Martin's Ck tracks?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Martin's Ck tracks?

Postby kanangra » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 3:15 pm

Yesterday I decided to check out the new track down across Martin's Ck. I set out from the Wattle Ridge CP and walked along the W11E. Found the turn off easy enough even though there is no markers. After a while the track narrows to a rough footpad which I follow down to the "creek". I use that term advisedly because there is no water or even a creek bed just a bit of dry swampy ground. Then up the other side to the Long Nose Rd and out. But the thing is I didn't notice any side tracks? I didn't notice the track down to the waterfall, though I doubt I missed anything there? Nor did I notice either of the tracks on the right leading back up to the car park? Are they still there or is my eye sight failing?

Oh by the way quite a nice walk. Spoilt only by the flat tyre that awaited me when I got back to the car. :x

Also the Wattle Ridge property is on the market at the moment.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Martin's Ck tracks?

Postby puredingo » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 4:23 pm

Hmmm, can't speak for your eye sight K as the bush is an ever changing, living, breathing thing. BUT Last time I was down there I noticed the waterfall track. It was on the elbow of a right hand bend I think and a cairn and possibly a piece of tape marked it? On that particular walk I followed the track that runs along the the next ridge (East I think?) that dumps you out not far from the car park. It was not long after a burn off and extremely hard to follow but it basically just runs a slight angle home.

I'm sure you would of seen the track that follows the creek back? That is very defined.

Incidentally when I crossed Msrtins creek I had to take my shoes off!!! But that was after the river changing rains.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby michael_p » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 6:16 pm

K,

Note: Post has been edited for clarity.

Sounds like you just missed them. Trust me it is easy to do. I wouldn't have even noticed the waterfall track if my friend, who had been down there previously, hadn't been with me.

The location of the track down to the waterfall is as described by puredingo. It is actually the tail end of the old logging trail that runs down Martins Creek (Sloss calls this the Disappointment Trail). You can clearly see the trail in old aerial photos of the area.

Refer to the photo below. Where I was standing is about where the trail you walked down (the NPWS fire break from the 11E FT) intersects with the Disappointment Trail. You would have been walking towards the camera. The cut section of the tree trunk is a handy marker. The area around this intersection had been burnt out and the old logging trail had been obliterated by the fire.
06t-intersection-scaled.JPG
06t-intersection-scaled.JPG (163.29 KiB) Viewed 4907 times

Michael.
Last edited by michael_p on Thu 27 Jul, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 12:20 pm

Looks like I was day dreaming again? :roll: Anyway I have an excuse to get back in there now. :?

Michael I can't access your photo?

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 1:04 pm

That's weird. I can see it. Re-uploaded image file, should be good now.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 2:22 pm

Ah it is there now. I don't remember seeing that sawn log. The whole area looked more overgrown where I crossed? I will have to pay more attention next time. I think I might try the Disappointment Track for something different.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT