2go systems trifecta bivvy modification ideas

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

2go systems trifecta bivvy modification ideas

Postby Rileyr » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 10:39 am

Hi all,

I am looking to modify my 2go systems trifecta bivvy and add a mozzie net at the head end so that it can be totally bug proof and a fully stand alone system.

The reason I want to make the trifecta a fully stand alone system is simple. Its light (only 450g) and will be super quick and easy to setup. The trifecta is waterproof, breathable and heat reflective! So its not only a bivvy but it also helps keep you warm - meaning you could use a lighter sleeping bag, or none at all!

The 2go systems trifecta is huge when used in its bivvy form. When im inside it i can fully zip it closed and still have heaps of head room (im 186cm tall - over 6ft).

So far I have added a small loop on the center line at the head end so that it can be propped up with a stick or hiking pole (much like a simple swag). A couple of pegs at the foot end make it work much better. This is shown in the pics. There is also a pic of the side opened for easy entry and exit.

From here I need to think of the best way to add a mozzie net just at the head end to keep all the insects out. I have a couple of ideas so far.

1: sew mozzie net onto top flap and then sew an open ended zip to the bottom flap. This way the mozzie net can be opened by the zip and the trifecta can then be fully opened into a blanket.

2: sew mozzie net onto top flap, have the mozzie net longer than need be, and then fold it under the bivvy. this is less bugproof but easy to use (no zip) and make.

3: sew on a strip of velcro on the top flap and at the top of the mozzie net. Sew on an open ended zip on the bottom flap. This way the whole mozzie net could be removed if needed, leaving only the velcro and half of the zip on the bivvy. This would be handy if using in a tent or under another bug net. (Or could use 2 open end zips - but these add some weight)

What does every one think? Does any one have an idea which would be a better way?
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: 2go systems trifecta bivvy modification ideas

Postby Rileyr » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 11:50 am

Ps: when raining I could tuck the bottom flap under a little - making the top a small vesterbule type thing. In really heavy rain, or when im cold i could zip the bivvy totally closed.

I would also leave my sleeping bag in the bivvy and roll them up or stuff them into a stuff sack. I plan on using the 450gram aegismax quilt/sleeping bag with it for most weather situations - just add jumper, beanie or down vest if cold. So that would mean the whole sleep system would be under 1kg - which would be pretty good!

If I want to be luxurious or if bad weather is likely I could get myself a poncho/tarp combo. The lightweight sea to summit version looks good, and not crazy expensive

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 12:44 pm

Have you already slept inside it ?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rileyr » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 4:10 pm

Franco wrote:Have you already slept inside it ?
Not yet, only a quick test. I have slept in other bivvys a lot though.

Have you had issues with one?

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 5:45 pm

The only comment I have is that insects will find any gap in the protection, no matter how small. If you're using velcro to seal the mesh, you will need a continuous strip of velcro, not just pieces every 10cm or so. And if you're using a zip to seal the mesh, you will need to pay close attention to detailing at the ends of the zip.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby andrewa » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 7:32 pm

I'd attach it with a zip - sew the bottom of the bug net onto the bottom of the bivy, and then zip the rest. Agree about ribuck's comments above. How is condensation in it, given there's no flow through ventilation?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Rileyr » Sun 29 Oct, 2017 5:56 am

Ok, Ill pay attention to sealing any gaps. Ill need to find the perfect sized zip.

Condensation shouldnt be an issue - I havent tested it fully myself yet but all reviews ive seen online say that it breathes quite well. Fingers crossed I find the same thing.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 4:50 pm

So my gf helped me (did it all) sew the mozzie net onto the bivvy.

The zip is a 90cm open ended double sided zip labelled as a sleeping bag zip at spotlight

The mozzie net was some sort of 'tule' from spotlight which I could not rip, so its pretty strong and its stretchy. Its got a fine weave too so nothing is getting through.

First the zip was added on the bottom, then the tule was cut to a half dome and sewed to the top.

Im taking only this with me tomorrow night to the cathedral range state park. No tarp, no sleeping bag. Possible showers forecasted. Will give a review when I get back.

Here are some pics.ImageImageImage

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 8:00 pm

Mixed results.

It definitely did a great job of keeping me warm. My $5 thermometer said it was around 10deg at its coldest in the early morning. I put a thin fleece and beanie on and was toasty. Thats the good.

The bad: It rained at 2.30 or so, a decent couple of showers but didnt last for long. The vestebule type thing did great, no water came in. However, after the shower I was checking to see if water had leaked in, and there was some growing dampness. But I was pretty sure it wasnt leaking in and that it was condensation. The dampness wasnt in one spot, it was evenly dispersed just like condensation. It wasnt pooled next to a zipper or anything. But its meant to be breathable, esspecially with the head end open like that. Unfortunately it got a bit damp, damp enough to make the toes of my socks damp. By morning it was much less damp in the bivvy.

So when I got home I got a bucket, put tissues at the bottom, put part of the bivvy over it and filled it with water. After 7hrs absolutely no water came through, it wasnt even a little bit damp on the underside. (Pic attached)

So, im pretty sure the bivvy is breathable, because there was no condensation before the rain, and the bivvy dried out sometime after the rain. Im confident that the bivvy material is water proof after that test. What I think is that thr bivvy cannot 'breathe' if the outer material has water on it, thus causing a buildup of condensation.

What does all this mean? To me it means that if im in a wet environment, with rain everynight, that the bivvy is going to have condensation issues and I may not get a chance to dry it out - so instead of wet from the outside i get wet from the inside. Not a big issue if im not in say Darwin or Tassie, but an issue nonetheless.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 11:37 am

Have you ever heard of the concept of 'dew point'?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 1:37 pm

While bivvies have a place, and I have tried them, they are rather reliant on having good weather. More interesting than a shower or two overnight is dealing with getting set up and in when raining and similarly exiting/packing up in rain and I can assure you that you can get a few days in a row of persistent rain in most of Eastern Australia. It seems to me that bivvies need to be used with a fly for any degree of comfort and that adds to the weight but allows one to use a lighter bivvy that only has to deal with splash and wind so less waterproof and more breathable. As for weight my Solplex is 430g and my old Hexamid+ with net tent was 370g - sit up, cook, get dressed, pack up/unpack out of the weather.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 3:50 pm

I second the bivvy / tarp combination. You don’t have to put the tarp up if the weather looks good but the extra comfort in the rain makes it definitely worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Rileyr » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 9:06 pm

north-north-west wrote:Have you ever heard of the concept of 'dew point'?
No i havent

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 9:08 pm

Mark F wrote:While bivvies have a place, and I have tried them, they are rather reliant on having good weather. More interesting than a shower or two overnight is dealing with getting set up and in when raining and similarly exiting/packing up in rain and I can assure you that you can get a few days in a row of persistent rain in most of Eastern Australia. It seems to me that bivvies need to be used with a fly for any degree of comfort and that adds to the weight but allows one to use a lighter bivvy that only has to deal with splash and wind so less waterproof and more breathable. As for weight my Solplex is 430g and my old Hexamid+ with net tent was 370g - sit up, cook, get dressed, pack up/unpack out of the weather.
Yeah there are some fantastic cuben fibre shelters out there, but very pricey. I do really like the look of the zpack shelters

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 9:09 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:I second the bivvy / tarp combination. You don’t have to put the tarp up if the weather looks good but the extra comfort in the rain makes it definitely worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe a lightweight poncho tarp will suffice. But that means carrying extra pegs as well...

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 9:21 pm

I might be better off getting a sol escape bivvy (in picture) which is made of the same material as the 2go systems trifecta. But because its so much smaller with less zippers its only 250g. My partner has one and its great.

I could add a mozzie net onto it quite easily adding 40-50g.

Couple that with a 250g tarp.

200g of pegs and tie outs

Total system of 750g ish.

Thats about 200g heavier than the 2go systems trifecta bivvy, but might provide more comfort.

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 7:20 pm

I don't know what pegs and and tie outs you carry, but 200g seems overkill.

The SOL bivy is going to have the same issues as the 2go one. They are both made of non-breathable fabric with no ventilation. If you're set on bivvy and tarp why not just invest in a bug net bivy and a light tarp.

Personally, if I was using a tarp to save weight I'd just be sleeping on a ground sheet. There are plenty of tents that are as light as your proposed bivy/tarp set up with a lot more comfort.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Rileyr » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 5:01 am

whitefang wrote:I don't know what pegs and and tie outs you carry, but 200g seems overkill.

The SOL bivy is going to have the same issues as the 2go one. They are both made of non-breathable fabric with no ventilation. If you're set on bivvy and tarp why not just invest in a bug net bivy and a light tarp.

Personally, if I was using a tarp to save weight I'd just be sleeping on a ground sheet. There are plenty of tents that are as light as your proposed bivy/tarp set up with a lot more comfort.

Your right, I could probably save some weight with some smaller pegs.

I think there is potential for condensationin any waterproof bivvy. My partner and I have used the sol bivvy 4-5 times under a tarp (inside a bugnet and purely for extra warmth) and neither of us noticed any condensation.

I envy some of the cuben fibre tents out there for their weight. But they dont come cheap unfortunately.

Tarp and ground sheet in an option and ive done it in the past but the drawbacks are having no splash protection and no bug protection

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 6:26 pm

Rileyr wrote:I envy some of the cuben fibre tents out there for their weight. But they dont come cheap unfortunately.

You don't even need to buy a cuben fiber tent to go that light. My TarpTent ProTrail is 739g. Runs about $360AUD to your door. Or for a really budget conscious option you can get a 3F UL Lanshan 1 which weighs 840g for $70USD. Both of those options are quite similar to your tarp/bivy combo.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Rileyr » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks whitefang, that tarptent protrail looks the goods!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear