pinch so can be done quickly. Spray your socks and the tops of your boots with some insect repellent and this will help. Just not stuff with DEET in it. The Corker is also a good walk and not too many bogans will do it because 1. they have to walk and 2. it is up hill all the way but the guest house does bus people up to do it. I think a thong blow out will turn the bogans back pretty quick anyway. One km before the junction of the Gloucester tops track on the right is a small track leading into Selby Alley hut where you will find a nice secluded spot to camp by a waterfall. It may be a bit hard to find going up as you need to know when you are 1km from the junction. It is on the maps so not impossible. Do not leave anything inside the hut at night as it will be gone in the morning. I found my saucepan under the bunks. Most will camp at Wombat creek which has water but Carey's peak does not. The peak is worth a look if not fogged in and you can dump your packs to do the climb up there. The Gloucester tops walking track is also nice and it does not have the steep climbs all the way. From memory the NPWS sign at the start of this track over estimated the distance considerably but that was quite a few years ago. Great spot to walk and nice first overnighter.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby kjbeath » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 10:27 pm

Starting at the site of the guest house (it was destroyed in 2006) is a good idea, as it is nice walking through the rainforest. Make sure to visit Rocky Crossing, it is only slightly past the turnoff to go up the hill. I have found Wombat Creek nicer than Selby Alley Hut to camp at, the hut is within the beech forest so is fairly dark.

As well as Careys Peak another spot to visit is Junction Pools.

It is at 1500m altitude so can be quite cold in October, occasionally light snow.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bushtucker » Sun 22 Jan, 2017 1:21 pm

The corker is hard! Awesome place to visit, best in winter when you might get some snow as we did in 2014 (see here: https://getout-adventures.com/2014/08/2 ... -bushwalk/). There was no one there when we camped at the peak. Plenty of water in the rivers when we were there.

Best,

Daniel
bushtucker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Spiky » Thu 25 May, 2017 12:50 pm

We did this track a month or so back. With a full pack on your back (we camped at the top), it's a decent climb.

Here's an image from my Strava feed: in the 10km that it took to climb up to the lookout, we recorded over 900m of elevation. You'll know you've done it.

Spiky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ant71 » Fri 26 May, 2017 9:29 am

Has any one done this track in winer? I was wondering how much snow if any there is around there. and if the roads in are ok. TIA
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Xplora » Sat 27 May, 2017 6:59 am

Ant71 wrote:Has any one done this track in winer? I was wondering how much snow if any there is around there. and if the roads in are ok. TIA

Road access is good in winter. If you are particularly after snow then you have to keep an eye on the forecasts and be prepared to leave. Snow does not stick around there too long but it will often come with strong winds which could pose a problem. When I was there in the snow I did not need snow shoes but a freakishly big dump could make them necessary.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby kjbeath » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:23 pm

Yes, roads are fine, Lagoon Pinch where the walk starts is only about 600m elevation. The flat route from Polblue is very different and may be quite rapidly snowed in. If worried about snow camp at Selby Alley Hut. Slightly lower and in forest. Need to keep a close lookout for the side track, there is also something, maybe a tin lid, nailed to a tree.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT