Traveling raincoat query

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Traveling raincoat query

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 10:18 am

Daughter is traveling in Canada this coming Northern winter, already loaned/gifted her some stuff including a reasonable down jacket but she doesn't have a parka or raincoat big enough to fit over the thickness of the gear needed to be comfortable in a Canadian winter
WildEarth have a sale on at the moment ant the XTM Travelers raincoat is slightly discounted.

https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/xtm-st ... /RU003-BLK

Does any body here have any experience with this particular coat? I looks almost exactly the same as a coat from Rainbird that is no longer available that was very good value as a general purpose stash coat
Not so expensive that I can't afford to gift her one
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Traveling raincoat query

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 2:30 pm

Just back from the Post-Office, dropped into op-Shop when I walked past
Ladies size 14 UL nylon raincoat $3-
Now hanging up waiting to get a mild wash and a re-coat with silicon, better a size too big than too small and the price was right.
Fashion cut so if big tadpole wants it Cecile may need to put in a small gusset to make the sleeves large enough for winter layers; if she does not then I'll PIF it here
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby anne3 » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi Moondog55,
I just purchased the coat you mentioned from Wild Earth. I was looking for a 3/4 length to hike in with a pack on. Being unisex I brought the Large size, I am generally a ladies 14 (172cm tall), but went a bit bigger so I can layer up underneath. It is very generous and the only draw back is the sleeves are a tad long. As soon as it starts raining I am heading out in it!! Stay tuned and I will let you know how it goes. Cheers Anne. PS Ordered on Sunday and arrived to country Victoria today.
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 3:53 pm

Might get an XXL for myself then also
Tadpole is a petite 10 usually
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 9:58 am

I'd like something between that XTM and the heavier Mont/OP ones...

Have only got an OMM which is nice but will get shredded off track!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment