Made to order ultralight down quilts (thread #2)

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Re: Made to order ultralight down quilts (thread #2)

Postby tashawary » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 6:52 pm

Hey. I'm keen on a quilt as well. Please message me. Thanks
tashawary
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby alcal3 » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi Mike. I'm also keen to purchase a quilt. Could you please PM me? Cheers Alainnah
alcal3
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby undercling-mike » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi all, I've got some exciting news that short and long size quilts are now available in addition to the regular. The new sizes have the same basic design, features and options as the regular size and the specs are as follows:

Specs: Long
  • Length: 200cm (78.5") for sewn footbox and zip/drawcord footbox when cinched closed, 214cm (84") with zip/drawcord footbox when open. Suits users up to 198cm (6'6"), reaches at least the nose of someone that tall so will work for people slightly taller but with more minimalist fit.
  • Shoulder Width: 137cm (54")
  • Foot Width: 101cm (39.5")
  • Weights, fill weights and prices:
    Code: Select all
    +-------------+----------------+------------------------+-------------------------+
    | +4C         | 800 goose down | 850 HyperDRY duck down | 950 HyperDRY goose down |
    +-------------+----------------+------------------------+-------------------------+
    | weight      | 495g           | 485g                   | 460g                    |
    | fill weight | 290g           | 280g                   | 255g                    |
    | price       | $340.00        | $380.00                | $480.00                 |
    |             |                |                        |                         |
    | -2C         | 800 goose down | 850 HyperDRY duck down | 950 HyperDRY goose down |
    | weight      | 590g           | 580g                   | 545g                    |
    | fill weight | 385g           | 375g                   | 340g                    |
    | price       | $365.00        | $420.00                | $530.00                 |
    |             |                |                        |                         |
    | -8C         | 800 goose down | 850 HyperDRY duck down | 950 HyperDRY goose down |
    | weight      | 710g           | 695g                   | 650g                    |
    | fill weight | 500g           | 485g                   | 440g                    |
    | price       | $400.00        | $460.00                | $615.00                 |

Specs: Short
  • Length: 168cm (66") for sewn footbox and zip/drawcord footbox when cinched closed, 180cm (71") with zip/drawcord footbox when open. Suits users up to 168cm (5'6"), reaches at least the nose of someone that tall so will work for people slightly taller but with more minimalist fit (I could just (just!) use it at 177cm tall, it comes up to my chin.
  • Shoulder Width: 132cm (52")
  • Foot Width: 97cm (38")
  • Weights, fill weights and prices:
    Code: Select all
    | +4C         | 800 goose down | 850 HyperDRY duck down | 950 HyperDRY goose down |
    | weight      | 425g           | 415g                   | 395g                    |
    | fill weight | 245g           | 235g                   | 215g                    |
    | price       | $325.00        | $365.00                | $445.00                 |
    | -2C         | 800 goose down | 850 HyperDRY duck down | 950 HyperDRY goose down |
    | weight      | 500g           | 490g                   | 460g                    |
    | fill weight | 320g           | 310g                   | 280g                    |
    | price       | $340.00        | $390.00                | $490.00                 |
    | -8C         | 800 goose down | 850 HyperDRY duck down | 950 HyperDRY goose down |
    | weight      | 600g           | 585g                   | 555g                    |
    | fill weight | 415g           | 400g                   | 370g                    |
    | price       | $370.00        | $430.00                | $560.00                 |

Finally some pictures of the new sizes of quilt, just so you know they're not vapourware!

An Acai Purple and Cadmium Yellow short quilt next to a regular size Burnt Orange and Navy quilt.
eP1280177.JPG

The same regular sized Burnt Orange and Navy quilt this time next to a long Royal Blue and Charcoal quilt.
eP1280185.JPG
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eremophila » Sun 16 Apr, 2017 6:15 pm

Finally a pic of my quilt in action! For various reasons I didn't get out much last year.
Obviously this is car-camping in the big tent, nevertheless I was amazed at the warmth and lightness of the quilt, it was sheer heaven! And soooo much easier to roll over & change position than the sleeping bag.
It also matches my swag rather well. Apologies for the poor quality of the photo.
Attachments
Quilt.JPG
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby HoneyBea » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 11:43 am

Hi Mike! I'm keen to order one of the short quilts please. Would be grateful for your reply by PM! Thanks so much.
HoneyBea
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tim-brissie » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 9:51 am

Hi Mike, please PM me too!
tim-brissie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Starkles » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi Mike. Long-time listener, first time caller. Can you please PM me. Thanks
Starkles
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jenkins1628 » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Mike,

Also keen on ordering a quilt. Would greatly appreciate a PM.

Thanks!
jenkins1628
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:06 am

Hi Mike

Im considering ordering a quilt but Im unsure if my shoulders will be pushing to much against the sides. My shoulder circumference is 52 inches. (the same as the bag). However Im not tall enough to consider choosing the tall/wide bag.

If I choose the regular size bag is the fit going to be to tight/uncomfortable ?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 02 May, 2017 11:03 am

wildwanderer wrote:Hi Mike

Im considering ordering a quilt but Im unsure if my shoulders will be pushing to much against the sides. My shoulder circumference is 52 inches. (the same as the bag). However Im not tall enough to consider choosing the tall/wide bag.

If I choose the regular size bag is the fit going to be to tight/uncomfortable ?

With the quilt and back-hole design the girth should feel more like a ~60" mummy bag at the shoulders/elbows so I think it would work for you, that said there wouldn't be a lot of extra room and it also depends on how you sleep. One option for extra width is to fill in the back hole giving the quilt a width of 60" in the chest area (See this thread for an idea on the design, just without the full length zip: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25052).
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Whiskybeard » Sat 06 May, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Mike,

As with Team summit I'm new to the forums and have found yourself and the forum through my research on quilts. I would like to order one of your quilts and have read through the forum and feedback on them and they look like just what I am after.

if you can PM me when you get a chance that would be great

Cheers
Whiskybeard
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Supertramp » Sun 07 May, 2017 10:28 am

Team Summit wrote:Hi Mike
I'm interested in ordering one of your quilts.
Could you please PM me?
Thanks

I imagine he's a busy man and wont be scouring these pages waiting for people to ask him to PM them, so send him one yourself.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Sun 07 May, 2017 12:58 pm

Supertramp wrote:
Team Summit wrote:Hi Mike
I'm interested in ordering one of your quilts.
Could you please PM me?
Thanks

I imagine he's a busy man and wont be scouring these pages waiting for people to ask him to PM them, so send him one yourself.

You have to have made a certain number of posts here before you can send PMs. Quite a few of those here requesting PMs from Mike have joined up purely to order a quilt.

And he's probably set up a notification for posts here. Hi Mike! Hope it's all going well.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 08 May, 2017 12:31 pm

I've sent you a PM Whiskeybeard. As NNW says, new members don't immediately have PM rights on the forum so need to post to request I PM them. Cheers, things are indeed going well!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 17 May, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Mike, Do you do custom sizes? I'm 185cm tall and 157cm around the chest including forearms. The long sounds right length wise but I'm going to need something a lot wider. Especially considering I'm an every-way sleeper, so I sleep on my side.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 17 May, 2017 5:30 pm

crollsurf wrote:Hi Mike, Do you do custom sizes? I'm 185cm tall and 157cm around the chest including forearms. The long sounds right length wise but I'm going to need something a lot wider. Especially considering I'm an every-way sleeper, so I sleep on my side.

One thing I can do to add width is to fill in the back hole, which gives a chest/shoulder width of 157cm (62") for the large size (hip width is slightly increased to approx 129cm and foot width remains 101cm). I've actually got one like this in construction right now, do you think this would work for you?
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 17 May, 2017 6:32 pm

undercling-mike wrote:
crollsurf wrote:Hi Mike, Do you do custom sizes? I'm 185cm tall and 157cm around the chest including forearms. The long sounds right length wise but I'm going to need something a lot wider. Especially considering I'm an every-way sleeper, so I sleep on my side.

One thing I can do to add width is to fill in the back hole, which gives a chest/shoulder width of 157cm (62") for the large size (hip width is slightly increased to approx 129cm and foot width remains 101cm). I've actually got one like this in construction right now, do you think this would work for you?

Not sure I understand but it sounds like it will work. I'm a few months from making a call so would love to see a photo when this one comes to life.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby undercling-mike » Thu 18 May, 2017 2:22 pm

crollsurf wrote:Not sure I understand but it sounds like it will work. I'm a few months from making a call so would love to see a photo when this one comes to life.

I'll definitely post some pics of that one to show people that option.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Thu 25 May, 2017 7:14 pm

I've got some pictures to show off the extra width option.

Here's a pretty standard looking long quilt with a very nice colour combo of Navy Blue and Burnt Orange both in the 10d fabric
eP1280516.JPG

From the back things look a little different
eP1280520.JPG

In comparison to the standard width option (Here a short Red Ochre and Burnt Orange quilt) you can see that the gap in the back of the standard version has been filled in in the wide. The overall shape hasn't been changed however so the extra width just covers the shoulder to upper legs area and the footbox is the same.
eP1280524.JPG

By filling in the back hole the quilt can splay open by about an extra 20cm girth compared to the regular option.
eP1280526.JPG

For the long the shoulder/chest width increases from 137cm to 157cm (54" to 62") while the regular and short increase from 132cm to 152cm (52" to 60")
eP1280528.JPG

In terms of weight the wide option adds about 17-35g depending on the size and temperature rating. For the 850 fill HyperDRY duck down the extra cost is $15 for a +4C quilt and $20 for a -2C or -8C quilt.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby philg » Fri 26 May, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Mike, I would like to buy one of you quilts. Thank-you, Phil.
philg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 26 May, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi Phil, I've sent you a PM. Cheers

philg wrote:Hi Mike, I would like to buy one of you quilts. Thank-you, Phil.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bonzadonza » Sun 28 May, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Mike, I'm keen to try and make my own quilt. Am I able to purchase some 950 Hyperdy goose down off you, or are you able to suggest another place I can get it from in Australia? Cheers Donna
Bonzadonza
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Sun 28 May, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi Donna, I've sent you a PM. Cheers
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Starkles » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 1:13 pm

I picked up my very light and compressible quilt from Mike earlier this week. I'm extremely impressed with the quality of his work, and the effort he put in to making sure it is just right for my needs. Photos and more details are here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pAAB4
Starkles
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Rosscodj » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 4:08 pm

G'day Mike,

I'm interested in buying a quilt. Can you shoot me a PM when you get the chance please? Thanks!!
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Rosscodj wrote:G'day Mike,

I'm interested in buying a quilt. Can you shoot me a PM when you get the chance please? Thanks!!

I've sent you a PM, cheers.

Starkles wrote:I picked up my very light and compressible quilt from Mike earlier this week. I'm extremely impressed with the quality of his work, and the effort he put in to making sure it is just right for my needs. Photos and more details are here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pAAB4

Thanks for sharing Starkles, it was an interesting custom project and I think the quilt turned out very nicely. For anyone interested it was an approx +10C quilt made to be very light with a small packed volume for fastpacking (?) with only a tiny pack.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby V2man » Wed 21 Jun, 2017 5:45 pm

G'day Mike,

We are interested in 2 of your quilts if you could PM us please

Cheers Hugh & Ang
V2man
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 21 Jun, 2017 8:51 pm

V2man wrote:G'day Mike,

We are interested in 2 of your quilts if you could PM us please

Cheers Hugh & Ang

I've sent you a PM, cheers!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Wed 21 Jun, 2017 9:31 pm

Mike is making some beautiful quilts.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Rosscodj » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 9:41 am

Ordered one of Mike's -8C quilts from his "In stock down quilts" thread (the macaw green one). Turned up the next day, and it's amazing. I'll be giving it a good test next weekend in the Hunter Valley, but I think it will do just fine. Thanks again Mike!!
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts