Wacaco Minipresso portable espresso

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Wacaco Minipresso portable espresso

Postby Aushiker » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 5:09 pm

I don't think I have seen these mentioned before but interested if anyone is using one of these Wacaco Minipresso portable espresso machines? I could cope with one of the pod versions I reckon for a half decent coffee in the morning.

A review of same can be found at the Bushwalking Blog

A quick search found the Nesspresso version locally for $54.00.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Wacaco Minipresso portable espresso

Postby Lamont » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 5:34 pm

Hmm quite long, 350grams and pods to be rid of... I suppose tho' if you are carrying a chunky rucksack and a bit of weight, you wouldn't even notice this in there.
I believe this (or something like it) has has come up on BW.com before.
If you have milk (powder) with your coffee in the morning (and any other time) the one I linked (somewhere on here ?) for about $20 which is smaller lighter and cheaper, would suffice easily.
For short black lovers -the Coffee looks alright tho'!
I don't know any other short black lovers, everyone seems to drown their coffee in milk.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby andrewa » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 6:35 pm

I've got one, and use it with grounds. Even with the larger reservoir, it's still only a small cup of coffee, and there's a fair bit of fluffing around making it.

I'm back to cowboy coffee in the bush ( grounds chucked in to billy of boiling water, taken off heat, stirred, left to sit for a few minutes, pot hit with spoon to precipitate grounds out on bottom, then slowly and carefully decanted). Much easier.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby CraigVIC » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:48 pm

andrewa wrote:I'm back to cowboy coffee in the bush ( grounds chucked in to billy of boiling water, taken off heat, stirred, left to sit for a few minutes, pot hit with spoon to precipitate grounds out on bottom, then slowly and carefully decanted). Much easier.

A

What's a rough guide on how much coffee to use for this method to make a strong cuppa? More than what you'd put in the home espresso for a cup?

I've been using the teabag style coffee bags by Timms. They're convenient, but they make a very depressing brew. I'm ready to try something else
CraigVIC

Postby Watertank » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 3:55 pm

Aeropress is my recommendation- see http://www.aeropress.com.au
You can get metal reusable filters- no use of pods - fab coffee- I should know, I live in Melbourne!
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 6:44 pm

We use one and have purchased refillable pods for ours. If you use the disposable pods, you get better results if you pierce the lid with the tip of a knife a few times before inserting. (like a serial murderer, according to my spouse and official domestic barista)
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Region: Tasmania

Postby casey79 » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 10:21 am

Been using the non pod minipresso for a year now. Its uses ground and it makes a great espresso creme and all!!
casey79
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby oldpiscator » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:39 pm

Had my non-pod minipresso for 2 years. Make a good, but very small, espresso. I preheat the unit with hot water before making the coffee.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby george013 » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 11:35 am

I have a nanopresso and a Aeropress and for hiking I would take Areopress but if I want espresso on a picnic, the nanopresso is AWESOME!
george013
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment