Cobberas - Moscow Peak Spur

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cobberas - Moscow Peak Spur

Postby bigkev » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:53 pm

When I was shuffling my way north on the AAWT last November I noticed that there had been what looked like a prescribed burn on the east side of Cowombat Flat Track. I didn't head up to the Cobberas on my AAWT walk though so I wasn't sure what the damage was. On Friday I decided to head up to bivy for the night at Cobberas No 1, to make the walk into a circuit I headed up the spur leading to Moscow Peak off Cowombat Track (I returned down the spur that comes in through the scrub almost at the carpark on Cowombat Track).

The earth works for the fire (I'm guessing its a firebreak) have left some big scars up to around the 1500 metre contour level on what use to be an untracked spur. So I just thought I'd give people a heads up as it's not the most pleasant walking and higher up the bulldozer more or less stuck to the crest of the spur which is normally the spot you'd want to walk. By the way, this isn't a criticism of Parks Vic, I understand the need for planned burns, it's just a heads up for walkers to maybe give that route a miss for a couple of years until it starts to revegetate a bit if you don't fancy climbing up a huge bulldozer scar.
DSC_0013.JPG
Heading up the spur leading to Moscow Peak from Cowombat Track.

DSC_0014.JPG
The bulldozer got up to around the 1500 metre contour.

It wasn't all bad news though, once above the fire earthworks the Cobberas are as good as ever. Sunset from my bivy last night up on Cobberas 1 was pretty sweet :D and dropping back down to the ute today along the spur the comes in near the car park from the south east was pretty good walking overall, only the last kilometres getting a bit scrubby.
DSC_0060.JPG
It wasn't all bad news though...

DSC_0096.JPG

For any AAWT walkers heading through soon there is only a tiny trickle of water dribbling down the two arms of Stony Creek under Cowombat Flat Track and the first crossing of Bulley Creek (just after the gate) is bone dry. Up on the range the headwaters of Moscow Creek is also dry (as you'd expect at this time of the year).
DSC_0123.JPG
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Cobberas - Moscow Peak Spur

Postby Avatar » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 8:15 pm

I think we've now entered the age of live feed bushwalk report postings. :D
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:42 am

You're "livin' the dream" Kev. Great pictures.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigkev » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:49 pm

Cheers Guys :D
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:30 pm

Well done Big Kev. . I have yet to explore that part of the Oz Alps.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby potato » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 8:03 am

Seems to have been a fire in that region in Oct 2017 - not sure its the same one though:

https://emergency.vic.gov.au/public/eve ... F1953.html

It's a shame they pushed the dozer up that far, it was never going to be a big fire. The fire conditions this season weren't anywhere near severe enough to carry a large fire.

I walked that spur last Easter - it wasn't too bad.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby bigkev » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 12:35 pm

I've finally got a couple of posts up from this walk, here's the links if anyone is interested....

https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... -no-1.html

https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... rpark.html
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 4:00 pm

Top knotch report as usual Kev. Thanks.
It's a funny thing but your front pages have always caught my attention and I hadn't realised how prolific your blogging is.
I've been reading some your writing from a few years back now.......places I've even walked myself :D ......sure beats watching the idiot box :wink:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigkev » Tue 01 May, 2018 4:00 pm

neilmny wrote:Top knotch report as usual Kev. Thanks.
It's a funny thing but your front pages have always caught my attention and I hadn't realised how prolific your blogging is.
I've been reading some your writing from a few years back now.......places I've even walked myself :D ......sure beats watching the idiot box :wink:

Thanks Neil,

With around 40 years of trips up my sleeve I've got a fair archive, hence the prolific posting.

In some cases the blog is an excuse to digitise my old photos before they turn to dust.....or my memories turn to dust :?

Cheers
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria