Windshirts Arktis via eBay

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Windshirts Arktis via eBay

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 2:43 pm

I needed a new windshirt because I am beginning to find my Montane to be too warm when I am powering along and wearing a fleece.
I have been looking for something along the lines of the original Patagonia Houdini with a medium level of air permeability rather than the almost airtight of what I have.
The cheapest I have found are Arktis from the UK but only via eBay USA. However I have found that the price is reasonable compared to Patagonia, OR and DeadBird so I have just ordered one

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XXLarge-Ark ... 1438.l2649

The deep zipper looks to be a good match for the Patagonia Ninja top as does the attached hood.
I wasn't sure of the fit and sizing, even after asking a few questions so I have an XL and an XXL coming. I will trial the garment and leave a review after they get here.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Windshirts Arktis via eBay

Postby Lamont » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 4:41 pm

This has got me thinking of "Nisely, Natick and active waterproof" which I believe you have been following as well!. 300mm HH and was it 30CFM?
I like the look and idea of this. My Fauxdini as you know which is no where big enough, for a bigger person is almost perfect as active waterproof-ha except for the waterproof part-only repels light rain but so breathable. I would love to know if any air will pass thru' this baby. It sounds like it may have the tactical/miltary context in mind-active waterproof!
I walked the surfcoast this morning in the Faux -thunder, lightning, bit of rain for an hour and bone dry underneath-no rain thru' and just a wee bit of sweat on the inside of the jacket-but my skin and shirt was dry. Very high humidity and warm bit tropical until the westerly kicked in.
I am interested to hear how this goes. You may have to go jogging up some hills to try and steam it up. Did they give you a weight by any chance?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 5:09 pm

I'll put a new battery in the accurate kitchen scales and weigh them when they arrive.
Yes I have been reading the new article and downloaded as well. It seems I fall between sizes for Arktis but you never know which will work best until you try each item.
This iteration is supposedly EPIC whereas others are merely described as Ripstop nylon
My Montane is more a runners top than a mountain shell tho, lacking the hood and the deep zipper of this bigger fitting top
Arktis are military suppliers but bought by a lot of other people, these are supposedly PCU spec so will be much heavier than the Fauxdini if that is correct
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 5:39 pm

"I measured the Arktis A192 Stowaway Windshirt, PCU Level 4, Tundra Snow Camo at 70mm H2O and 131 CFM. It will work fine to keep wet snow off of you but it won’t handle rain." Richard Nisely link below (also saw reference to it being 156 grams -but what size?)
"Over-camo’s primary function is winter concealment versus the user’s environmental protection".

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... anosphere/

Please do the Nisely HH test(2 cups water etc) and the CFM test if you have the coffee filters that is, and post the results. My fauxdini (which I Nikwaxed and now has about 50 H20) is as breathable and probably nearly as water resistant (but only 80 grams thus less robust although never had it tear yet, even on falling over on gravel this morning right on the elbow) if Nisley is correct in that test, at that time 2016.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 5:53 pm

I still bought them because there were so many iterations of the garment. Certainly if it is only 70mm of HH and 131CFM permeability it isn't PCU L4 compliant and I would be able to put in a claim via PP but those figures are what I would expect from 30GSM ripstop with no DWR. There is a LW ripstop currently selling at Spotlight that performs like that, makes a good lining fabric for synthetic insulation.
But considering my long term plans that level of permeability would be OK, no rain at -25C
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 6:08 pm

131CFM is wind resistant to about 8 m/sec [~30kph] or 18mph which is adequate as I ski at a third that, if the wind speed exceeds that I am stopping anyway to don my storm parka
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 6:19 pm

No, don't get me wrong I love the CFM! It is the HH I might be disappointed in, if it is that low.
If I have a fleece underneath this, I want the sweat out and this would do it brilliantly!
But the idea of that CFM, perfect, with low HH means not active water resistance according to RN.
For you in the cold I thought this would be excellent- and no rain even better.Wear it under your fleece!!
You will be set.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:15 am

Somebody in Sydney area has an ORC industries one for sale on eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARMY-MILITA ... 1438.l2649
Mind you it is a Large but the ORC is made oversized
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:47 am

Am I right in this potentially being Epic? The clue is the washing directions -use powder only-do not use liquid. I recently saw RN refer to this being the directions specifically for dealing with Epic. Wonder how much it weighs?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 7:53 am

Should be EPIC
I have some of the same EPIC here [ but in a mustard yellow] but I am saving it for a major winter quilt project
No idea on the weight.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:33 am

Looks and feels like EPIC for sure
I will be moving the XL on as it is too small for me, more like a US Medium but about the same size as an XXL Montane but with slightly shorter sleeves
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:53 pm

Could be "Epic like" given that Epic is a brand name of Nextec, so if they don't make it ( or licence it ) it will not be branded Epic .
(my "hoover" is branded Panasonic...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 1:43 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wot 'E said
Except that EPIC is brand named in capitals I think
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 8:44 pm

Yes , probably an acronym based on Encapsulated Polymer Impermeable (Capsule ?) something or other.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:54 am

Well it isn't EPIC fabric.
First rainy soggy day and all the DWR washed off, so it wasn't a "D" WR at all.
I can't seem to find a happy medium in windshirts at the moment, the Arktis was great when working really really hard but I don't really do that constantly or for a long period of time either and while UL the Montane is simply not breathable enough and is too close fitting [ yes I should lose some more weight] and can only be worn over base layers and doesn't have a hood. My around town windbreaker is perfect but at almost a kilo simply too heavy to contemplate. I'm going to have to put the heavy Goretex parka back in the pack I think
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 3:33 pm

That's a bugger.
I have been looking at the white/flouro green one on Decathlon. I would love to see one in person with the fauxdini in hand to compare. This really looks worth while and for $25?? Worth a punt? Maybe? If I was buying anything now it would be this for "active and light WP". Has that slightly see thru' which "suggests" (a la fauxdini) air permeable.
This one https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8384707_ ... #/12-200-s

they have 2XL -110grams in L so maybe 130 in 2XL ? Too small still? They look roomy.Why don't they get one this side of Melbourne, I would like to get in there. Two new ones, both on the east.
I also had this -heavier but the DWR was good for the few months I had it, then I gave it to my daughter-she uses it as what she calls her light rain coat when she walks for exercise.
http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-pock ... 10033.html not too far away either..
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 7:59 pm

XXL fits but it has a zippper and i like my windshirts to be pullovers
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii