Mt Hyperion

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Hyperion

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 7:04 pm

Just browsing through the wonderful new edition of the Abels and I noticed the route described for Mt Hyperion is different to the one I and many others I know have used. The route known to me I have roughly drawn in red, the one described by Bill in the book is in blue.

Just wondering has anyone followed the Abels route up? I know of probably 20-30 people who have done this peak and all seem to go the way I went.

Interesting.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (91.52 KiB) Viewed 8313 times
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Hyperion

Postby north-north-west » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 7:43 pm

I think Tortoise and the group she was with did a bit of that route - joining it from the DuCane ridge side. Possibly naturelover as well. It is supposed to be a bit more direct and the scrambling is supposed to be easier.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 8:52 pm

I went the red way but I remember more vertical bits in there :P
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 7:14 am

north-north-west wrote:I think Tortoise and the group she was with did a bit of that route - joining it from the DuCane ridge side. Possibly naturelover as well. It is supposed to be a bit more direct and the scrambling is supposed to be easier.

Interesting. so hey have you done Hyperion?? I actually didn't find it too scary. Was in a good head space for that whole traverse!

What's your go to camp meal these days??

And hi btw....
Last edited by ILUVSWTAS on Mon 15 Jan, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 7:31 am

Yeah, hi, glad Christmas season is finally over.

Torty's OK though.
Pretty sure I've read a trip report on the forum - or maybe a linked blog post - that talks about going up Hyperion this way. Try the search function. ;)

Yeah, Did Hyperion as part of my DuCane traverse. Parthenon, Elysia, Walled, Macs, Hyperion, Eros, DuCane Range, Massif, Castle Crag. Good walk. And I went up the same way you did. There is one awkward spot (awkward for shortarses anyway) on that route. I left the camera behind at that point as I wasn't sure I'd be able to do the scramble with it and the wind was getting a bit awkward. And from the top I looked at the other sides and thought that there looked to be an easier line up to the north - in other words, along the route in the new Abels book.

Commercial stuff is mostly Strive or the cheaper supermarket options: dehy mash and peas, cous cous, noodles, stuff like that. Depends how long I'm going to be out. Single night I'll usually just take a bit of fresh stuff and some smoked salmon, cheese and crackers with cup-a-soup sachets for hot drinks if needed.
Although paddle camping one can take more fresh and canned food which is far better,
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tas Tom » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 7:58 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Just browsing through the wonderful new edition of the Abels and I noticed the route described for Mt Hyperion is different to the one I and many others I know have used. The route known to me I have roughly drawn in red, the one described by Bill in the book is in blue.

Just wondering has anyone followed the Abels route up? I know of probably 20-30 people who have done this peak and all seem to go the way I went.

Interesting.

I have been up Hyperion twice, both times using the route described in the new Abels Vol 1. The description given is pretty accurate and the key thing from my perspective was to make sure that on the lower slopes you traverse far enough round to the right to avoid the heavy scrub. From memory the description says something like '...traverse the pineapple grass beds....' - this definitely is the most scrub free way using this route. Once above the scrub none of the scrambling is difficult though, first time I went up, it did take a bit of looking around in a couple of places to find the correct route.
Less Work, More Walk
Tas Tom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 10:42 am

Hey ILUV, is that my Akto?!
I think Tortoise and the group she was with did a bit of that route - joining it from the DuCane ridge side. Possibly naturelover as well. It is supposed to be a bit more direct and the scrambling is supposed to be easier.

Yep, nnw is right. I went up the blue way, in the same party as Naturelover. She has a photo that shows the last bit of the ascent from what I would have called the NW rather than the N. But I wasn't thinking about that at the time. Visibility was low most of the time, which probably worked in my favour. :) There were a couple of bits where I think I took up the offer of a hoik from a mountain leaper above me. Not a good place to slip, even though I understand it's an easier route than the traditional one. http://www.natureloverswalks.com/hyperion/

Tas Tom wrote:I have been up Hyperion twice, both times using the route described in the new Abels Vol 1. The description given is pretty accurate and the key thing from my perspective was to make sure that on the lower slopes you traverse far enough round to the right to avoid the heavy scrub. From memory the description says something like '...traverse the pineapple grass beds....' - this definitely is the most scrub free way using this route. Once above the scrub none of the scrambling is difficult though, first time I went up, it did take a bit of looking around in a couple of places to find the correct route.

+1
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 11:10 am

Haha hey Tortie! Yep if you still have my old tent then that's the same one!! Must mean the green machine has now done 2 eldon traverses.....

That's very good to know about Hyperion. I didn't find it too bad but next time i'm in the area I might check out the NW approach just for something different. The fellow from the forum I was with on the Ducanes was a very calming influence and very mindful to make sure everyone got up ok. It was very reassuring which made that peak and Geryon seem quite straight forward.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:20 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Haha hey Tortie! Yep if you still have my old tent then that's the same one!! Must mean the green machine has now done 2 eldon traverses.....

Yep, I still have the green machine, but I confess I also have a Scarp 1 now - which is the one that went through the Eldons. Every gram counted on that trip! Here's the weather to do the Eldons in :D :
DSC03772.jpg

That's very good to know about Hyperion. I didn't find it too bad but next time i'm in the area I might check out the NW approach just for something different.

Here's a pic near the top of the scramble:
Version 2.jpg

The fellow from the forum I was with on the Ducanes was a very calming influence and very mindful to make sure everyone got up ok. It was very reassuring which made that peak and Geryon seem quite straight forward.

Does he take Tortoises up Geryon??!! After Federation (which I still may or may not get to do), that's up there on my bucket list.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:35 pm

Here's a pic from our first night on Eldon peak....

That wall on Hyperion doesn't look much easier than the route we went up!!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (66.24 KiB) Viewed 8156 times
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 1:02 pm

Scarps must bring the good weather to Eldon Peak !!

Mine has been to Hyperion too haha ...
Attachments
1979240_657652437614299_881611478_o.jpg
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 2:52 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:That wall on Hyperion doesn't look much easier than the route we went up!!

iirc, there were plenty of holds. Just a couple of times, it would have been really nice to have normal length limbs to reach the next good one. But then again, flexibility is sometimes a greater advantage, and my physio is very impressed with mine. :)

Re weather: yes, I do recall from your trip report that your experience was, well, a bit different from mine - which was perfect for camping on Eldon Peak, perfect for camping on Eldon Bluff, perfect everywhere in between, and before and after. Mind you, the perfect forecast did help in the final decision to try punching above my weight.

It's interesting to hear people's assessments of how hard a walk is. My theory is that so much depends on the weather. In spite of the challenges (and helped by the willingness of the leader to do extra scrub bashing because when I went first we went too slowly), I wouldn't rate the Eldons as my hardest trip, even though on paper it probably should be.
stepbystep wrote:Scarps must bring the good weather to Eldon Peak !!
:D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 10:34 am

stepbystep wrote:Scarps must bring the good weather to Eldon Peak !!

:x
Mine didn't.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania