Made to order ultralight down quilts (thread #2)

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Re: Made to order ultralight down quilts (thread #2)

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 28 May, 2018 10:46 am

PGE63 wrote:Hi Mike, I'm interested in buying one of your quilts and a custom underquilt. However, I just created my account here and am unable to PM you. Can you send me a PM? No mad rush as the “geriatric gap year” thru Alaska and Canada is not till year, but keen to get all the my gear sorted and bug free well in advance. Peter E.

Hi Peter, I've sent you a PM, cheers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bazza77 » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 5:48 am

Hi Mike,

I'm interested in purchasing one of your quilts. Could you please PM me?

Cheers,

Barry
Bazza77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Barry, I've sent you a PM, Cheers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pfeutry » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi Mike,

I already own one of your quilt and I was wondering if you had made any progress towards a twin quilt option?
Cheers

Pierre
pfeutry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 3:27 pm

pfeutry wrote:Hi Mike,

I already own one of your quilt and I was wondering if you had made any progress towards a twin quilt option?
Cheers

Pierre

Hi Pierre, if I remember correctly you have a lime green and red quilt? I am now actually working on designing a double quilt, although there's still a lot of work to do (the devil is in the detail) and it's not imminent but I'm working towards getting some out there by the end of the year. I'm also investigating ways of combining two single quilts to form a double, although it's a bit speculative at the moment.

Michael
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby datoby » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm interested in one of your quilts. Could you shoot me a message?

Cheers,
Dan
datoby
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 11:09 am

datoby wrote:Hi Mike,

I'm interested in one of your quilts. Could you shoot me a message?

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan, I've sent you a PM, cheers
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darkthrone » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi Mike
Do you have any Quilts made in stock? Looking to buy a present but have not allowed myself much time...So exciting to see locally made things like this
Thanks
Emma
Darkthrone
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby pfeutry » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 10:49 pm

undercling-mike wrote:
pfeutry wrote:Hi Mike,

Cheers

Pierre

Hi Pierre, if I remember correctly you have a lime green and red quilt? I am now actually working on designing a double quilt, although there's still a lot of work to do (the devil is in the detail) and it's not imminent but I'm working towards getting some out there by the end of the year. I'm also investigating ways of combining two single quilts to form a double, although it's a bit speculative at the moment.

Michael

You have a very good memory, I love that lime green and red quilt, I can't stop raving about it and I hopefully got you a few customers out of it :D
Any rough idea of what the twin quilt might cost or is it too early still to provide an estimate?
pfeutry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 6:21 pm

pfeutry wrote:You have a very good memory, I love that lime green and red quilt, I can't stop raving about it and I hopefully got you a few customers out of it :D
Any rough idea of what the twin quilt might cost or is it too early still to provide an estimate?

It is quite a distinct colour scheme (but a very nice one)! Glad it's working well for you. For the twin quilts it's too early to give exact figures but I'm thinking it'll be somewhere in the range of 1.5x the cost of the equivalent single.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BushyBrad » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 3:44 pm

Hey Mike
I too am interested in purchasing a quilt made by you. Could you please PM me?
Regards
Brad
BushyBrad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 4:21 am

I'm away on a trip (lets call it product testing :D) for all of July so I won't be able to complete new quilts till around mid - late August (all current orders have been finished unless previously discussed). I'm still happy to receive inquiries and messages although I might be slightly slower than usual in getting back to you. I've also got some in stock quilts with someone who is ready to ship them out so please have a look at the quilts I currently have in my in stock quilts thread (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23987&start=30)

Cheers,
Michael
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanR » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 4:06 pm

I was lucky enough to get a quilt from Michael before he left for his trip. He was great to deal. I am very happy so far, the quilt is equally as well put together as my sea to summit spark 3. I get to field test it in about a week.
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gingerninja » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 4:16 pm

Hey Mike,

I'm new to the forum (no PM rights as yet) and would like to order a -2 quilt from you, can you send me a PM please?

Cheers
gingerninja
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 9:24 pm

gingerninja wrote:Hey Mike,

I'm new to the forum (no PM rights as yet) and would like to order a -2 quilt from you, can you send me a PM please?

Cheers

Hi I've sent you a PM.

I'm also back home making quilts again after a great trip to the US!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jovish » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Mike, another new member who joined to buy one of your quilts!

Could you please PM me to organise an order?

Thanks!
Jovish
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby undercling-mike » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:20 pm

Jovish wrote:Hi Mike, another new member who joined to buy one of your quilts!

Could you please PM me to organise an order?

Thanks!

Hi Jovish, I've sent you a PM. Cheers
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jake123 » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi Mike, I am considering buying one of your quilts. Can you please PM me?

Thanks,
Jake123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:01 am

Jake123 wrote:Hi Mike, I am considering buying one of your quilts. Can you please PM me?

Thanks,

HI jake, I've sent you a PM, cheers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jdeks » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:38 pm

So mike.

Hiring staff yet ?

:lol:
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 2:42 pm

Maybe someday, but that's still a ways off I reckon. Kinda assumed I'd get sick of it at some point when I started but that hasn't happened yet and I've got some interesting things in the pipe for the coming months so who knows.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hobbotheyobbo » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 10:09 am

Hi Mike,

New to the forum and am thinking about purchasing quilts for my partner and I. Could you please PM me?

Cheers,
Mike
hobbotheyobbo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 2:39 pm

hobbotheyobbo wrote:Hi Mike,

New to the forum and am thinking about purchasing quilts for my partner and I. Could you please PM me?

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, I've sent you a PM, cheers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rowdy » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi Mike

I'm interested in your quilts, could you send me a PM.

Cheers,
Pat
rowdy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 4:12 pm

rowdy wrote:Hi Mike

I'm interested in your quilts, could you send me a PM.

Cheers,
Pat

Hi Pat, I've sent you a PM, cheers.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hypocaffeinic » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 3:02 pm

Just received my second UC Mike quilt - a beautiful warm winter quilt in Red Ochre and Burnt Orange! I already have a summer quilt in green and orange, so am now covered and cosy year-round.

Here is a glamour shot of my new quilt that just arrived to my office, and a dodgy phone photo of my summer quilt whilst fastpacking the Mackay Highlands Great Walk a couple months back. Both quilts are of superb workmanship, and Mike is great to work with; I recommend him without hesitation! :D

5IVWGXc - Imgur.jpg

3H0T0o7 - Imgur.jpg
Hypocaffeinic
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jdeks » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 12:21 am

Add me to Team Undercling. My -8C arrived on Friday. I'm 178cm and 75kg, went regular width and height. Black and Cadmium yellow 15d taffeta and 950 down, but with 50g of overstuffing. Had the chance to field test it over the weeekend at -4C.

On the whole, this is the best quilt I've ever used. I've previously owned a Zpacks quilt, and used an EE Revelation, a Katabatic Palisade and a Tiergear queda. All very good quilts. Mikes are better.

The workmanship is impeccable, but it's also the first quilt I've had that's managed to nail down all of the individual niggles that the others have. The down doesn't migrate. Footbox zips up without cold spots. Has a neck baffle and shoulder clips that work. Proper human-shape taper, that you can adjust. No drafts. I honestly can't suggest any improvments.

I think all the main features have been covered already, but heres a few of the more subtle aspects I've noticed.

Laid flat, you can see the wrinkles around the torso area - it's a proper 3d differential cut. Meaning you can slide the clips underneath from right next to each other, to almost 50cm apart, and the quilt doesn't distort. I wasted half an hour of Mikes time talking about what width I needed for extra layers inside; it doesn't matter. The torso width is pretty much infintely adjustable, but the leg width stays consistent

Vertical baffles also obviously stop down migration to the side, but the split baffle on top also means the down over your chest can't migrate to your legs either.

The loft is epic. Certainly more than my -7C Zpacks was, and moreover, the baffles are actually full (actually, with the overstuffing, they're packed). For scale, that watch is one of Casio's big dorky ProTrek models. At -4C, it was warm enough to need some venting - which is real easy to do,

The neck baffle can actually be flipped outside if you're using a shorter hood and need more neck coverage, but the real beauty is that with the 3d cut, once you do up the neck elastic, it still holds shape around your neck and shoulders rather than just scrunching up in a knot. So - you can keep the drafts out, without strangling yourself.

The included stuff sack is a good size, but if you've got a 3L compression sack, it'll fit into it, at which point it gets that creepy 'feels lighter than it looks' property.

But lastly, and by far the best, is that with a bit of clever clipping, you can actually turn it into a very stylish wizards cloak! Not sure if this was by design, but if you're serious about going ultralight, there's real potential for this to augment any night clothes when you're kicking around the hut/campsite.
Attachments
IMG_8368.JPG
Impeccable Stitching
IMG_8331.JPG
Laid flat, inside up.
IMG_8345.JPG
Understraps adjusted wide.
IMG_8350.JPG
Understraps cinched together
IMG_8337.JPG
Lofty.
IMG_8352.JPG
Neck baffle out.
IMG_8358.JPG
Neck cinched, shoulder clips undone.
IMG_8372.JPG
Compression Sack minimum size
IMG_8342.jpg
YOU SHALL NOT PASS
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Hypocaffeinic » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:26 am

jdeks wrote:Add me to Team Undercling. My -8C arrived on Friday. I'm 178cm and 75kg, went regular width and height. Black and Cadmium yellow 15d taffeta and 950 down, but with 50g of overstuffing. Had the chance to field test it over the weeekend at -4C.

On the whole, this is the best quilt I've ever used. I've previously owned a Zpacks quilt, and used an EE Revelation, a Katabatic Palisade and a Tiergear queda. All very good quilts. Mikes are better.

The workmanship is impeccable, but it's also the first quilt I've had that's managed to nail down all of the individual niggles that the others have. The down doesn't migrate. Footbox zips up without cold spots. Has a neck baffle and shoulder clips that work. Proper human-shape taper, that you can adjust. No drafts. I honestly can't suggest any improvments.

I think all the main features have been covered already, but heres a few of the more subtle aspects I've noticed.

Laid flat, you can see the wrinkles around the torso area - it's a proper 3d differential cut. Meaning you can slide the clips underneath from right next to each other, to almost 50cm apart, and the quilt doesn't distort. I wasted half an hour of Mikes time talking about what width I needed for extra layers inside; it doesn't matter. The torso width is pretty much infintely adjustable, but the leg width stays consistent

Vertical baffles also obviously stop down migration to the side, but the split baffle on top also means the down over your chest can't migrate to your legs either.

The loft is epic. Certainly more than my -7C Zpacks was, and moreover, the baffles are actually full (actually, with the overstuffing, they're packed). For scale, that watch is one of Casio's big dorky ProTrek models. At -4C, it was warm enough to need some venting - which is real easy to do,

The neck baffle can actually be flipped outside if you're using a shorter hood and need more neck coverage, but the real beauty is that with the 3d cut, once you do up the neck elastic, it still holds shape around your neck and shoulders rather than just scrunching up in a knot. So - you can keep the drafts out, without strangling yourself.

The included stuff sack is a good size, but if you've got a 3L compression sack, it'll fit into it, at which point it gets that creepy 'feels lighter than it looks' property.

But lastly, and by far the best, is that with a bit of clever clipping, you can actually turn it into a very stylish wizards cloak! Not sure if this was by design, but if you're serious about going ultralight, there's real potential for this to augment any night clothes when you're kicking around the hut/campsite.

OMG wizard's cloak!!! If not by design, that's some pretty amazing accidental black magic! I'm trying that with mine as soon as I get home.

Your quilt looks fantastic, congrats!
Hypocaffeinic
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:28 am

Great overview jdeks. I need to try one of these quilts for sure.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 4:08 pm

jdeks wrote:But lastly, and by far the best, is that with a bit of clever clipping, you can actually turn it into a very stylish wizards cloak! Not sure if this was by design, but if you're serious about going ultralight, there's real potential for this to augment any night clothes when you're kicking around the hut/campsite.

The Wizard's Cloak! No I hadn't thought of that, looks good and very inventive! I was just thinking people would use it opened up as a wrap for camp use. What is that huge camp mat you have in the pics?
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts