Wilsons Prom Overnight or Two

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilsons Prom Overnight or Two

Postby bigwallclimber » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi There Everyone,

I am looking for a overnight or two night walk in wilsons prom, the caveat is I would like to OB (Out of Bounds) camp.

I detest camp grounds one because of the noise and secondly the people lol. Does anyone have any information on some walks down there that would interest me and that could achieve this?

It will be myself and one other going and looking for a scenic route, a good little remote camp area would be great.

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilsons Prom Overnight or Two

Postby Camminata » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 1:47 pm

Consider the Northern circuit, not sure about OB in southern prom its quite regulated and a busy highway
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 9:21 pm

What about the Hike from 5 Mile Car Park to 5 Mile beach camp and onto Johnny Souey Cove?. The campsites there are good, small and kind of remote with no facilities at all. There is a tiny stream for drinking water at each beach but take a pump up water filter. The Northern Prom is more remote and less of a tourist highway than the Southern section is.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Tue 26 Sep, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby bigwallclimber » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 11:53 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:What about the Hike from 5 Mile Car Park to 5 Mile beach camp and onto Johnny Souey Cove. The campsites there are good, small and kind of remote with no facilities at all. There is a tiny stream for drinking water at each beach but take a pump up water filter. The Northern Prom is more remote and less of a tourist highway than the Southern section is.

Thanks for the information, I think I am going to head to the north and steer clear of the madding crowds.

Thanks for the help.

dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 5:10 pm

The 5 Mile road should be avoided in summer when It is hot , dry and without any shade. You will need a remote trekking permit for all camp sites other than 5 Mile Beach and Johnny Souey Cove. 5 Mile Beach is worth exploring by spending two nights at 5 Mile Beach campsite . You need to know that the fresh water source is across the brackish Miranda creek mouth, at a tiny spring at 5 Mile Beach camp site in the tea trees.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:49 pm

Good tips. Bear in mind the five mile road is a maintenance road and a bit of a boring walk, though it's nice to be able to look around. I think it's a shame they don't allow bikes on it, as it would make a weekend microadventure to Five Mile Beach a bit more appealing...

It seems that you also now need a remote area permit to stay at Five Mile Beach and Johnny Souey Cove, and all campsites have to be booked in advance (not just in the south).

I met a few people who'd walked the circuit; apparently the markers were washed away in the floods recently and the track is quite overgrown - but not overly wet (mid shin to waist deep). Said they spent a lot of time back-tracking after following false leads though.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 9:54 pm

Chinaman's Swamp in the N. Prom . would be hell if it is full of water. Do that section or loop in early April when it is dry.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby twwen2 » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 8:38 pm

Sorry to hijack, but I'm planning to do the 2-night southern circuit (Sealers Cove then LWB) on the weekend after Cup Day. Looking at the weather stats I'd guess there's a good chance of rain on at least one of the days, but I'm wondering if there's any recent track condition updates that I should be aware of?
twwen2
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 31 Oct, 2017 10:53 pm

The Southern Prom is a super highway .I would not worry about the tracks along there. You might have step over a fallen tree or through some mud but nothing serious. The N. Prom is hardcore and not the faint hearted or beginner navigator.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kipper » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 8:09 am

I walked this track a few months ago, but only spent one night camping (Telegraph Saddle > LWB; LWB > Telegraph Saddle). In retrospect, if we'd had an extra night, it would have been a more relaxed walk, as the first day was a bit of a slog (we left Melbourne at 5am and weren't on the track until about 10am), so we arrived at LWB just before dusk. If you've got two nights, I'd start a bit further away at Tidal River and come back via Little Oberon Bay. If you head north at Telegraph Junction (i.e. heading back to Telegraph Saddle), you're basically walking on a four-wheel-drive track back to Telegraph Saddle, which is a bit of a downer.

As PCV says, there's not much that can hold you back on that track. You might want to check the tides, as you will need to cross the creek at Sealer's Cove. Depending on the tide, it will either be a knee-high crossing or a swim:) Also, when we were there, about half of the campsites at LWB were flooded, which meant there weren't many camp sites to choose from (especially given we arrived at dusk and an outdoor adventure group had already clocked-in!).

Enjoy! It's a stunning walk.
Kipper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 6:20 pm

If I do a quick walk at the Prom it is usually clockwise :Day 1:Telegraph Saddle/Sealers' Cove / camping one night at Refuge cove . Day two head for LWB and back to Tidal River via Oberon Bay rather than up the Telegraph track, if I am feeling fit.
That clocks in at about 42kms. Camping on Friday night at Stockyard at the Prom Gate /Park entrance makes for an early start.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 6:27 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If I do a quick walk at the Prom it is usually clockwise :Day 1:Telegraph Saddle/Sealers' Cove / camping one night at Refuge cove . Day two head for LWB and back to Tidal River via Oberon Bay rather than up the Telegraph track, if I am feeling fit.
That clocks in at about 42kms. Camping on Friday night at Stockyard at the Prom Gate /Park entrance makes for an early start.

Nothing makes me feel older than remembering when I could do that circuit in one day. :cry:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Victoria