Yamahra Creek bush camp site

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Yamahra Creek bush camp site

Postby Cabel21 » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi Guys n Gals,

Heading out on what might turn out to be a hot weekend!

Looking for any advice/experience on Yamahra Creek bush camp site and the hike in from Cleared Ridge Parking Area, will start the hike super early at day break, mostly worried about how much water per person and if any will be running in the creek? Have 3ltr and 2ltr water bladders and life straw bottles (but won't take if no creek water), 10kg pack for myself and 7kg for the wife, medium fitness but first time overnight in years hiking for my self and first time for the wife, did a test walk with overloaded packs in Mt Cootha for 2.5kms and pulled up fine after some good steep stuff.

Bit nervous but well prepared :P

Cheers in Advance!
Cabel21
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Yamahra Creek bush camp site

Postby ofuros » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 12:50 am

Should be topped up after the last couple of days of rain...and the camp itself is only a hop, skip & a jump from the Mt Barney Creek.

The walk in from Cleared Ridge car park is along a flat ridge, down a short steep section to Yamahra Ck crossing with Graces Hut in the distance, then down the valley over a couple of smaller feeder ck crossings to the camp site.
About 4kms all up.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 7:29 pm

If you park up on cleared ridge (4WD recommended) it’s a pretty short and easy walk to camp along the creek, basically as ofuros described. There’ll be plenty of water.

Worthwhile making a detour up the ridge east or west from the upper portals for great Barney views (you’ll need to take water with you on either excursion)
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cabel21 » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 7:48 pm

Ah thanks guys! figured as much but better to ask :P
Have a Jimny so most roads shouldn't be a problem.
Cabel21
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby natashajayne » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi Cabel21!

The walk in from Cleared Ridge Parking area is an extremely enjoyable walk. Fantastic views. The only challenging section is the first 1km but on the way it is downhill. On your return journey you will have to walk uphill for about 1km to regain the ridge but it's very doable.

I would add that the first time that I visited the upper portals, I struggled finding the iconic swimming area. Once you get to Yamahra Creek bush camp, you are pretty much on the creek but the good swimming holes are about another 500m downstream. I recommend crossing the creek where you can follow a small but relatively obvious trail down stream. The track will lead away from the scrub and towards the creek again when you get to the bigger boulders. At this point, cross the creek again (you should now be on the lefthand side walking downstream) and go up and around the portals. Don't try and cut down towards the water too early. Wait until you find a series of rocks that form a staircase back down to the creek. You will then come out at the best swimming areas. Definitely worth the 20 - 30 minute wander from the campsite.

I only point this out as it was not obvious to me the first time I visited the upper portals and I was there only a few weeks ago and a fire has passed through the area which makes the track near the waterholes a little more difficult to navigate. Still relatively obvious though.
natashajayne
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Cabel21 » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks natashajayne! Just the type of insight I needed! Super excited! Will try to post a few pics!
Cabel21
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Cabel21 » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 5:12 pm

Was a lovely hike! Thanks for the help!
Cabel21
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland