Narrow Neck Camping

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Narrow Neck Camping

Postby Quarksta » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 9:21 am

Does anybody know of any small campsites that aren't too far past the locked gate along Narrow Neck. From what I've read in other posts, before the locked gate is not a desirable place to look for a campsite.

I'm planning a hike out to the Wild Dogs and would like to find somewhere to camp that isn't too far from the car for the first night. It would only need to be big enough for one or two tents.
Quarksta
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Narrow Neck Camping

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 5:49 pm

You may be better off just pitching your tent on the edge of the firetrail, its increasingly scrubby and overgrown up there. What I have done in the past is arrived up there in the evening, then walked by torchlight to the end of narrowneck and camped not to far from Taros Ladder. There is a great view of Lake Burragorang in the morning. The only chore is sometimes the tent pegs can be a pain to go in due to the compacted ground.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Quarksta » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 5:59 pm

Yeah, I had thought of camping on the edge of the firetrail also, I just don't want to get woken up in the middle of the night because NPWS decides that's a good time to go for a drive out there. I know that there is also camping around the Carlon's Head area, however, I will probably be getting up there quite late so I don't want to have to walk too far from the car.

I was just having a look at the satellite view on Google Maps and it looks like there might be a bit of a turn off just past the Golden Stairs so I might check that area out.
Quarksta
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 6:05 pm

Be wary of the satelite view. I used it for reference the other weekend and was surprised at the difference on the ground. Not sure if a fire has gone through there since the satellite photos were taken but where there seems to be fairly open ground and a clear trail on the satellite, the reality on the ground is thick scrub.

You can camp at the locked gate and some spots before there (around Golden stairs as you mention). There is some soft clear ground in places but just be careful you dont step on a landmine !
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 6:11 pm

Doing the Friday night bash out along Narrow Neck was/is a time-honoured tradition for many of us and gives you a decent start to whatever adventure you have planned. I wouldn't worry about parks patrols etc. Head out to Carlon's or Taro's in the evening and you can then enjoy a little lie-in next morning.

There is a thread somewhere on this site that mentions a bit of an overhang along the road for that Friday night bivvy.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jonnosan » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 9:37 pm

This page has some info on camp caves on Narrowneck that might be of interest - http://www.david-noble.net/blog/?p=342

Otherwise, there is a bit of a clearing adjacent to the road at the top Corral Creek. I wouldn't expect to get water from there though.

There's also plenty of clearing, and a pit toilet, at the fire tower.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 20 Jun, 2017 9:45 pm

There are plenty of good campsites all the way along Narrow Neck if you choose to look. And also quite a few camp caves. Eg see -http://www.david-noble.net/blog/?p=342

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Quarksta » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 3:22 pm

Thank you for all the responses. Those caves look particularly interesting and I'll definitely try and check them out while I am out there. I had also thought it might be possible to find camping around Corral Creek so I will check that area out as well.
Quarksta
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT