Salomon XA Pro 3d gtx narrow toebox

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Salomon XA Pro 3d gtx narrow toebox

Postby Drew » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 1:36 pm

I bought a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3d gtx hiking shoes (well, they're called Trail Runners but for me they're hiking shoes) in the sales. I mostly still wear boots for multi-day hikes but am transitioning towards wearing shoes more often.

I wore them for a few days at Wilsons Prom and alas, they don't seem to be a good fit for my feet. They seemed super comfy in the shop and, being a shoe rather than a boot, I figured they'd be fairly forgiving. However the toebox seems a bit too narrow for me. They have some firm rubber bits around the toebox for protection (one thing I liked about them as I often kick rocks and roots!) which seem to press on the edge of my big toes and a little bit on my pinkies. No blistering (presumably because my toes are callused!), just uncomfortable pressure.

Anyway, I'm assuming I'll have to suck it up and sell them at a loss but thought it worth asking if anyone else has had this experience with the same shoes, and whether their shoes softened up enough after being worn a bit?

I got through the hike without too much discomfort by putting on thin socks and cutting away some of my callused skin to make a bit more space, but I know that long term these shoes are unlikely to make my feet happy. I couldn't got any bigger in size as they are only just tight enough around my heel as it is.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Salomon XA Pro 3d gtx narrow toebox

Postby Neo » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 5:01 pm

If synthetic they won't stretch and can't be stretched so probably won't get any more comfortable :(
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby McGinnis » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 6:58 pm

I had the non-goretex version of those shoes and found they stretched stretched quite well to fit my foot, having been slightly too tight instore. I don't know whether that'll be the case with the goretex version, though, as mine were predominantly mesh. They were great shoes but had an disappointingly short life, unfortunately.
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Hallu » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:32 pm

I have the SALOMON X ULTRA 2 GTX SPG and the Salomon Cosmic 4d 2 Gtx. The X Ultra are my shoes of choice for hiking. Very comfortable, however I take them a size higher. I'm a 45 EU and bought a 46 EU this time (having bought a size 45 for my previous pair of the same shoes). They have a normal toe box, however I found that they tend to shrink over time, not expand. As for the Cosmic 4D, they're stiff boots I use for winter. They're a lot less forgiving, but waterproof and still comfortable compared to other boots I've tried like Zamberlan.

So my take on Salomon is that they're super comfortable, that's why I buy them, but they size small, and they're not durable. Usually the X Ultra last 2 years for me, it's mainly the outer sole that sees the most wear and tear, it gets flat and smooth quite quickly compared to tougher shoes like Zamberlan. But I wouldn't change for the world, as they're the ones in which I get the least blisters.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 7:33 am

I love my salomons and I wear them out before replacing. I just got a new pair and noticed the same thing !

Try loosening the 'laces'. For whatever reason they seem to tighten hardest around the front of the foot, and I find they're very comfortable to walk in a touch looser than i would normally wear shoes.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 7:39 am

Could try something like this, I start the cross over at the third hole on a pair of Oboz.
Attachments
lacing_side.jpg
lacing_side.jpg (48.98 KiB) Viewed 15330 times
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 8:02 am

Could try something like this, I start the cross over at the third hole on a pair of Oboz.

Unfortunately not Neo. No laces!

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 8.56.46 am.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 8.56.46 am.png (348.86 KiB) Viewed 15322 times

This was a bit of a turn off for me both because of the lack of adjustability and the need to have a special replacement "lace" in case of breakage.

I love my salomons and I wear them out before replacing. I just got a new pair and noticed the same thing !

Try loosening the 'laces'. For whatever reason they seem to tighten hardest around the front of the foot, and I find they're very comfortable to walk in a touch looser than i would normally wear shoes.

So your new pair is the same model as your old ones CasualNerd? I did try making the "laces" looser at the bottom, but I didn't have much luck, as the cord slides quite smoothly through the eyelets and tends to distribute tension evenly.
Drew

Postby Drew » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 8:05 am

So my take on Salomon is that they're super comfortable, that's why I buy them, but they size small, and they're not durable.

I don't think it's so much a size issue as a shape one for me. If they were half a size bigger they'd be way too loose around my heel. The reviews tell me that this particular model is very durable for reasonably lightweight shoes. I might not ever get to test that claim though!
Drew

Postby Neo » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 8:08 am

Unless you could remove that lace and start again higher up!
On a recent boot/shoes question here, I forget the name but someone likes to wear their shoes loose as opposed to boots being done up tight.
My fivefingers have a similar lace system but the 'shoe' is flexible and foot shaped :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 8:33 am

That could be worth trying actually! The lace is connected at the bottom exactly where the hard rubber bit that pushes on my big toe is, so it might relieve some pressure.
Drew

Postby Drew » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 2:31 pm

That could be worth trying actually! The lace is connected at the bottom exactly where the hard rubber bit that pushes on my big toe is, so it might relieve some pressure.

Although the internet tells me that mucking around with these kevlar laces is a bit of a nightmare so maybe not... I think I'd need to buy a replacement set. We'll see.
Drew

Postby Neo » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 2:42 pm

Can't remove the top toggle, or cut in half at the base & tie a knot? Or just swap for regular laces.

All still a long shot to make them feel better, but if you can't return them...
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 2:43 pm

When I gave up on added arch supports I tried modifying a pair of them to see if I could get some Teva shoes to stop rubbing my little toe. No luck, still in a box somewhere
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 7:13 am

Drew wrote:So your new pair is the same model as your old ones CasualNerd? I did try making the "laces" looser at the bottom, but I didn't have much luck, as the cord slides quite smoothly through the eyelets and tends to distribute tension evenly.

I switched back from XUltra to XAPro, but similar. The old pair were not just worn in, the soles were falling off. The XAPro bottom lace is much lower than the XUltra though.

Neo wrote:Can't remove the top toggle, or cut in half at the base & tie a knot? Or just swap for regular laces.

This made me remember, the laces on my previous pair had actually snapped on the lowest section and I tied them back on higher. Great advice ! The laces are a bit fiddly but a knot held mine for months.

You can always get a replacement set of quicklaces that come in two parts - with a loop on both to tie on whatever eyelet you want. They're $15 a set though.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 8:42 am

Yeah I guess it's worth having a play with. They'd need to be very thin normal laces but might work. My partner did suggest that I clean them up and try returning them but after a wash they still wouldn't pass for "only worn inside the house". Plus I'd feel a bit bad...
Drew

Postby slparker » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 12:56 pm

Drew wrote:

Yeah I guess it's worth having a play with. They'd need to be very thin normal laces but might work. My partner did suggest that I clean them up and try returning them but after a wash they still wouldn't pass for "only worn inside the house". Plus I'd feel a bit bad...

I modified the laces on my Salomon x-ultra. I have effectively created two sections by buying another pair of speed laces and having two speedlaces per shoe. That was to get a better heel fit as the heel cup on the xa pro is far better than the x-ultra.

It worked, but not particularly well and the shoes are 'dogwalkers now' - in my opinion finding a narrow traditional lace would be a better solution I just have no idea what would fit apart from thin para cord - which I don't fancy would tie very successfully.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 12:52 pm

After wearing these shoes a a little bit I began to think that they might have softened up and could potentially work for me - they seem so comfy! However I wore them on a day walk a few weeks ago and after 4 hours they were causing discomfort in the same spot. I haven't tried messing around with the laces, I think I'll just cut my losses. They're destined for market square once I give them a scrub and take some photos.

So, any suggestions on a similar shoe with a slightly wider toe box?
Drew

Postby Lamont » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 2:21 pm

If someone in Aus would sell the wide version of these more of us would be better off maybe. I tried to size one whole size up with these and they were still too narrow. Now I wear Inov8 Trail Talon 290 and take my chances with the mesh. Having said that they have just passed about 900ks the last 150 or so with small tears around the pinky but the strength of the mesh stopped my foot fully going thru. I reckon I could get another 50 -100ks and the sole still has quite excellent tread. They have an excellent rockplate and a new even tougher model in blue and black has just come out- however most traditionalists get turned off the light runner look. Probably best if you mix your walking between track and rough, or possibly really rough track only. Not too sure about constant dragging thru' scrub. Inov8s in what they call standard fit are wider, their precision fit is narrower.(I have the Salomon Quest PRIME boot model for colder weather) Might work for you? ps not tring to tell you how to suck eggs but you do get fitted when your feet are nicely swollen at the end of the day and or wear 2 pairs of your own socks when getting fitted don't you? Cheers
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby wayno » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 2:50 pm

salomons tend to be narror in the forefoot,
i ended up sizing up with salomons.
wear the thinnest socks you can,
try liner socks,
problem is in the heat and with walking your feet swell up, so you have to allow for that when trying them on in the shop, if they are a close fit in the shop then you might find they are too tight on a long walk.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Drew » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 2:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Lamont. I'll check out the Inov8s. Hard to gauge toughness looking at pictures of them but maybe the Roclite 305s are worth a look as well as the Talon 290.
I don't do a lot of off-track but nevertheless like things to last as long as possible. I still have my Asolo boots (which have lots of life in them yet) which I'm happy to wear in colder and wetter weather but have wanted to transition to trail runners for a lot of my walking.

ps not tring to tell you how to suck eggs but you do get fitted when your feet are nicely swollen at the end of the day and or wear 2 pairs of your own socks when getting fitted don't you? Cheers

I normally would do all that when boot shopping (and agonise over the decision) but I was a bit casual in this instance, assuming that trail runners would be a lot more forgiving than boots! They are in many ways but the toebox of those Salomon's is stiff!
Drew

Postby Drew » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 2:57 pm

wear the thinnest socks you can,
try liner socks,
problem is in the heat and with walking your feet swell up, so you have to allow for that when trying them on in the shop, if they are a close fit in the shop then you might find they are too tight on a long walk.

Yep, tried thin socks and with and without liners but no good. Just too narrow for my big toe unfortunately, despite feeling super comfy initially. I definitely couldn't go up a size, they'd be way too loose on the heel.
Drew

Postby wayno » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 3:03 pm

teh insoles they come with usually collapse with use and might give you a bit of room to move
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Lamont » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 3:20 pm

I wore these for 3 days in a lot of rain, temp around 5-8C. They drain freely and your feet will dry out when the rain stops. But again this type of shoe seems to cause much consternation. Salomons will last no longer than these. Quality wise most Salomons seem to be for more casual wear compared to most I Inov8s.I have owned 5 pairs of Inov8s and 3 of Salomon-so far no comparison for fit, durabilty and a tread that grips. The newer XA were supposed to be better and wider, but I've not had evidence from people who clock up a lot of ks per year that this is the case. There is much positivity for Inov8s.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Drew » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks Lamont. Yeah, as someone who's accustomed to wearing GoreTex boots (which have generally done a good job of keeping my feet dry) I struggle with the idea of getting wet then drying out quickly. Sounds miserable in cold weather! Nice to not get wet feet just from walking through dewy grass on a cold morning. But, I don't want to start that debate here...

Good to hear that you think the Inov8s are so good, I'll head in to The Walking Company next time I'm in the city and try some on.
Drew

Postby slparker » Fri 15 Jun, 2018 12:02 pm

I have used Salomon shoes for walking and running for over a decade (had 4 pairs of XA pro in that time). In 2017 the last for XA Pro and wings pro became much narrower and I now cannot wear them.
Unless the 2018/9 models are different I can’t see them fitting the 'Australian foot'. A shame as they were good shoes and the sole is an improvement in grip, by all accounts.
I note that a wide version is available online in XA Pro and in speedcross and also that the specific Salomon walking shoes (as distinct from trail runners) are still moderately wide (and ubiquitous).
The XA always had the best, most stable heel cup in the business, IMHO. Better than any boot I have ever tried except maybe the Rossi mulga.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 3:37 pm

I tried the Inov8 Roclite 305s today. Felt very comfy and certainly more forgiving on the toes but I wasn't quite convinced about both foot protection and durability. As someone more accustomed to boots it's hard to believe that such light and flimsy-seeming things could stand up to much. The Salomon's at least felt substantial. I might buy them yet, am thinking it over.
Also tried a couple of North Face shoes (Hedgehog Fastpack and Ultra Fastpack) but thought they might also be a little narrow in the toes.
Drew

Return to Equipment