60-80 L Pack for a short girl

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

60-80 L Pack for a short girl

Postby hutfinder » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 4:28 pm

Hey Guys!

I'm in the market for a bigger pack (currently enjoying a 55L Osprey Ariel), I just need a bit more room for some longer trips.

Background, I'm only about 5"2 and pretty small around the hips (if I do say so myself) so I'll need something adjustable. I'm also hiking with some surgical apparatus thanks to an ileostomy I had in January. This means that right now, I need to carry a little more load than usual on my shoulders as pressure around the hips can be uncomfortable - so again something I can adjust as I heal up would be good.

I've had no issues with the Osprey, other than wishing for a little more shoulder padding right now, and a passing thought that the material isn't south west Tas friendly, though I've yet to really get out in the scrub and test this out.

Any opinions gratefully considered :D
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: 60-80 L Pack for a short girl

Postby Strider » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 4:51 pm

hutfinder wrote:Hey Guys!

I'm in the market for a bigger pack (currently enjoying a 55L Osprey Ariel), I just need a bit more room for some longer trips.

Background, I'm only about 5"2 and pretty small around the hips (if I do say so myself) so I'll need something adjustable. I'm also hiking with some surgical apparatus thanks to an ileostomy I had in January. This means that right now, I need to carry a little more load than usual on my shoulders as pressure around the hips can be uncomfortable - so again something I can adjust as I heal up would be good.

I've had no issues with the Osprey, other than wishing for a little more shoulder padding right now, and a passing thought that the material isn't south west Tas friendly, though I've yet to really get out in the scrub and test this out.

Have you considered an Aarn? They are probably the most adjustable pack on the market.

There is a Small backlength Effortless Rhythm for sale on the Gear Freak Australia facebook page at the moment, which might suit your needs?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3008799 ... 8539940765
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby hutfinder » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 4:55 pm

Strider wrote:
hutfinder wrote:Hey Guys!

Have you considered an Aarn? They are probably the most adjustable pack on the market.

There is a Small backlength Effortless Rhythm for sale on the Gear Freak Australia facebook page at the moment, which might suit your needs?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3008799 ... 8539940765

thanks! They are on my list to check out - my partner has a load limo and loves it! I'm not sure how I feel about the front pockets, but they are optional :)
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Strider » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 4:58 pm

hutfinder wrote:[I'm not sure how I feel about the front pockets, but they are optional :)

Trust me, once you've used them they are definitely not optional! 8)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby hutfinder » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 5:07 pm

Strider wrote:
hutfinder wrote:[I'm not sure how I feel about the front pockets, but they are optional :)

Trust me, once you've used them they are definitely not optional! 8)

So I keep getting told by my significant other :lol: Have you found the outer material tough? Mud and mayhem tough?
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby andrewa » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:30 pm

Home made? You can design it around your need then. But, if you don't sew, there's no point pointing you to a link.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby hutfinder » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 8:36 am

I am sadly domestically challenged and not a sewer! So pre-made is probably wise, or I'll end up with a scarf on a stick style knapsack :lol:
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm really happy with my Exped Lightning 45lt. They make it in a 60 litre version. Very comfy harness and with an easily adjusted back length. No lid, a roll top style.

I noticed Bushcraft equipment in Wollongong has both sizes on the shelf/wall...

So happy in fact that I have ordered an Exped Explore 60lt online from Bogong. It has a double stay harness and top lid.

Another model with the single stay harness is the Thunder which comes as a 50 or 75lt size, again with a top lid.

Most or all of the Exped backpacks come in a women's version harness too.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 3:34 pm

The Explore 60 was picked up today.

Looks a similar size to my Lightning 45 but with a back pocket, lid and expandable side pockets (not mesh).

Wonder how I will ever fill it! The lid is removable which is great. Seems to have a lot of straps to get used to, some may end up getting stored away.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 07 May, 2018 11:50 am

Neo, can the lid be used as a bumbag or a day pack?
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Mon 07 May, 2018 9:22 pm

Will have to have a look. Not specifically but you could get creative!

The lid isn't real big, kind of too big for a bum bag and too small for a daypack :(
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Gear Reviews