GARMIN Inreach SE (elCheapo) SAFETY plan advice

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Postby Lamont » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 1:57 pm

G'day, just bought a Garmin Inreach SE and taken the "safety plan" for which I know I get 3(free) preset messages +10 (free)text messages each month. Garmin were all but useless when I spoke with them and took a week to tell me how to activate the unit which didn't work anyway. I found out myself with Senor GOOgle.
My Q is what other, if anything can I do/get for free on this elCheapo plan. The response time in use has been excellent, I sent a preset text from atop Baw Baw -AAWT a few days ago whilst on the phone to my daughter and she received it immediately. Sent several -others same thing. The screen has all these options -any ideas? BTW my eyes aren't the greatest and I use glasses to read but I can use this in any light, I bought the Garmin version for the "bigger" screen and it squeaks when your message is sent perfect!
Ta G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: GARMIN Inreach SE (elCheapo) SAFETY plan advice

Postby NathanaelB » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 8:13 am

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking as you seem to have answered your own questions.

I also have the SE+ and am on the same plan as you.

The preset messages are the three you can set https://aus.inreach.garmin.com/Messages and are sent using the Preset menu item. I have one set up that simply posts my location to MapShare so anyone following at home can see where I am without using the Tracking feature which on this plan costs $0.15 per tracking point as a "last known location" feature.

You can grant people access to your MapShare and password-protect it. You can also delete old tracks off your MapShare if you only want to show the tracking points or location updates/messages for a current trip - I've posted how on forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/inreach/inreach-general-topics/1240570-delete-a-recorded-track-from-mapshare
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks Nathaniel, it is something like this Mapshare that I am interested in. I send each of my Presets to both my daughters mobiles and their email (they at this stage are the only ones I would want to know my whereabouts)-the email they receive at the same time gives my location on a map and the capacity to reply which I know is not free, is Mapshare a better way to do it and just a way to expand your known whereabouts? I will check out your link, Ta. I suppose I was wondering about the other features on the menu screen apart from the tracking (Pay) and the weather (pay) if I can use anything else within this plan that you have come across. Very happy with it so far though.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NathanaelB » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 1:13 pm

The link in the email or SMS goes to the same MapShare so they can see any other messages or tracking points you've published to MapShare when they click the link (including entering a password if you've password protected it).

I don't think they can reply to the SMS? They certainly can't reply to emails. I'll have to check that. I thought the only way a non-inReach user could message you was via MapShare and only if you've enabled it in MapShare Options on this page https://aus.inreach.garmin.com/Social where you can also allow MapShare viewers to ping your device for a location check (that'll cost you, I think $0.15 as per a tracking point but possibly counts as a message) and you can also show or hide whether they can see tracking points, pinged location, and messages you specifically send to MapShare (such as the poor man's manual location update I mentioned that I do).
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NathanaelB » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 1:16 pm

I haven't used the weather feature yet, there's also some mapping and directional features but I use my eTrex 30 for navigation.
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MrWalker » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 2:20 pm

NathanaelB wrote:I don't think they can reply to the SMS? They certainly can't reply to emails. I'll have to check that.

I think you can send your text message to any mobile phone and they can click reply on their phone to send a message back. But they can't enter the "number" of your beacon on their phone, only use the reply option.
If you know someone else with a Garmin InReach you can send each other messages and the message location appears on your map. In our family we all have one, since we usually get well-separated. If one of us sends a message the rest of use can see where the sender was, in relation to our own track marked on our map.

The Map is a useful safety feature, even though you don't get any terrain showing on your device. If you lose the track you have been following, you can use the Map to see where you have come from and follow your way back on the same route, or just go back to where you started.

Waypoints lets you enhance this option by entering the coordinates of a waypoint so you can head towards it. Or while walking, you can save a waypoint, such as a track junction, so you can find it again later, or see how far you are from it on your return trip.

Trip Info will tell you how far you have gone on this trip.

Location gives you your coordinates, so if you can contact someone by phone (friends or emergency services) you can read off your precise coordinates.

Settings should be checked to make your information is in the right units. Under Tracking, check Log Interval. On a day trip make the log interval as short as possible, to keep track of your current location accurately. On multi-day trips, make the interval around 10 minutes to conserve battery life.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 2:58 pm

Nathaniel and Mr W, yep, reply is an option no problem but it counts as an sms to my account on the el-Cheapo plan. I just send a preset (Free) over and over and all info including map is there. I really like that I can put emails and phone numbers bundled into the recipients. I use OSM FREE app(Cycling source has Topo) (and had Handy GPS app. from an Ausie designer) for mapping on my phone which I am carrying anyway. Now if they just allowed the preset recipients to be altered on the device... I am not sure if all the features you describe MR W are available on my plan? You sound like you may have a better one? Thanks to both of you for answering.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NathanaelB » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 6:05 pm

No, you cannot change the recipients of three preset messages on the device, only on the web, which is probably part of the reason that they can offer those free because the device is transmitting less data? Then all it needs to do is tell the Garmin website "Send Message #1 with this location information" and the website knows which message text and which recipients.
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MrWalker » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 6:22 pm

Lamont wrote:I am not sure if all the features you describe MR W are available on my plan? You sound like you may have a better one? Thanks to both of you for answering.

I have the plan that lets me send my position every 10 min for free (up to some large number of points sent per month). I prefer that over a system that requires me to push a button send my position or messages. The continuous tracking means that if I keel over and am unable to press any buttons, the device will keep transmitting my position for another day or two.
MrWalker

Region: Tasmania

Postby lseries92 » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 8:13 pm

NathanaelB wrote:I haven't used the weather feature yet, there's also some mapping and directional features but I use my eTrex 30 for navigation.

I have used the weather feature a few times on the Larapinta Trail last year. The problem I had with it is that it uses 6 hour intervals for weather from the time that you retrieve it and the minimum and maximums it lists are the min/max of these interval values not the actual min/max temperatures for the day so it is not totally useful. Upgrading to the paid weather service (which costs extra) seems to reduce the intervals only and does not address this problem.

It gives an idea of rain and wind as well - overall it is not perfect but it is something. The basic service just costs a message or two from memory.
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Gippsmick » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 7:31 pm

You can get topo maps on the unit and see them on any paired mobile device. You just have to download them in the maps settings when you log into your account on a PC and then sync the device. Topo maps for anywhere in the world. Very handy.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 3:02 pm

How are you and the Inreach getting along now Lamont? Have you had a chance to use it much more?
Are you using the GPS functionality of it much, or finding it more useful as a back-up to let people at home know you are okay?
I ask as I am considering making a purchase myself of either an SE or Explorer+.

I have a PLB, but as I am out on my own a lot, would ideally like to be able to send a 'made it to such and such ok' message', rather than my husband just relying on the fact that I haven't set off my PLB as confirmation of my well being which is our current (flawed) system. The Spot Messenger has failed to impress me when researching devices, I am happy to stand corrected on my impressions of it though/

I always have compass and paper topo of wherever I am as backup, but honestly I mostly refer to whatever mapping app I am using on my Samsung A5- typically Australian Topo Maps or OSMand... if they are working accurately. If a Garmin device could usefully add to my navigation in a user-friendly way, that would be a bonus. I am not overly tech savvy, so it really had to be dummy friendly.

It is a megabucks purchase, so I am just quizzing you -and any other users reading this- as I want to make sure that the purchase can add sufficient value to my current set up to justify the outlay.
Hope the thread hijacking is okay, just thought I would post on a recent relevant existing thread rather than starting a new one.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Tue 01 May, 2018 9:10 am

I also have a plb. But I have stopped carrying it in favour of the IR. Have never used it for directions map etc - OSM free plus topo paid so far on my S7 Gal. So far it is proving excellent. Sending messages from all the places I have wanted to. Anakie gorge under light tree cover even worked which is quite narrow- just took about a min to send. I send all the messages to my email as well and they have been precise. If I was going back of nowhere in gorges constantly for 5 days, then I would realistically take the IR plus the plb. I would take the weight penalty every time. Remember a detailed topo map is sent to any recipients phone and or email and they can reply from there. And everytime I have sent a message I have checked with my daughters to ensure they received it.So far it's use has been limited to Victoria. Yes the cost but I think I mentioned do your home work and be prepared to haggle and you might save 5-10% which I did.And very easy to use there is a dashboard at the Garmin website where you write your preset messages download an app via Garmin then sync to your device via a cable. Given my tech guru status-hmmm? I managed it easily.And every preset written here- you can have 3- are sent free unlimited. Then to create your own message counts against the 10 allowed/month
Anything else sing out
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Watertank » Tue 01 May, 2018 4:25 pm

Ms Mudd
I have the inreach - my son and I share it. If you can afford the cost then I highly recommend it. Used with the iPhone app it is easy to compose and send messages. It gives peace of mind to me when he is in remote areas and provides him and anyone he is with an excellent resource in case of emergency or less urgent issues. The ability to send and receive in both directions gives it a significant advantage over less sophisticated devices. Yes the subscription does add up but in my view it is worth it and when my credit card expired I was contacted by Pivotel - who have real people who answer the phone and handle the subscriptions in Australia- and reminded to update my details.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 04 May, 2018 7:51 am

Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 04 May, 2018 7:49 pm

Mini!!
I had no idea that it was even in development- not that I have my finger on the pulse of new tech developments :P
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 05 May, 2018 5:58 am

Using only Presets and/or the Earthmate app this says has all the functionality of the big model YOWZA! Check the discussion on BPL - user preview video and other useful stuff.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 29 Jun, 2018 7:28 pm

Sort of off topic but hilarious. Was browsing the garmin inreach site and found this absolutely awful photoshop fail.. :P

Check out the stove…
Complete with fake steam, a completely unbalanced precarious stove placement with the likely fall and spilling of boiling hot water onto the inreach and mobile phone, thereby ruining all chance for rescue. And the girl is not even looking as the hot steam bbqs her hands… :lol:

wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Singe » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 8:16 am

Lamont wrote:Garmin were all but useless when I spoke with them and took a week to tell me how to activate the unit which didn't work anyway. I found out myself with Senor GOOgle.

Having used Garmin's bike computers for years (they effectively had a monopoly on the GPS cyclocomputer market for ages), there's no way I'd trust my safety to one of their devices.

Just an awful company in so many ways.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 9:25 am

Just thought I would update my el cheapo plan "WEATHER BASIC". I have used this often since I bought my Inreach and it has been uncannily accurate at least for the 24 hour forecast-as accurate as the BOM/Willyweather -which it obviously uses-with service provided by "Dark SKY." It clearly is accessing the most proximal tower to me. Twice I have bailed on the forecast of 50-60% rain for the next morning and it was spot on-got packed up in the dry!
Have other uses found this or is it missing "your nearest tower" info do you reckon?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble