Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

Postby Lotsafreshair » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 8:29 am

I walked the first half of this trail in 2009, (starting at Pol Blue instead of Corker) to Bucketts Way and am thinking about doing the 2nd half, Craven to Hawks Nest Surf Club. I understand that the track is unmanaged and has been for a long time, so I'm going to chat with Parks / Land Mgrs etc blah blah blah, but does anyone have any first hand experience of this section in the last 5 years?
Thanks! :D
-------------------------------
Blog: lotsafreshair.com
Tips and tricks from an unexpected outdoors chick
Lotsafreshair
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: SES Bush Search & Rescue, Macpac
Region: New South Wales

Re: Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

Postby Rileyr » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 4:19 pm

I heard that there is a guy who is affiliated with (i think) the Hawks Nest surf life saving club that knows about the trail. Might be worth trying them. Thats all I know sorry

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby awildland » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 7:29 pm

I have the original trail booklet at work and can scan and send it to you if you want. Have driven sections of the walk from Craven across towards Buladelah (through The Glen Nature Reserve) last year. Will have a look at the original trail route tomorrow and let you know if I can be more precise.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tyggriffic » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 1:39 pm

I've been researching this walk myself. Both forestry and np have informed me they are unsure of the track as it is not managed by either forestry nsw or npws anymore. We were planning a walk/camp in wang wauk soon so will see what that section of the track is like. I have a feeling there was a section through private property as well that led to the track not being managed, unsure wether this was resolved. I have some old maps of the barrington side that show the walk, will see if i can find anymore. ( tthis is why i LOVE old maps)
tyggriffic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 9:11 pm

The book 'Tops to Myall's Heritage Trail' is ISBN 0 959 0026 3 4. Printed by Norman Morriss Printers. Originally available from Lions Club of Tea Gardens, c/o PO, Tea Gardens 2324
Possibly available from Envirobooks, TWS, NPWs, Local go't Tourist offices, esp Tea Gardens.
The walk was opened 20/Sep/1993 by Chris Hartcher, MP et al. One assumes 'they' subsequently lost interest in it, once they had had their photo op.
At the least, State Library should have a copy.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 6:05 am

rcaffin wrote:The book 'Tops to Myall's Heritage Trail' is ISBN 0 959 0026 3 4.

Trove (as in treasure trove) is the source of where a book is kept in Australian libraries.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/24157132? ... d=29195686

This book is at 6 libraries.
National Library of Australia.
Newcastle Region Library.
Northern Beaches Library Service. Dee Why Library.
State Library of NSW.
State Library Victoria.
Tenterfield Public Library.

You may find your local council library can do an inter-library loan.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tyggriffic » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 4:00 pm

I know shorty's camp is well overgrown and can't really be used without doing some pretty decent clearing, (http://www.john.chapman.name/nsw-tops.html) this was one of the better online sources i found, yet still states best to refer to that book, which any info is going to be considerably out of date. There is an alternative to shorty's camp slightly further W as you come through Wang Wauk SF that i have found, but as it's state forest, camping is permitted anywhere you choose anyway. Both forestry and NPWS couldnt give me any more information other than it is not maintained and "pretty sure it's overgrown in some sections".
tyggriffic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kjbeath » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 6:27 pm

rcaffin wrote:The book 'Tops to Myall's Heritage Trail' is ISBN 0 959 0026 3 4. Printed by Norman Morriss Printers. Originally available from Lions Club of Tea Gardens, c/o PO, Tea Gardens 2324
Possibly available from Envirobooks, TWS, NPWs, Local go't Tourist offices, esp Tea Gardens.
The walk was opened 20/Sep/1993 by Chris Hartcher, MP et al. One assumes 'they' subsequently lost interest in it, once they had had their photo op.

I have a copy for anyone interested.

The main person pushing the walk was Hans Pacy, so when he died there was less motivation. There may be problems with change in land ownership, and I remember a problem due to the building of a high speed 2 lanes each way highway across the track. The NPA did run trips using vehicles for moving packs for a few years.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dougy_101 » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:31 pm

thanks for all the info. Might keep this in mind after I have had a look at the book.
Dougy_101
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 11:07 am

I walked the Mungo Walking Track (well from Pipers Creek to Brambles Green and back anyway) this past week and saw the Tops to Myall trail markers along the way- piqued my interest in this trail again.
I have walked the first three tracks/suggested camp spots for the Tops to Myall Heritage Trail many, many times as they are in my 'hood, and now have walked this last section at the opposite end. Has anyone who was posting their questions here given it a crack at all or done any recon missions since posting?

Seems such a shame that the interest in the route diminished with the passing of it's driving force. I think in Winter particularly it would be pretty amazing to start out in the snow, looking at the beach in the distance from Carey's Peak (a short detour of the Tops to Myall route) and then to walk yourself physically to the ocean.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:14 pm

Give it a whirl/walk.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 2:46 pm

Neo wrote:Give it a whirl/walk.

Thanks Neo, I needed a bit of a prompt, rather than taking the easy way out an capitalising on others' efforts . I should just aim to walk on from the sections I know well and just turn back when/if I can't press on.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 3:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I have the book at home. It was more of a pamphlet.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 9:35 pm

Kanangra, did you happen to have the pamphlet after all? Will PM you

Edited to add: I just found that you are able to order a PDF copy of the 48 page guide from the National Library service, Copies Direct. I have just requested it and the total was $16.50.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 10:58 pm

I've got a copy of the pamphlet- picked it up at the Canberra Lifeline Booksale of all places. Was there something you were looking for in it?
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 12:20 pm

That is a funny place to find it- I wonder if it could have been left there by the author of this blog who walked it in 2006 who resides in Canberra? It seems from reading her account of the walk she probably would have liked to light her copy on fire and leave it on the door step of the Lions Club who were involved in it's publication :lol:
http://shewhohesitatesislost.blogspot.c ... trail.html

Back to your question though :wink: I just wanted a copy to utilise along with the relevant topos to see if I can walk it as far as possible on each end or work out some reasonable alternatives for the sections that are overgrown and/or on private property
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 6:59 pm

I have now ticked off the first three days and the final two days of the Tops to Myall Heritage Trail- overnighted on the Hawks Nest end last night, cracking good weather. The middle section is quite the head scratcher with changes of land ownership/useage and further on the Pacific Hwy cutting right across- I can't quite yet work out a solid plan, but when the weather warms up, will head out and resume the magical mystery tour.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Meredith Quinlan » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

Have you seen this website yet? So the test walker has followed the Myall to tops apparently, and you can check it out on the GPX file they provide.
http://federationtrack.com.au/track/north/#prettyPhoto
I have ordered the PDF of the pamphlet so will see how they cross check.

Meredith.
Meredith Quinlan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 9:26 pm

I am a bit slow to reply, my apologies.

I did end up buying the PDF. How did you go with piecing the two together? I still haven't filled in 'the middle section' of the walk, despite thinking I would get to it by now- I will aim to sometime this year
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Meredith Quinlan » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 5:42 pm

So I have Compared the original PDF pamphlet with Bill Avery's Federation Track route, then done 3 or 4 reccies including the Full track a week ago and the new improved route is on the link below. I liased with Bill Avery as I had to come up with some small diversions to avoid private land and overgrown tracks and getting over the Highway. The test run of it proved excellent. Its back! Let me know if you need any more info or have some suggestions - sounds like others have been out there up to the same thing as me. It has also been uploaded onto the FKT website (fastestknowntime.com). I don't have much info re the state of the camp sites however but am sure others on this forum will.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31340894
Meredith Quinlan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 21 Jun, 2020 5:10 pm

Nice one with the mapping! I was in the Buladelah area yesterday and did some exploring, forgot cash for Bombah the ferry though :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Outdoor therapy » Tue 23 Jun, 2020 10:43 am

Awesome job on the mapping out of this track. Me and a mate have been looking at trying to resurrect this track recently and mapping out on a gps topo where the track goes and the campsites etc from the Lions club booklet. We had done the first 5 or 6 days. You have just saved us a heap of work. How was the water situation on the track? Many spots to collect water from creeks etc? How many days did it take you to ride the track?
Sorry for all the questions, there’s just not a a lot of info on this track as I’m sure you are well aware.
Outdoor therapy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Outdoor therapy » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for that info about the alternative campsite. If you could private msg me the coordinates that would be awesome.
Outdoor therapy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GregG » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 5:56 pm

So, Ms Mudd, what is required for the Bombah ferry, cash or card?
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby GregG » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 6:01 pm

Sorry, disregard my previous, dumb question, you said cash so no cards accepted obviously.
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 8:04 pm

GregG wrote:Sorry, disregard my previous, dumb question, you said cash so no cards accepted obviously.

Ha ha no worries. I thought I had more spare change on me than I did last weekend and it was a bit early for the kiosk at the Myall Shores campground to be open. We were only tripping around, so were not too fussed about not getting across on the ferry. Funnily enough, we were on the OTHER side of the ferry yesterday, went for a pushybike ride and picnic lunch on the Old Gibber Trail out to Johnsons. Although I visit the Myall Lakes NP area reasonably regularly, twice in one week has to be some kind of record for me :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franky » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 9:41 am

Hi all,

I have just come across this platform and I'm so stoked to have found this and likeminded folks! :)

Me and 3 friends are intending to walk the "Tops to Myall Heritage Trail" and I was wondering if anyone here would be happy to share the book with me by any chance?

Thank you very much and have a cracker of a day everyone! :)
Franky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: N/A

Postby Outdoor therapy » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 11:08 am

[quote="Franky"]Hi all,

I have just come across this platform and I'm so stoked to have found this and likeminded folks! :)

Me and 3 friends are intending to walk the "Tops to Myall Heritage Trail" and I was wondering if anyone here would be happy to share the book with me by any chance?

Thank you very much and have a cracker of a day everyone! :)[
Hi Franky. If you send me your email address I can send you a pdf of the booklet that I had copied and sent to me by the state library.
Outdoor therapy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Outdoor therapy » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 6:05 pm

Franky wrote:Hi all,

Thank you very much and have a cracker of a day everyone! :)

Hi Franky I have emailed you the pdf copy of the booklet and also the gps file that the previous person that completed it put up. Apparently the track can also be found in Lyn and John Daley’s book “Take A Hike In NSW” so I have heard.
Outdoor therapy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 10:23 am

Hi,
Does anyone have recent information about campsites along this trail. I have read the Pacy booklet so I would be interested in the current state of the campsites suggested there.
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT