Marmot Hydrogen / Helium sleeping bag 800 fill

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Marmot Hydrogen / Helium sleeping bag 800 fill

Postby emma_melbourne » Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:19 pm

Does anyone have one of the Marmot Hydrogen or Helium bags?

I am tempted by the latest Massdrop to get one.

I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 quilt but I'd like to get a bag for my wee daughter that doesn't enable her to kick it open and create a draft.

I'd normally get 2 - one left hand and one right hand zip, so they could zip together, but the drop only has the left side zipper version.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Marmot Hydrogen / Helium sleeping bag 800 fill

Postby Lamont » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 9:01 am

Hi, 30D liner material-a bit sweaty perhaps? Sorry that's all I can think, no dimensions given either. I buy a few things from MD and sometimes worry which model I am getting. For example the EE quilt they had last was not the one you would get from them directly. Good luck.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby RonK » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 5:16 pm

That is an excellent price Emma. I just checked my Helium and it is also left-hand zip.

Big surprise is I still have the price tag and it cost $929 when I bought it.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby emma_melbourne » Fri 19 Jan, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback Lamont and RonK. I seriously deliberated on it, but ended up going with an Enlightened Equipment Protege 30F while she's little. (As it's super small and lightweight, and I can even put it in her backpack - by way of context she's 2.) And if it's super cold, I have the Revelation 20F in an Extra Wide so I can wrap it round her too. You might think why don't I do that anyway - but she's a little kicker at night.

If they had of had the left and right zip I would have got a pair of the Marmot hydrogen bags so I could zip them together, but alas they didn't. I'd be tempted for when she's older though. Massdrop has some great deals on ultralight stuff. I'm now hanging out for a Helinox Zero chair.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:04 pm

Hey Emma, my youngest daughter was a little kickboxer when she was little! Ha Ha. Zero yes, me too if a good price is offered. I have the Alite monarch tho' which is only wee bit bigger and heavier and sooooo comfy! I put it crossways in my Exos 38 (for size reference) on the very bottom under my mat and tent. I rock on that thing and when you put your feet up it is even more comfy.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes the Alite Monarch looks great too. I have a cheap Naturehike chair which is similar to the Helinox Chair One but it's a bit heavy these days at 900 grams. (Compared to Zero at 510 grams) Fine for short hike-ins, car camping etc though.

I got my little one the Helinox Chair Mini added to an order for a tent from Campsaver, as it's on sale, and also I'm not paying additional shipping due to the other item on the order already. That's going to be her 2 year old birthday present in February. Both that and the Protege will only last her to about 5 or 6, but that's ok - it's still 3 or 4 years use. And I can sell them second-hand back on here I'm sure to someone who has a little one in that time.

Very impressed @Lamont that you can manage to fit the chair and your other stuff into just an Exos 38 pack. You must have a very good dialled-in set-up! My pack is a Berghaus Wilderness 60+15 and it's still a mission to get everything in it for me and toddler. I'm training her to have her own wee pack, but she's not 2 year so I'm not having her carry much weight clearly!
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi, go the monarch if you have the cash, it is much, much smaller and lighter than the Naturehike chair you mention -I know, I have it too! The monarch is also, believe it or not, far more comfortable than the 4 legged chair. You can easily recline, man you can lean back and literally rock! My monarch is exactly 525grams without the stuffsack (just weighed it) and 31cms long, but not a tube as such. In parts of it's length it is very narrow (like 2 pool cues thick) and some a tad thicker (like maybe 3 pool cues-mispent youth). I have the EE Rev -7C on top plus a Big Sky Rev 1 person. Thermarest trekker wide torso etc. I don't know if you do this, but think about storing your quilt loose-it fills all the nooks and crannies, it is a much better way to get it too loft as well. I also use 2 Nylofume bags one inside the other to put my clothes quilt etc, not tent and food.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Freewalker68 » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi everyone, I have a Marmot Hydrogen which I am enjoying. I have done one cool night sleep in it and used the hood. Extremely warm and I basically unzipped the bag to my knees from the bottom. What lighter bags are there? As a four season Tasmanian bag. Thanks
Freewalker68
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Ultralight backpacking