Just One Overland With The Lot Please

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Just One Overland With The Lot Please

Postby Explorer_Sam » Tue 29 May, 2018 7:08 pm

Hey all,

I've just done some writing on my recent Overland experience. It's a bit of a run down of my first four days.

An experience that words can't do justice. Here is the first part to one of the best weeks of my life.

Part 2 coming soon!

https://sambochristie.wordpress.com/201 ... se-part-1/
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Just One Overland With The Lot Please

Postby Tortoise » Tue 29 May, 2018 7:39 pm

Hey Sambo,
Funny, I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago, wondering what adventures you'd been up to.
Enjoyed your writing once again. And glad you finally got those views from Barn!

Bummer about Emmett, though. We only went through a very short band of scrub - it's the boulders that turn a lot of people off. In case you haven't checked out it out already, looking at the State Aerial Photo view on LISTmap (under Basemaps at the top right) can be helpful.
https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map

The other thing I learnt from a master on the Eldons traverse, was not to be afraid to go a fair way around to find a path of much less resistance.
Cheers
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Tue 29 May, 2018 7:44 pm

I found a very good pad running across the saddle from the Anthill to the boulder field. Easy going.
Maybe we need to get together and give the poor lad a few lessons in off-track Tasmania... ;)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Tue 29 May, 2018 7:47 pm

north-north-west wrote:I found a very good pad running across the saddle from the Anthill to the boulder field. Easy going.
Maybe we need to get together and give the poor lad a few lessons in off-track Tasmania... ;)

:) Sounds fun!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 30 May, 2018 1:57 pm

Tortoise wrote:
north-north-west wrote:I found a very good pad running across the saddle from the Anthill to the boulder field. Easy going.

For us, yes. :twisted:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Explorer_Sam » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 2:58 pm

Tortoise wrote:Hey Sambo,
Funny, I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago, wondering what adventures you'd been up to.
Enjoyed your writing once again. And glad you finally got those views from Barn!

Bummer about Emmett, though. We only went through a very short band of scrub - it's the boulders that turn a lot of people off. In case you haven't checked out it out already, looking at the State Aerial Photo view on LISTmap (under Basemaps at the top right) can be helpful.
https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map

The other thing I learnt from a master on the Eldons traverse, was not to be afraid to go a fair way around to find a path of much less resistance.
Cheers

Hi Tortoise,

Thanks heaps! Yes, it was so great to finally get the view. It was a bit easy though in the end, I thought I'd have to climb it 6 or 7 times :wink:

I look forward to writing a little report on Emmett (once these assignments are out of the way). I definitely think I went the wrong way because I got caught in some Scoparia that definitely isn't visible on either the LISTmap image or on the photos I took from the top of the first little hill. I have to get back there... and I'll give myself a full day. I'm confident.

Good advice!

Thanks,
Sam.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Explorer_Sam » Wed 06 Jun, 2018 2:58 pm

Tortoise wrote:

north-north-west wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

For us, yes. :twisted:

Hahaha, I wouldn't say no!
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes