What sleeping pad do you use?/wide pad suggestions?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: What sleeping pad do you use?/wide pad suggestions?

Postby Neo » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 6:40 pm

I agree. Sleep comfort is worth the weight! Can't yet justify the new Helinox cot, not yet... :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 9:55 pm

threshold wrote:What sleeping pad do people use?
I need a wide pad suggestion which hopefully weighs 3 grams or less.

This is the only piece of kit that keeps me up at night! :lol:
Literally.

I had a regular and short xlite, both were too narrow and slippy. I have a klymit static V which is ok, but not super comfy, even tried a ccf naturehike z lite copy.

I'm looking into the nemo tensor 25r, looks good, but they all do on paper. Any other suggestions for something comfy, lightish, stable, wide and hopefully not expensive. ( Ive spent too much on unusable gear already.)
Go to kmart. Buy a yoga mat. Use it till it gets shredded and unusable. Then go back to one you have used before. It will have improved dramatically.
When it loses its comfort. Repeat above. [WINKING FACE]
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby gingerninja » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 9:25 am

Any opinions on sleeping mat length? I like the look of the neoair xlite but the small seems too short at 119cm and the reg at 183cm seems good but weighs more, I'm 176cm btw & mostly sleep on my side.

Trying to be UL but not sure that the short will long enough for decent sleep, should I get the reg or even women's that seems to come in a 168cm?
gingerninja
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr
Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 10:19 am

Hi, for me the thickness of the air mattress is more important than the length for a comfortable sleep. I don't mind if my feet are off the end. For cold ground just add my piece of ccf sit pad at the foot end.

Currently have an Exped Synmat UL S (small) 168cm and matching pillow. With the pillow tucked into the sleeping bag hood and off the end of the mat, turns out my heels/body are on the mat i.e. it's long enough for me ~190cm tall.

Previously liked my Nemo short mat ~120cm ~250g and small as a Coke can, until it sprung multiple holes. Will have another go at fixing it, consider buying it again or lash out on the Neoair version next time I need a new mat.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gingerninja » Sat 11 Aug, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks Neo, do you attach the pillow to the sleeping mat by some means? Not something I'd thought of but would certainly increase the effective length.
gingerninja
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr
Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 10:21 am

No I put it in the hood of the bag, my feather bag has a toggle and the hood can be cinched up pretty tight.

Tried the pillow on top of the mat or half off (to fit in the head-neck gap) but it would inevitably shift in the night and give a really bad neck kink.

The Exped pillow does have a tab and hole either side for tying on somehow. Most air pillows probably do.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 10:36 am

As a side sleeper .. the pillow height is not sufficient if it is off the mat, unless I have something else under it.
The air pillow I have has no straps .. but I don't find myself off the pillow despite rolling around as I do. If I found that a problem then I'd think about some Velcro on both mat and pillow - alternate loop and hook so the ones on the mat lock together when packed - same on the pillow. That way you don't get problems with the hook picking up things.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 1:35 pm

I use an exped simlite 3.8 in wide size(65cm), being large, aka 115kg and 6'3" . 50cm mats I couldn't handle also never found air mattresses comfortable which is probably not size related just personal. I don't need the length for legs so much as the poster above says, keeping my pillow( or bundle of clothes) on the mat as well for height when side sleeping is more important. This mat has deflated twice, one user error, I let a grass seed spear through it when I took it out of the tent at one point. Three years later it now has a very slow leak, which I will get around to addressing at some point.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Equipment