Dehydrated light weight deserts

Food topics, including recipes.

Dehydrated light weight deserts

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 8:23 am

OK. I'm looking for some recipe ideas for some 'easy to make on the trail' lightweight deserts. I've usually opted for just having dehydrated fruit and some chocolate. But looking for some ideas to lift up spirits a little more with hydrated deserts. However anything that requires the use of more than one pan or extensive washing up is off the table. What do you guys bring?
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Dehydrated light weight deserts

Postby Warin » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 9:14 am

There are a few here https://thru-hiker.com/articles/PackLig ... m#puddingv

There are 'instant pudding' mixes .. Chocolate Mouse, Vanilla for example. There 'require' refrigeration - think leaving them out at night would be sufficient. Most require beating .. so a fork and energy? And some require milk .. so milk powder. These could be solutions..
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 11:35 am

Warin wrote:There are a few here https://thru-hiker.com/articles/PackLig ... m#puddingv

There are 'instant pudding' mixes .. Chocolate Mouse, Vanilla for example. There 'require' refrigeration - think leaving them out at night would be sufficient. Most require beating .. so a fork and energy? And some require milk .. so milk powder. These could be solutions..

That's a great resource. I will definitely experiment with a few there.
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 09 Mar, 2018 1:15 pm

My SD brought me back some Astronaut Strawberries from the Smithsonian USA, I really like the freeze dried mixed in the instant pudding
Small packs available at Coles etc as snack crisp fruit
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Fri 09 Mar, 2018 7:06 pm

Popcorn while watching the twinkling stars above, is a savoury option I don't mind every now & then.
Lightweight. Easy to pop.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Tortoise » Fri 09 Mar, 2018 7:14 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:
Warin wrote:There are a few here https://thru-hiker.com/articles/PackLig ... m#puddingv

That's a great resource. I will definitely experiment with a few there.

We used to set them in a creek - strategically held there by rocks etc.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Fri 09 Mar, 2018 11:47 pm

Tortoise wrote:We used to set them in a creek - strategically held there by rocks etc.

ditto for wobbly jelly... :wink:

How about a vanilla bean powdered custard with your favourite biscuit crumbled over the top, digestives or ginger nuts to add some crunch, or fruit & nut chocolate shavings slowly melting in. :)

Once in a blue moon I might make a sticky date pudding, decadent & rich...and it will blow the dial off the sweet-o-meter. :lol:

P4220147 (Medium).JPG

P4220165 (Medium).JPG
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm

ofuros wrote:Popcorn while watching the twinkling stars above, is a savoury option I don't mind every now & then.
Lightweight. Easy to pop.

Popcorn is a staple item on my trips. But I consider it an appetizer. I think it goes quite well with whisky.

I can't offer any suggestions for dehydrated desserts. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and generally despise desserts, with some exceptions.

But I do pack dessert and most of the time it's chocolate. Not supermarket chocolate though. I bring the expensive gourmet kind. The stuff I've taken a liking to recently sells for $8+ USD per 50g. It's quite expensive but amazing. I find I don't need very much to be satisfied; a 50g bar is good for 3-4 nights, easily.

I'm not sure where you'd find that level of quality in NSW. The chocolate that I've tried in Australia, even the fancier stuff, has been disappointing. But I haven't looked that hard.

I'm sure that doesn't help. :-)
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 1:13 pm

ofuros wrote: ginger nuts to add some crunch

Arr ginger nuts .. they change depending on where you get them ..
in NSW they are hard, a good test for teeth or dunk them in tea.
in some other states they are softer .. and thinner if I recall correctly.

Not certain which I like best. But crumbling the NSW kind would need a good rock. :)

Chocolate, dark chocolate of course .. I like the Aldi kind .. the cheaper one (I'm reluctant to try the more expensive one as I may like that better) ..
look at the % cocoa .. the one I like has 45% minimum.

Aldi do a number of dried fruits - mango, cranberries, apricots (partially rehydrated) and presently bananas.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 1:33 pm

Point of order here.
The only correct way to rehydrate dried apricots is with equal amounts of good honey and brandy and then eaten with really thick creamy custard
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 4:17 pm

There are four different versions of Arnot gingernuts. I think I've had three of them. None of those are as good as Griffins, the super hard break-your-teeth gingernuts from NZ. All I can find here in CA is McVitie's, which is the worst of the lot. Tempted to try and bake my own but I suspect it's not easy to get them right.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 6:52 pm

Orion wrote:There are four different versions of Arnot gingernuts. I think I've had three of them. None of those are as good as Griffins, the super hard break-your-teeth gingernuts from NZ.

Never heard of them ...
"There's no gingernuts taste quite the same, ask for Griffin's Gingernuts by name!"

Looks like Wollies in oz stock them .. I'll have to do a comparison :wink:
Oh .. they are also in 'the reject shop'.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 2:25 am

They can be found in Australia but not at every Woolies or every Reject Shop. In Tasmania I've only found them once, at the Reject Shop in St. Helens. If they're sold in Hobart somewhere I'd like to know about it.

I think the notion behind the Griffins is that they hold up well when dipped in a hot beverage. Eating them as is likely increases your chance of a dental accident. They taste really good though. I ate countless Griffins gingernuts on a combined NZ/Tas trip a year ago. I ate them on bushwalks. I ate them in town. Then I took about 8 packages home with me.

Here in the U.S. we don't have gingernuts per se. The ginger cookies are called "ginger snaps" and are smaller and not as hard. Not really the same thing.

Not really a dessert, though. A breakfast tea or coffee thing. Or maybe a lunch snack.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 5:08 pm

Tried the pudding out. I was quite impressed. I'm bringing some from now on if we will be camped next to a river or creek. Cheers.
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 5:20 pm

ofuros wrote:How about a vanilla bean powdered custard with your favourite biscuit crumbled over the top, digestives or ginger nuts to add some crunch, or fruit & nut chocolate shavings slowly melting in. :)

Does the custard need setting? Or does it just thicken without the need for chilling?
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 5:33 pm

Warin wrote:
ofuros wrote: ginger nuts to add some crunch

Arr ginger nuts .. they change depending on where you get them ..
in NSW they are hard, a good test for teeth or dunk them in tea.
in some other states they are softer .. and thinner if I recall correctly.

Not certain which I like best. But crumbling the NSW kind would need a good rock. :)

Chocolate, dark chocolate of course .. I like the Aldi kind .. the cheaper one (I'm reluctant to try the more expensive one as I may like that better) ..
look at the % cocoa .. the one I like has 45% minimum.

Aldi do a number of dried fruits - mango, cranberries, apricots (partially rehydrated) and presently bananas.

I had a fresh apple last towards the end of a multiday recently. Ended up sauteing it and melting some dark chocolate with it. Then added some chopped up 'Bear Naked peanut butter bar'. It wasn't bad but cleanup wasn't as easy as I would have liked. Think I might just eat the chocolate as is next time.
Huntsman247

Postby ofuros » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 6:53 am

Huntsman247 wrote:
ofuros wrote:How about a vanilla bean powdered custard with your favourite biscuit crumbled over the top, digestives or ginger nuts to add some crunch, or fruit & nut chocolate shavings slowly melting in. :)

Does the custard need setting? Or does it just thicken without the need for chilling?

Simmer for 2-3mins & it will thicken before your very eyes... :wink:
Experiment with custard powder at home before trying in the bush.

..and since there was a backlash against the poor old ginger nuts...try some crumbled butternut snaps instead. :lol: :wink:
Last edited by ofuros on Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 7:45 am

Instead custard sachets from larger Coles supermarkets.

You can use hot or cold water, they're ready after 15 seconds of mixing, nothing else is needed as they already include powdered milk (and the sugar mentioned in the instructions isn't needed as they're already quite sweet).

You can mix them in the sachet and eat them from there (with care) so there's nothing to wash.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:16 am

ribuck wrote:Instead custard sachets from larger Coles supermarkets.

You can use hot or cold water, they're ready after 15 seconds of mixing, nothing else is needed as they already include powdered milk (and the sugar mentioned in the instructions isn't needed as they're already quite sweet).

You can mix them in the sachet and eat them from there (with care) so there's nothing to wash.
Seperate sachets...I'll have a look for those next time I'm in the supermarket.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 5:52 pm

ofuros wrote:..and since there was a backlash against the poor old ginger nuts...try some crumbled butternut snaps instead. :lol: :wink:

I think the ginger nuts will be fine. Sounds like they can hold their own... :lol:
Btw I tried popcorn the other day on a trek. Brilliant idea! It's a regular now. Smells amazing when your tired. lol. And gives you something to do in the evening.
Huntsman247

Postby Trundlers » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 8:20 pm

Our favourite track dessert is 70% dark chocolate (e.g. Lindt) and our treat of Cointreu! We take 500ml in a soft water bottle and eke it out over a walk. Our track luxury item. :D
Trundlers
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 8:41 pm

Slice a banana lengthwise without extending the cut to the very ends so as to insert 4 or 5 pieces of chocolate.
Wrap the banana, still in the skin, inside a piece of aluminium foil.
Heat the package in a pan or oven.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:02 pm

I invented one that turned out extraordinarily well, and it has become one of my favourites. I first tested it at home to make sure it worked, and then I tried it out on some friends as a surprise while out bush, and they all raved about it.

Incredibly simple, and so delicious. Here 'tis:

Apple Crumble

Rehydrate some chopped dried apple in just enough boiling water to cover it in a small pot. Serve in a cup topped with smashed biscuits of your choice - anzacs or ginger nut snaps both work very well.

Add UHT cream if you don't mind a little extra weight - you can even whip the cream if you have a LOT of patience with shaking it in a container).

(Note that dried stewed apple can take some time to rehydrate, so best to get it boiling early, and then leave it to soak for a while (eg, while you're cooking your gourmet main course). You may also want to moosh it up a bit with a fork afterwards, depending on the consistency you prefer. It's also worth chopping it finely at home, before packing it.)

Some other simple deserts are:
Stewed fruit salad and custard (rehydrate any stewed fruit, and use powdered custard)
Old Jamaican custard (or whatever variety of chocolate you like added to powdered custard)
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 15 Aug, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby claire16 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 2:02 pm

Check out http://www.addictedtohiking.com.au for some dessert ideas. It is my website but i dont make money off of it. Its just to show people what's possible. Admin please delete if not appropriate.
claire16
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lamont » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 4:58 pm

Unless I am mistaken, there is not one ad on your website. Compared to some others linked on this site. I like some of your recipes as well, and your photos of you and Mum-thanks Claire. I will try some of the easier recipes!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:14 pm

claire16 wrote:Check out http://www.addictedtohiking.com.au for some dessert ideas. It is my website but i dont make money off of it. Its just to show people what's possible. Admin please delete if not appropriate.

Awesome site and recipes! Thanks for sharing.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:22 pm

Claire- you set the bar high! That all sounds very yummy.
Think I will have to try pizza & a dessert or 3!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 8:10 am

claire16 wrote:Check out http://www.addictedtohiking.com.au for some dessert ideas. It is my website but i dont make money off of it. Its just to show people what's possible. Admin please delete if not appropriate.
Can't see anything wrong with the site. Recipes look good. I'll have to try some. Thanks for posting.
Huntsman247

Postby +dj_hansen+ » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 2:21 pm

Awesome website and recipes Claire.
+dj_hansen+
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby flingebunt » Mon 21 Jan, 2019 4:59 pm

An easy option is pancakes. You can make chocolate pancakes simply by adding cocoa to plain pancake mix. You can also add in chocolate chips or some fruit such as dried strawberries, or various types of flavours including orange juice mix for that orange chocolate mix or a cap full of flavouring like rum or brandy flavour.

I like the suggestion of serving with UHT cream, though you could melt some chocolate to pour over the top.

On a side note, I have seen a few stove baked cakes on YouTube. Basically they put cake mix into a pan or wide pot with a good lid. You cook it over a low heat and then turn it over half way through. I will have to try this one day.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Bush Tucker