Budget trail food in Sydney

Food topics, including recipes.

Budget trail food in Sydney

Postby A Jay » Fri 22 Sep, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi,I'm a Newcastle resident and am planning my first multi-day hike. I'd like to purchase bulk dried fruit, nuts, and jerky. I think the dried fruit is the biggest concern price-wise.

I'm happy to train it to Sydney to get cheaper dried fruit, and want to ask if anyone knows the best place to go.

The dried fruit does have to be the natural stuff though, not preserved dried fruit like the usual supermarket dried fruit.

I thought about the Sydney Produce Market in Flemington, however I couldn't find any information on whether they do dried fruit on their Produce days, which I believe are Fridays and Saturdays.
A Jay
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Budget trail food in Sydney

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 22 Sep, 2017 11:10 pm

You should be able to get everything you need in either supermarkets or health food shops. No need to travel to Sydney.

You could also check out Forager Fruits in Tasmania for freeze dried fruits. Haven't tried them but they look okay.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Rosscodj » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 9:12 am

This is a flying guess, but you could try the Newcastle or Speers Point farmers markets. You can definitely get nuts there, I thiiiiink (but I'm not 100%) that they also have dried fruit at some of the stalls. Might be worth a look before heading to Sydney.
Rosscodj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 9:25 am

How much dried fruit are you planning to take ? :lol: Your not going to need crates of the stuff, certainly not in quantities to justify the time/cost of a trip to sydney and back.

Everything you need food wise for your first hike is available for cheap at coles and woolies in Newcastle. There is often 2 for 1 or 30% off deals every week or so. Wait for those and buy in reasonable quantiy for a couple of trips.

- Dried fruit/trail mixes etc. Even jerky. (have you tried / like jerky ?)
- Carmans muesli bars are awesome. Weight for the coles 30-40% off deals they usually have them atleast every 2 weeks.
- Continental pasta/rissoto works great. (boost with some dehydrated peas etc/salami).
- Coles / woolies home brand is good and cheap.
- I like the vintage cheese and crackers combo. Should be fine on a walk under 4 days, just dont leave the packet in the sun.
- Dont forget a chocolate bar or two. Jelly beans work well also. You will appreciate the immediate energy boost if eaten before tacking a big hill.

EDIT. sorry i just read your post correctly. If it were me and it was my first hike.. Id ditch the all food must be natural etc no preservatives requirement.. A bit of preservative etc is not going to hurt you for 3-4 days. If afterwards you find you enjoy hiking then consider purchasing a food dehydrator. Then you can buy all foods fresh and dehydrate at home in preparation for your trips. Will work out way less hassle and less expensive in the long run.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby That_Asian_Bloke » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 8:21 pm

Jims Jerky is really good if you don't have your own dehydrator

http://www.jimsjerky.com.au/value-mix~10856
That_Asian_Bloke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 8:40 pm

Jacks Black Label jerky online is pretty good. Best I've found is the butchers at Valla Beach though. Check your local butcher shops.

Unless you really love/need meat flavour, jerky is pretty much nutritionally void for the amount you eat...

I now like to take a little vac-pack supermarket rump steak for the first night, a brie for the second.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidf » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 8:07 pm

Aldi! has all you want. For a half week I'd do night one with a kransky and a spud then deb/noodles for dinner the rest. Instant porridge and condenssend milk an a tube (a longer trip powered) then the other stuff mentioned. i dont generally have a sweet tooth but on a more than 2 day walk LOLLIES. Also powdered drink stuff, goes great with vodka
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker