Will Lightheart Gear Solong be suitable for Overland Track?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Will Lightheart Gear Solong be suitable for Overland Track?

Postby emma_melbourne » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 5:42 pm

I am looking at getting a lighter tent for the Overland Track.

The Zpacks / Cuban Fibre tents - such as the Zpacks Duo - is quite a big investment for me. Even more so given I don't get all that much hiking each year around work and looking after my 2 year old daughter. I don't feel like I can really justify spending close to $1000 on a tent.

So I'm looking at tents which are in-between, cost-wise and weight-wise.

Such as sil nylon trekking pole tents. (Solo Moon Designs, Tarptent, Lightheart Gear, etc)

One of the brands I like - Lightheart Gear - is about to have a sale with seconds and return stock in it, beginning 4 July 2018.

I have been looking at the Solong 6 tent by Lightheart Gear for some time. It has very good reviews, including from hikers who have used it for years, and done major trails such as the AT with it. I has a strong ridge pole included, that the trekking poles go into. It weighs 0.9 kg, not including needing 8 pegs minimum required, and optional awning pole is 23 grams.

Weblink: https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6

What are your thoughts on whether this tent will likely be suitable for the Overland Track for January 2019 intended hike?

My current tent - the Sierra Designs Flash 2 FL - I love, but is 1.85 kg. So the Lightheart Gear Solong 6 tent is half the weight.

I prefer to go a 1.5 or 2 person tent rather than 1 person tent, as I have a 2 year old daughter and want flexibility to use it in future with her. The Solong 6 tent can fit 2 people (but it's tight), and certainly 1 adult and 1 child no problem. Just for explanation in case you're wondering why I'm not looking at 1 person tents to get down to 0.7 kg in sil nylon with trekking poles.

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Will Lightheart Gear Solong be suitable for Overland Tra

Postby Lamont » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 7:35 pm

You don't say what your concern is. Are you concerned about the platforms and/or the necessity to pitch this on them?
That may be an issue perhaps?
The only thing I would suggest is have a good look at the set-up videos. Can you adapt to the platform if required?
The LHG shelter set-up can be a bit unusual compared to others perhaps? For example sitting inside the tent to put it up. What about the verandah! Check youtube as well, if you haven't already.
But if that grabs you, and you can put it where you want,-why not the Overland with this shelter?

Lots of practise before you go clearly. On the quality front, someone may correct me, but I believe you are correct and they do have a very solid reputation amongst the Ultralight community in the US.
There is at least one person on BW.com that frequents the UL forums and hopefully that/those person/s can add something to the LHG quality story if that's also what you are after. But their stuff seems fine and well made. There is not a thread out of place on the jacket they made for me, last year, not a tent though. One of the smaller cottage companies. All the best.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby emma_melbourne » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 9:25 pm

Thank you so much for your response @Lamont.

My apologies for not stating more clearly my concern.

In essence, I'd read that double wall tents were recommended for the Overland Track, and the structural soundness and durability within the weather conditions of Tasmania was my main concern.

I'm not worried about pitching the tent. I've found from past tents I've owned that I work it out pretty quickly, and practise a few times before I take it anywhere. And I've watched videos and I don't think there's much to it. The platforms will require extra cordage and I'll have pegs that can also wedge between the boards, in the style shown on the Zpacks on Overland video.

So no my concern was just "Will it be suitable for the conditions down there?" / "Is this reasonably sensible to spend AUD $400 to save 900 grams of weight?" / "By all means tell me if you think I'm crazy".

Is that clearer? :P

Best,

Emma

PS I realize condensation is a possibility in the section that is single wall, despite the two air vents or if I can't have them open due to bad weather, and I'm fine with using a mini UL towel to just wipe the condensation.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 10:04 pm

Only you know your financial situation. So that is up to you.

My personal guide is for every $1 spent I want to save at least 1 gram of weight. So $400 for 900 grams fits well in my personal guide lines.

Will it fit the conditions? I don't know the tent. For Jan in Tas I'd be happy with a 3 season tent. You may get snow .. but it won't last.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby emma_melbourne » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 11:01 pm

Wow - that's very interesting to know. (Your guide of $1 per 1 gram of weight).

I worked out that for my weight savings:
ZPacks Duplex tent - Works out $72 per 100 grams weight savings. (Saving 1.25 kg weight.)
Lightheart Gear Duo - Works out $57 per 100 grams weight savings. (Saving 750 grams weight.)
Solong 6 - Works out $46 per 100 grams weight saving. (Saving 867 grams weight)

My stove was advertised at 99 grams, but weighed 110 grams. So I swapped that out for a BRS Ultralight Stove which was only 25 grams, and $ 25 dollars, saving 85 grams. (Or $29.41 per 100 grams weight saving)

I'm glad there are others as geeky as me! You must really have it dialled down though to be valuing 1 gram at $1. Impressive!

I'd love to see your LighterPack list or spreadsheet for inspiration.

The main other thing I'm looking at swapping out for weight is my pack, which is a perfectly fabulous Berghaus Wilderness 60L + 15 and was I thought was a respectable weight of 1.78 kg. But now that I'm more knowledgable on UL that seems a bit heavy, and Massdrop have a Granite Gear Crown X60 which is about 1 kg with lid ditched. And is US $120 plus US $17.75 shipping. So that's my other current temptation in the quest to drop weight.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... rer=9QZ846

Works out approx AUD $186, and weight saving of around 700 grams depending on how much I strip pack. Which is $26.6 per 100 grams.

The "but" is the pack is made for a man, and the straps may be awkward on the female bust is my main concern.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 7:12 am

THere is a SMD lunar solo on the forum for sale right now. It is a single wall tarp tent that erects with a hiking pole. 600g.

By all accounts it is a large solo with good height for 300 bucks or so. You would get a good few years out of it before the its too small for you and the rugrat...
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks for that. I have messaged seller in case it hasn’t already sold!
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 9:08 am

If you are looking for a "female specific" -(There is a women's version GG Crown but Massdrop are not offering it)sack in that weight range and price the Osprey Eja 44 (true to its 44L) at Wildearth Aus-(UltralightoutdoorsUK/Webtogs) is around that price. Read some reviews maybe? Get 2 sizes and send the wrong one back? They will do it I am sure. The GG Crown "60" is in reality about a 44 litre sack-check Sectionhiker review. EDIT
The GG is far more modular tho' -Last I checked it can be stripped of everything (framesheet/lid etc) down to a frameless sack of about 700 grams. Cam Honan recommended it to me in an email. The MDrop one may not be the same that GG sells so check that carefully-all their Massdrop EEs and GGs etc are made on mass to order in China (GG is already made there) and don't always meet the specs of the original. The EE quilt MD version, was/is heavier. Good searching.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:39 am

emma_melbourne wrote:So no my concern was just "Will it be suitable for the conditions down there?"

Hey Emma

I think we Australians tend to over estimate the severity of our weather. January anywhere in Australia is far from the 4th season IMO. This shelter will be more than adequate.

I did a lot of research on this tent a few years ago and it ticks a lot of boxes. For the money/size/features it is a pretty good deal.

I have been using ultralight shelters in the alpine for years and have never had issues. Even in the 4th season and above the treeline. Anticipating the weather and pitching correctly will save you some major hassles.

If you are looking for a light shelter that can offer some serious weather resistance it may be worth looking at a Mid.
One planet, Locus gear, Mountain laurel designs and a few more make some pretty amazing pyramid shaped shelters.

Here is my lighterpack for 3 season Alpine trips in NSW/ACT/VIC - https://lighterpack.com/r/6k2ru8

As far as condensation goes, please refer to jdeks brilliant response in this thread - http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28061
Last edited by Zapruda on Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby slparker » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:43 am

Zapruda wrote:
As far as condensation goes, please refer to jdeks brilliant response in this thread - http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28061

yes, that post from jdeks should be a sticky or something...
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:11 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:Wow - that's very interesting to know. (Your guide of $1 per 1 gram of weight).

I worked out that for my weight savings:

snip

I'm glad there are others as geeky as me! You must really have it dialled down though to be valuing 1 gram at $1. Impressive!

The $1 per 1 gram thing came from another activity .. and I found I was spending money for not much return. So I analysed it and came up with an absolute limit of $1 for 1g.
That cost benefit number gets the best weigh loss for the money. There are other factors such as comfort and activities that need to influence the decisions too .. it is not all money and/or weight.

My list ..? Have not worked on it for a while .. life gets in the way .. but here it is http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27516
You can see the varying comments .. and some changes in my list reflect those.

On the lighter weight packs .. they are not comfortable carrying as much weight as the heavier packs. Be carefull to get the other stuff lighter first.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi @Warin

Good advice regards pack. Yes I'm conscious some packs - particularly the "frameless" variety - do not carry heavier weights comfortably or well.

Also, I do have quite "bulky" equipment preferences. Like taking a reliable Thermarest 40th Anniversary SIM with a delicious 5 cm of thickness. I also had a Thermarest pillow with the foam chips which I've tentatively written plans to switch out for a pillow case with jacket, but if I do revert to Thermarest pillow, it does take up a bit of pack volume bulk. Hence my Berghaus 60L + 15L expandable sides will happily swallow that bulk. And carry heavy weight with food for multi-day hike very comfortably.

How are you finding your Exos 58, out of curiosity? It looks like you've done some heavier loads in that with food etc.

Loving your foot down on the 2 hankies! At 14 grams each - you enjoy them! That's nothing in the scheme of things to have 1 extra.

I opt for 1 pair extra socks than other hikers go for, and I always appreciate having that extra pair of each so much that it's definitely worth the 34 grams weight for me. Ah to put one's feet in a fresh pair of dry socks in the morning, rather than having 2 pairs with 1 soggy and the 1 still damp. That third pair for me is gold.

Happy hiking.

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:46 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:How are you finding your Exos 58, out of curiosity? It looks like you've done some heavier loads in that with food etc.

Most of the comfort is in the packing.
Get the weight low and close in is the main thing. Easy to say harder to do with gear that is a fixed shape. Making things that fit your pack and where you want it to go takes time and, as things reduce as you consume them, there is a constant reshuffle. Doing at home is fine. On the track not so good .. it takes some time, thought and energy that I'd rather have for other things.

If it is up at 20kgs the pack is not that comfortable, if I were carrying that weight constantly I'd get another (heavier) pack. I'm still tuning. I'm using the pack to do some local shopping - a 2 k walk there (about 0.6 k through bush). The shopping does not pack at all well, but not much weight in it self ... it does get me a walk trying different footwear and soles.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 4:58 pm

More gold advice - thank you @Warin. I will try packing.

My pack should be well under 20 kg. (Currently it's tracking at 14 kg including food for 6 days and 2 L water.)

Any lighter equipment and that weight comes down further. However my plan for a UL tent have hit a spanner - my sister tells me today on a Skype conversation (she's in NZ) that she wants to come with me!

So I am now back to the drawing board again. Although a ZPacks Duplex would work, a Six Moons Duo, or even existing Sierra Designs Flash 2 FL would be halved if we share weight.

But my sister would now need equipment for her hike. So I am back to the drawing board.

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 5:33 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:But my sister would now need equipment for her hike. So I am back to the drawing board.

The quick easy solution = hire it. If she finds out she likes it then she can start buying her own gear.
Plenty of gear hires down there, so no need to transport it and you can coordinate it with the transporters. It won't be the lightest .. but it won't be the heaviest either and it will suit the conditions and be serviceable.
I like the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid. Works for me (it has too :oops: ).

Google 'Overland Track hire gear' and you'll have some of them..
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Emma,

The reality is that most, if not all, of these UL tent designs (SoLong 6 included) are all variations on the same theme - single skin tarps, shaped to shed wind ( a bit), with nets and floor attached for convenience and comfort. Some have cuben options if youre loaded enough to spend twice as much for a tent that lasts half as long and saves you about a mars bar in weight. Otherwise, theyre pretty much all around about 1kg for 1.5-2 person size, and 6-800g for single person designs.

All will be fine for the Overland, and indeed almost all trails in Australia, and most of the world, IF you have the knowledge and experience to pitch them appropriately for the conditions at the time. Most of the time, this will be as simple as just finding a flat spot with peg space. Every so often, it will be knowing what direction to face the door. And, maybe one or two nights a season, it will mean you need to know that tonight is a night you need to camp in a valley with a good windbreak. ( Unless you own a TrailStar, in which case you just dont bother looking at weather forecasts ever again.)

In your case, I'd be looking at practical features - do you want something easy and fast to put up (TarpTent Moment, anyone)? Or do you want a nice vestibule because youre one of those people who likes packs and boots outside? Is it freestanding for use on rock, sand and hard platforms, or are you looking for something with hiking pole supports? Do you want privacy, or good view outward of the surrounds? Do you need good snow-loading? Do you like headroom, or does having a cosy tunnel-cave tent help you sleep better ? And of course, there's always cost.

I think the biggest decision you have to make is whether to go full solo tent, or buy a 2-person unit on the assumption you will usually hike with a partner. Both have merits.

How many extend hikes (3+ days) have you done so far and were they on your own?
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Franco » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 8:37 am

"Do you want something easy and fast to put up (TarpTent Moment, anyone)? Or do you want a nice vestibule because youre one of those people who likes packs and boots outside?"
You can have both with the Moment DW by adjusting the sliding floor.
You choose if you prefer a larger vestibule or a larger floor area.
mtdw-5.jpg
mtdw-5.jpg (62.5 KiB) Viewed 15597 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 10:55 am

Franco wrote:"Do you want something easy and fast to put up (TarpTent Moment, anyone)? Or do you want a nice vestibule because youre one of those people who likes packs and boots outside?"
You can have both with the Moment DW by adjusting the sliding floor.
You choose if you prefer a larger vestibule or a larger floor area.
mtdw-5.jpg

Noo, stoppit.

I don't want one. I don't want one. I don't need two tents. I don't want one...
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 11:04 am

jdeks wrote:I don't want one. I don't want one. I don't need two tents. I don't want one...

You don't need two tents??!! :shock: (Says she who recently added a Moment DW to her collection. :) )
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby jdeks » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 11:06 am

You're all terrible influences you lot!
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 11:43 am

Edit: Sorry to hijack your thread, Emma. I'll stop now.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 4:17 pm

Right yes, on topic.

Considered a Trailstar?? :D
Attachments
signal-2017-10-07-003907.jpeg
signal-2017-10-07-003940.jpeg
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnabrother » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 2:52 pm

It will be fine.. we saw people with $99 Kmart tents on the track. Some (most) of the platforms are reasonably sheltered and if it really sucks, leave before the masses and get a bunk in a hut..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 7:12 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:
The "but" is the pack is made for a man, and the straps may be awkward on the female bust is my main concern.

I don't have experience with that particular pack, but for my lighter pack, I chose a men's pack also. I have been very pleased with it, however, like the pack that you link to, my pack also has elastic toggles for water bottles on the shoulder straps.
I loved the idea of chucking my two bottles there and thought it would nearly have a bit of an 'Aarn effect' by bringing some of my weight forward thus making the whole set up more ergonomic. Those little toggles were something that helped sway my purchase. Alas, I forgot about the fact that two other things that aren't water bottles already occupy my chest! The idea simply does not translate well for a woman's anatomy. Other than no water bottles on front, I find it a very comfortable pack, as much or more so than my women-specific pack. I think as long as the shoulder straps are not overly straight, that most packs work well enough as unisex so no reason the one you link to shouldn't serve you well.
Planning a walk is such fun, isn't it? I even enjoy reading of others' prepping for their walks :lol: I look forward to hearing how your plans all come together.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 10:46 am

UPDATE:

I bought my Overland Track pass and Tas Parks pass! So I'm seriously committed now.

And I got a Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 on the clearance sale yesterday 4th July for US $175, and mine was a sample in a new sil-polyester fabric - with no imperfections. (The SoLong tents normally retail at $295. Their sale - started yesterday - is of Seconds and Samples, many with very little wrong with them, and most at $200.) The SoLong 6 is designed for 1 person but can fit 2 people - but you'd want that person to be an intimate friend or close family member. Otherwise better to go with the Duo tent.

SWITCH TO POLYESTER
This may be of interest to some of you - Judy (the owner of Lightheart Gear) tells me she is switching all tents from sil-nylon to sil-polyester over the next year. She's started with the Firefly tents. Next will come the Duo tents in a few months time. And then next year the SoLong 6 tents will be polyester. I believe she's going for a 20 Denier sil-poly.

Now I'm really a fan of this idea, coming from a design background.

NYLON vs POLYESTER

Sil-nylon isn't great in wet weather. It sags. You have to readjust the tension of your tent. The water adds weight to the tent, including packed up wet and put in your pack - you're carrying extra weight of that water. Mike Cecot-Scherer from The Tent Lab (of Deuce of Spades trowel, and Moonlight tents) says that nylon expands 3.5% when wet. On a 120 inch (305 cm) length tent, that's 4 inches (10.16 cm) that your tent has expanded by.

Sil-polyester doesn't expand when wet. (It absorbs only a few tenths of a percent water and doesn't seem to grow or shrink at all.) As it absorbs less water, it dries faster. Which means if you are packing up in the morning after rain overnight, your polyester tent will have less water and less weight, and will dry faster.

So the sample tent I bought at the sale is one of the first sil-polyester samples Judy made for the SoLong 6 tent, which won't be available in polyester until 2019. However it's a 30 Denier rather than the 20 Denier she'll run them in, which means it's slightly heavier, weighing 0.96 kg. However I think it should also be more durable, perform better in rain. I also opted for the carbon fibre awning pole which is another 22 grams, as I think it's a nice feature of the tent.

If my sister decides to come with me on the Overland Track, I can either squish us into the SoLong 6 on standard mats, or take the Sierra Designs Flash 2 FL and split the weight between us. And if I'm going by myself, I'll take the SoLong 6 to lighten my load by 880 grams differential weight.

If any of you are wanting to look at the sale items - there are some cheap hiking skirts etc, as well as "seconds" tents, the clearance sale is here: https://lightheartgear.com/collections/clearance-sale

I'm also a big fan of Tarptent brand of tents, and ZPacks if I had the money for a cuban fibre tent to really save maximum weight - but ZPacks tents are beyond my budget for the amount of use I would get out of it, as a city-dweller who only gets out so often for hikes.

Best,

Emma

(Images of tent are from Lightheart Gear - not my own. I will post photos of my Sale Sample 30D polyester SoLong 6 tent once it arrives in Australia)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 10.49.30 am.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 10.49.30 am.png (322.17 KiB) Viewed 15363 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 10.47.31 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 10.47.31 pm.png (292.93 KiB) Viewed 15363 times
Last edited by emma_melbourne on Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 8:38 am

Sounds like the Winter Of Discount Tents.
RE: silnylon vs Polyester
Polyester by itself is not very tear proof and that is one reason why it is not used by the better brands, however it is very cheap compared to silnylon.
The buzz fabric now is silpoly, that is polyester coated with silicone (typically on the topside*)
At Tarptent we keep testing fabrics, have tested several types of silpoly but haven't found one that we like (so far...) .

* the odd bit is that silicone will increase the tear strength but then some have PU added on the underside (so that it can be taped) and that reduces the tear strength considerably by concentrating the stress point on a confined area unlike silnylon that tends to spread that out.

This is a comment from a BackpackingLight member, posted a few days ago :
It rained over night. I shook it out a few good shakes. Put it in plastic bag until back home.

0.93 silpoly RSBTR

wet weight 20.8 ounces

weight after it dried thoroughly 13.8 ounces

I think that’s about the same as silnylon
Last edited by Franco on Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 9:32 am

I just got some Sil/PU Poly ripstop to make a tent fly and the fabric differences are confusing but really interesting. By the specs poly seems to be a better material in many regards, my biggest concern was that not many manufacturers are using it.

I'll be very interested to see how you like the tent and how it performs.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 10:24 am

@Franco Yes - my sample tent is sil-polyester 30 Denier. (I have updated / edited prior post to add "sil" for clarity, and my apologies if I confused you.)

I believe the new specs of Lightheart Gear's tents are going to be like the Firefly tent in camouflage colour, which is the first tent to have the new fabric only in camouflage option thus far. The specs are:
20D micro-ripstop polyester, silicone coated both sides, 3000mm HH.

There is a very interesting page by Mike Cecot-Scherer of Tent Labs, who designed the Moonlight tents but also has worked as designer or co-designer on a large number of tents by various brands, here:

POLYESTER VS NYLON: http://thetentlab.com/MoonLightTents/PolyNyl.html

He makes some points for why use of sil-nylon persists, despite sil-polyester being better (in his view) for lightweight tent application, and better particularly for not sagging and expanding when wet:

* EMPHASIS ON LOW WEIGHT ABOVE ANY OTHER CONSIDERATION
Nylon is available in lower denier specs for ultralight application - 7D, 10D, 15D which weighs less than the lowest denier polyester which is 20D polyester.

* RISK OF COLOUR TRANSFER
Dark colour with white colour, can have risk of colour transfer. (I know from manufacturing baby sun protection swimsuits that this is the case with polyester compared to nylon and adding chlorine and/or salt water.)

Mike's main point about the way sil nylon compares with sil polyester in tents is made in his Youtube video where he wets out tents made in both types of fabrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cc3lOTyTYQ

I have a bit of a sense of the different fabrics from having worked on design of baby swimsuits. These were not sil nylon and sil polyester, but high spec Italian swimsuit fabrics of same brand available in nylon and polyester, and they did perform quite differently. So I have an idea of what Mike is referring to, intuitively from my past proximity to these fibres, and having a design background.

It seems as though Judy has got a sil polyester which she now prefers to the sil nylon and is moving all her tents over to, gradually, using up existing fabric stocks first and setting up for in the new factory currently being built. She also seems to have got the weight superior now to sil nylon, because her Firefly tents are showing the two fabrics (sil-nylon vs new camouflage colour sil-polyester) is:
Weight; Silnylon – 29 oz. Sil-Polyester -27.5 oz (before Seam sealing)

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby emma_melbourne » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 12:27 pm

@Franco

I'm slow - I only just got your joke / pun, on "Winter of Discontent" / "Winter of Discount Tents", lol. Very good! Sorry I'm so slow. It was a goodie.

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 1:30 pm

That joke is older than me and I was born a century ago.
I should use the Dad Joke emoticon but I don't do those.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment