Dry sections? Where drinkable water is scarce(r) on the OLT?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Dry sections? Where drinkable water is scarce(r) on the OLT?

Postby headwerkn » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 10:56 am

Hi all,

Hopefully a simple question. Which sections of the Overland Track, in dry weather like what we're experiencing at present, do you want to be sure you've adequate water with you BEFORE entering?

Long story short - I'm doing the Cradle Run next weekend and am currently finalising a GPS course for my watch with useful waypoints like hut locations, track intersections and other major features. Reliable water sources would be very useful too, any more than 1.5L-2L is quite a burden on a runner and it warms up very quickly on you too, becoming less than enjoyable to drink.

On a reccy run up to Narcissus the previous weekend revealed no lack of suitable sources literally every kilometer or two, so instead of trying to plot every water point for 80km, I'm thinking instead it would make more sense to identify areas where you're more than, say, 3-5km between suitable fill points?

I have my own data for New Pelion - Pelion Gap and obviously Narcissus through to the end, but the rest of the track I've never been on before, so any ideas/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If the current weather continues through to next weekend it's likely we'll have another scorcher, which makes water management rather critical for a race like this. Hot runs in previous years have done a great job of DNFing a significant part of the field.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Dry sections? Where drinkable water is scarce(r) on the

Postby bobcrusader » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 5:05 pm

Hey Ben, I just got back yesterday. From Wombat Pool to Plateau Ck (about 1km before Kitchen Hut) there is not much, so take enough to get up to Marion’s Lookout and beyond. Then there is little until Waterfall Valley. I don’t remember seeing much water between Waterfall and Windermere on the track (plenty in Lake Will, though!). Windermere to Pelion was fine - it was 29C for us and we all drink around 6L that day! There is only one spot to get water after the Mt Ossa side track until Kio Ora - it’s at a large creek with a good wooden bridge over it so do not miss it. After that, there was no shortage of water. Good luck!
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby headwerkn » Wed 24 Jan, 2018 9:47 pm

Awesome, thanks so much for the info! With any luck we'll get another decent bit of rain before next weekend.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 9:32 am

Don't use water draining directly from Pelion Gap without treatment.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby headwerkn » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 1:26 pm

Yeah, I know that one ;-) That was probably the driest section too, down to Kia Ora and past Du Cane hut. Managed just fine with using 2x500ml bottles the entire run, topping up every 8-10km or so. Got a little warm towards the end of the afternoon, otherwise pretty much perfect conditions for a gentle 80km trot ;-)
headwerkn

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain