Southern Ranges info.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Southern Ranges info.

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:14 am

At the first hint of some clear spring weather I would like to take a walk along the southern Ranges taking in a few side trips along the way. My knowledge of this area is pretty limited so I would like to know what are side trips, campsites etc that people familiar with the area might recommend?
I would also like to know how difficult the route finding/scrub bashing is between Pindars and PB. Obviously crap weather and limited visibility create increased navigational challenges so I'm just talking in terms of clear to average conditions.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

AL
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Southern Ranges info.

Postby stepbystep » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:49 am

Hey Mech-Al

There is exposed camping everywhere from Hill 1 Pigsty, obvs it's the windiest place ON EARTH :wink: so sometimes shelter is super important. There's good sheltered sites near Reservoir Lakes.

Sidetrips to Moores Garden, The Hippo, La Perouse, Pindars, VC are all highly recommended....the area is worth multiple visits. Route finding is easy all the way through...it's a little vague in the forest off PB but not difficult if you pay attention. I walked between La Perouse and Ooze Lake in -10, windy, snow everywhere, clagged in and still found nav easy.

There are several areas with sensitive vegetation so it's worth being mindful of that when camping or walking off track.

It's a remote area that cops the worst weather so full 4 season prep necessary. The conditions I described were in November or December...can PM more details if needed.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:58 am

Looks like I should get a wriggle on to finally finish my Southern Ranges report...
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 12:04 pm

I think the place where people have the most issues is at Leaning Tea Tree Saddle. I think it just pays to walk through the clearing on the pad first before sitting down for a break, that way you don't get confused by all the other pads in the area. I've known of people that camped here, but I'd advise pushing on to Wylly Plateau if you have the time, it is much nicer there.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 5:01 pm

Pandani Knob can be confusing whichever direction you're going. Otherwise, if you're going right through the easiest spot to loose the route as at PB Low Camp, where there's a jink to the left that is not at all obvious.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 6:59 pm

Tortoise wrote:Looks like I should get a wriggle on to finally finish my Southern Ranges report...

Yes please Tortoise........you can be assured your efforts will be appreciated !!
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 7:14 pm

The Abels book has good info as does Chapman's SW Tasmania guide book. Chapman's breaks up the stages day by day and is fairly accurate.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 7:57 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote:
Tortoise wrote:Looks like I should get a wriggle on to finally finish my Southern Ranges report...

Yes please Tortoise........you can be assured your efforts will be appreciated !!

Hi Al,
Been a few months coming - more a book than a report. :roll: But it will include some extremes of Weather, and there will be some photos. I'm away for a few days, staying indoors (!) between day walks. Hoping to finish it off. :)
And we only went as far as Pindars, so I'm sorry it won't include the bits you really want.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks all for your knowledge.
I have already devoured the Abels information and Chapmans book as well.
SBS kindly provided me with a bit of first hand info that wasn't covered in either of these.
Tortoises upcoming novel sounds really interesting and i'm looking forward to it.

As usual the fickle S.W. weather will once again be the biggest variable...........
Can't wait to get amongst it again !!!
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes