The solution for good coffee drinkers

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: The solution for good coffee drinkers

Postby Orion » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 2:08 am

Lamont wrote:Each pot uses about 4-5 gms and makes 50 mls coffee, 2 short blacks.

That's not enough coffee for a single short black. Moka pots make coffee quite a bit weaker than espresso, a lot closer to a long black than a short one.

At 130g that's lighter than an Aeropress (175g). You do have to reload multiple times to get the same amount of coffee but not a bad option.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ribuck » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 7:24 am

crollsurf wrote:... save weight by not packing powdered milk.

Sorry crollsurf, it doesn't work like that. The powdered milk is part of the calories that you carry, and if you don't take food in the form of powdered milk then you need to take more dehy or scroggin or something else. So there's no weight saving :(
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 6:38 pm

Senor crollsurf -
5.30 am coffee with a dash of milk (or as much milk as you like!), 9.30-10 short black with snack, 3.30-4 short black with snack, evening probably not?
Forces you to stop and have a wee rest. There is nothing like finding a sweet spot,(hence the half hour window ,ha ha ) firing up the burner and 2 (yes, it boils in 2 minutes) minnies later you are sucking down a nice short black, if you find it a bit strong, a dash of powder milk will help (or use slightly less coffee). The best accompaniment --you guessed it --a wee snickers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby crollsurf » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm thinking breakfast coffee for sure and maybe lunch. Not as keen as you Lamont. I normally take Jeds coffee bags but can hardly wait to give the Moka a go seeing as I have a grinder at home.
ribuck wrote:Sorry crollsurf, it doesn't work like that. The powdered milk is part of the calories that you carry, and if you don't take food in the form of powdered milk then you need to take more dehy or scroggin or something else. So there's no weight saving :(

That's right but I haven't been seeing it that way until you pointed it out. I've been missing my hot chocolate milk at night for no reason at all! Well not any more. Thanks ribuck.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 3:46 pm

Coffee this morning. 100g canister for scale.
Attachments
D94860DC-3ADC-4A5D-B055-0F46F378E055.jpeg
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 7:03 pm

Just got my Moka 1 and gave it a test run. Mine is the smallest in that link Lamont provided and weighs 157g. Sits comfortably on a BRS3000 stove. Makes a really strong, excellent tasting 1/2 cup of coffee. You could water it down and still have a decent strength mugs worth if you wanted. One of the heavier but maybe the best option for coffee lovers. I'm not a coffee addict but I think I'll take this most places from now.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 7:23 pm

Must be some variability as it is a knock off of the Bialetti et al.
If the handle bugs you knock the pin out and carry a paper clip to thread through when you want to attach the handle.
Buon cafe!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 8:29 pm

Bought a Minipresso - good creama, but tiny shots, even with large reservoir, relatively heavy and a PITA to use; disappointed ; previously used plunger, but I'm back to "cowboy" coffee - chuck grounds in billy of boiling water, let sit for a while, tap billy to assist grounds to precipitate, decant coffee. No creama, but works like coffee should.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 4:01 am

Is that thing 363 grams and 250 mms long? The coffee looks nice though. Bit of a production to make. Don't know if I could go the boiled coffee route. I think I'd rather drink a good cup of English breakfast tea than that. Jam more coffee in the Moka 1 and you can get some crema.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 6:49 am

You can't make crema with a little moka pot. Maybe some foam. I would think that little pot would be kind of a tease as it makes just a half shot. To get my morning fix I'd have to reload and clean it four times.

Boiling works well at altitude. Certainly 2000m results in a good brew temperature.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 11:20 am

andrewa wrote:Bought a Minipresso - good creama, but tiny shots, even with large reservoir, relatively heavy and a PITA to use; disappointed ; previously used plunger, but I'm back to "cowboy" coffee - chuck grounds in billy of boiling water, let sit for a while, tap billy to assist grounds to precipitate, decant coffee. No creama, but works like coffee should.

We have the Minipresso NS which takes Nespresso pods. We use refillable pods that we just carry out and clean for reuse so we don't need to worry about dealing with coffee grounds out in the field. I agree it is heavy and the shots are not huge but we are quite happy with the results we get - we use a fairly strong coffee blend so a little goes a long way.

Question for the Bialetti style users - has anyone tried one of these?

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/152936299702? ... dispItem=1
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 11:45 am

That's just another tiny 1-cup moka pot, one without an upper collection chamber. You'd think it might weigh less than the one Lamont has but I wouldn't count on that. I had the GSI brand version of that thing years ago but ruined it through inattention. Basically I forgot about it and it burned up on the stove.

I like moka pots. They're old school and kind of funky but can make good coffee if handled well. An uber-light one that isn't teeny-tiny is possible, I think. The pressures aren't that great when used correctly. But the safety aspect is why they tend to be heavier. Just like our fuel canisters. They're heavier than necessary for the vast majority of circumstances.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 11:54 am

G'day Matagi, I looked at them as I thought I could disassemble the spigotty thing on top and make it more packable but from memory you can't and it's heavier. If you find one as small as the one I showed in the pic above and the thingy can be unscrewed and it weighs around the 140 gm mark get back to me would you please. I wouldn't mind one. The Bialettis are heavier than the no brand ones plus the one you linked looks like stainless which makes it mucho heavy. Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm pretty sure it's aluminum.

The walls are thick as a safety margin on the Bialetti pots. Most people use them at home where that's more important than weight.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 1:46 pm

The stainless versions are more or less the same weight as the aluminium ones as the stainless ones are made out of formed sheet and are reasonably thin (around 1mm) with the aluminium being cast and is much thicker (around 3mm)
I have both the stainless 3 cup and aluminium 3 cup moka pots and always use the 273gm stainless one which gives 150ml of coffee which is just the right amount for making a cappucino to my liking.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 3:19 pm

Lamont wrote:G'day Matagi, I looked at them as I thought I could disassemble the spigotty thing on top and make it more packable but from memory you can't and it's heavier. If you find one as small as the one I showed in the pic above and the thingy can be unscrewed and it weighs around the 140 gm mark get back to me would you please. I wouldn't mind one. The Bialettis are heavier than the no brand ones plus the one you linked looks like stainless which makes it mucho heavy. Cheers.

I have an aluminium one, best I can do is 207 grams and the spout thingy is pressed in, so no unscrewing is possible.

Hmm, could be a potential market there.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Orion » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 3:29 pm

MeanderingFlyFisher wrote:The stainless versions are more or less the same weight as the aluminium ones as the stainless ones are made out of formed sheet and are reasonably thin (around 1mm) with the aluminium being cast and is much thicker (around 3mm)

Interesting. I always assumed the stainless models were heavier. I just gave mine a weigh. The stainless is 410g and the aluminum 360g. They're both 3-cup pots but from different manufacturers.

MeanderingFlyFisher wrote:I have both the stainless 3 cup and aluminium 3 cup moka pots and always use the 273gm stainless one which gives 150ml of coffee which is just the right amount for making a cappucino to my liking.

I like the 3-cup size as well. I also have a 2-cup "Brikka". It uses the same amount of grounds as a 3-cup pot but less water. It makes coffee that's about three times as concentrated and to my taste both smoother and sweeter. It also has a little gizmo for making some extra foam. But it weighs about 450g so it doesn't go walking with me, at least not so far.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the weight and the thingy/spout Matagi.
Now if you can make a detachable thingy/spout and get that lower pot lighter I'll take one! Yep, a market for some desperados I agree!
Used mine again this morning and gave the link to another bushwalker.
My real Bialetti doesn't look bigger but weighs another 40 grams over the NO name version.
Ah, sitting in the bush sipping a coffee, majestical.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GeoffM » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 6:13 am

Mutley wrote:Last week I was told about a Swiss one cup reusable coffee filtration system. It consists of a water reservoir and a gold gauze filter, which sits atop a mug. About two spoons of coffee is placed on top of the gauze filter, then the water reservoir is placed above the coffee and filled with boiling water. Two minutes later..presto. A REALLY GOOD cup of coffee. The unit is simply rinsed out and reused.

The best bit is, it weighs under 90 grams.

Brings back memories! I have two of these somewhere. One green, one black. Once upon a time they were added as bonus offers on tins of ground coffee. Long since consigned to the storage cupboard as the Italian espresso stove top went into the car/camper kitchen box and a plunger fitting on the Jetboil sufficed when walking.....but......wonder where they are?

Worth me searching them out again. Thanks for refreshing the memory.
GeoffM
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Singe » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 2:15 pm

Coffeesnobs is the only other forum I have in Tapatalk; home kit is an ECM Synchronika, ECM V-Titan, Kony-E, Comandante, trinity-1 and more toys and tools than you can shake a portafilter at. All of which tells you not much (it's more than possible to make crap coffee with good gear) except that I do take my coffee pretty seriously.

I used to cart an Aeropress with me everywhere but I've been very happy with the GSI drip filter. The killer for me is my grinder - a porlex mini. Probably weighs more than the rest of my kitchen combined!
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

The solution for good coffee drinkers

Postby RonK » Wed 29 Jan, 2020 9:01 am

Time to revive this thread once again.

How simple is this? Pipamoka - could it be the ultimate hiking coffee maker?
https://www.wacaco.com/pages/pipamoka
RonK

Postby Lamont » Thu 30 Jan, 2020 5:14 pm

RonK wrote:Time to revive this thread once again.

Wow Ron, the weight is comparable to the weight of my rucksack-it's a monster, but if it tickles your fancy why not?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RonK » Fri 31 Jan, 2020 6:31 am

Lamont wrote:
RonK wrote:Time to revive this thread once again.

Wow Ron, the weight is comparable to the weight of my rucksack-it's a monster, but if it tickles your fancy why not?

Your rucksack weighs 425gm?
RonK

Postby Lamont » Fri 31 Jan, 2020 7:58 am

About 530 from memory.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 05 Sep, 2020 10:11 am

I am with Singe and reckon my grinder weighs me down, it does fit snugly inside my aeropress though.
Think I am going to give the GSI drip filter a go though- 11g for pour over coffee, what is not to love?! Less fiddly for sure too. I like that it will fit neatly under my gas canister too, I like things to fit neatly. I may even get really footloose and fancy free and ditch the grinder altogether, just taking pre-ground coffee with me- oh the horror!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 05 Sep, 2020 1:13 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I am with Singe and reckon my grinder weighs me down, it does fit snugly inside my aeropress though.
Think I am going to give the GSI drip filter a go though- 11g for pour over coffee, what is not to love?! Less fiddly for sure too. I like that it will fit neatly under my gas canister too, I like things to fit neatly. I may even get really footloose and fancy free and ditch the grinder altogether, just taking pre-ground coffee with me- oh the horror!

If you are going to pour water over coffee grounds (whaattt- coffee flavoured water?) you may as well give it all the flick Muddy-you know you want to :lol: and go....... a nice cuppa tea. :D Aldo's finest Earl Grey -that's nice
I am a bit disappointed though I must say, that you are going all Ultralight and thinking of space and weight. :shock: :lol:
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 05 Sep, 2020 1:43 pm

Lamont wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:I am with Singe and reckon my grinder weighs me down, it does fit snugly inside my aeropress though.

If you are going to pour water over coffee grounds (whaattt- coffee flavoured water?) you may as well give it all the flick Muddy-you know you want to :lol: and go....... a nice cuppa tea. :D Aldo's finest Earl Grey -that's nice
I am a bit disappointed though I must say, that you are going all Ultralight and thinking of space and weight. :shock: :lol:

It is a fair observation. I am proposing an outrageous and improper use of the magical coffee bean.

This outs me as the tragically addicted soul that I am, but the last two overnights I haven't had the room or inclination to take the Aeropress. Instead I have packed sugar free Avalanche coffee/milk sachets that you can get at Coles. As I drink this so-called "coffee" , I swallow a No-Doz caffeine tablet with it. If I don't have proper coffee, I get a FILTHY headache.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 05 Sep, 2020 1:59 pm

I’m waiting on a Minipresso NS to arrive. This is the hand-pump system that takes capsules.
Takes away the whole issue of grinding plus I think that the coffee will stay fresh in the capsule.

As a plus, the pods that I buy are biodegradable so I can take them home and put them in the compost.

I’ll drop a review on here when I’ve used it in anger.
ChrisJHC

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 05 Sep, 2020 2:17 pm

Please do, ChrisJHC.
I love talking gear and coffee related gear is the best kind of gear to talk about.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Sat 05 Sep, 2020 3:12 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:I’m waiting on a Minipresso NS to arrive. This is the hand-pump system that takes capsules.
Takes away the whole issue of grinding plus I think that the coffee will stay fresh in the capsule.

As a plus, the pods that I buy are biodegradable so I can take them home and put them in the compost.

I’ll drop a review on here when I’ve used it in anger.

Our Minipresso NS failed after less than 2 years of intermittent use and the response from Wacaco was disappointing to say the least. Given that their only solution to our problem was to buy a new one, we pulled it apart and found plastic shavings where the plunger was clearly binding against the barrel. We are now back to our old Bialetti and just deal with the coffee grounds, which go in our rubbish bag.

I will be interested to see how you go. While it worked, it was great although quite heavy (relatively speaking) at 360g. The Bialetti weighs in at 273g by comparison.

Are you interested in some reusable pods? We bought some for the now dead Minipresso NS and they are of no use to us since we don't use coffee pods at home.
matagi

PreviousNext

Return to Bush Tucker