Road trip to Uluru and back

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Road trip to Uluru and back

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 1:46 pm

In March or April of 2019
We may or may not be taking the small trailer for the gear.
I'm just wondering how much extra gear for the car I need to plan for not having driven in the Centre for several decades. I know the road is bitumen sealed all the way and the Kia is new so I don't feel the need to buy a second full sized spare but the vehicles fuel tank is quite small for the size of the car and range is only 700/750 klicks when fully laden and/or towing and using the air-conditioner on high.
In my youth I would never have left town without a full 1000klicks of worst case fuel in the ute and a weeks supply of drinking water for 2
However given the amount of traffic on the road these days and the reliability of modern cars I am questioning my old thinking. Would 10 litres of diesel be sufficient reserve these days? The Kia gets about 12 klicks per litre working hard and about 15 when not fully loaded. Asking because while I have plenty of jerry cans they are all painted red for petrol and in this instance I'm prepared to buy new Yellow plastic units and there is little price difference between a 10 and a 20 litre container but the bigger one takes up double the space and space is limited if we don't take the trailer
Last edited by Moondog55 on Sun 09 Sep, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Road rip to Uluru and back

Postby GBW » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 2:22 pm

A quick google search and found this Moondog. Has some info on fuel/distance/stops...

http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/drivi ... ings.html/
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 2:24 pm

It's a lot more civilised out there than it used to be. I wouldn't worry about carrying spare fuel, just fill up as required given that (from memory) the road houses are about 200km apart and there is plenty of traffic. 20 litres of water should be ample.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 3:19 pm

Depends on the route to some extent.
I'm much like you and would always carry at least two jerries of fuel and 40l of water, but most people don't bother.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 4:08 pm

Mark I'd always carry 5l for a signal beacon, if we don't need more tho I guess the same goes for all the recovery gear we used to carry around. If we take the trailer I might then add in at least 10 litres but no more
Last edited by Moondog55 on Sat 08 Sep, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 5:39 pm

In a small Kia you are not going to be off the black top so not much different to driving up the Hume to Sydney. The thing I learnt was to potter along at around 90-100kph and not try to imitate the Cannonball Run - helps with the fuel economy, limits overheating of the tyres etc. I also did a heap of dirt road/4wd track driving in my Forester again quite slowly - a loop around the East McDonalds (Box Hole Crater, Tower Rock, Binns Track, Arltunga, N'Dhala Gorge) Then Roma Gorge, Mereenie Loop, Painted Desert and Oodnadatta Track, Arkaroola and though to Broken Hill. For this you do need spare tyres, snatch straps, spare engine hoses, plenty of water, emergency communications etc. although I only had one puncture.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 5:49 pm

New Sorrento so pretty big; Cecile won't want to leave the bitumen but I'd be happy to duplicate that route Mark
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 6:05 pm

It's probably autocorrect, but they're the East MacDonnells.
That's the second time today I've come across that particular misspelling.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 8:34 pm

I'll second what MarkF said. If you wouldn't take spare fuel on the Hume Hwy, don't take it to Uluru. It's just clutter.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:47 pm

But I do take a jerry can up the Hume, well at least when going up thesnow.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 10:40 am

The longest stretch between fuel stops is Glendambo-Coober Pedy, around 250km.

Some of the tap water at roadhouses/campgrounds, if you're planning to use them, is a bit ordinary. Glendambo from memory used to be quite salty. And you might find there's limited access to taps where you can fill up a large container. So to avoid buying water at exorbitant prices, it may pay to take some extra.

Aside from that..... you'll be disappointed at how "crowded" the route is these days.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 11:13 am

Other people have warned me to expect crowds but that seems to be Australia all over just now. We had planned to take a large water filter but that won't help with the salt problem. When I lived in Adelaide we often bought bottled water in summer because of the heavy salt and chlorine load , Nothing was as good as tea made with pure water when compared to the thin mud coming out of the taps there in the middle of summer.
OK A few extra cardboard cartons of water added to the shopping list
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 12:02 pm

Personally I would add Kings Canyon to your trip even if it means a day or two less spent at Uluru seeing you are in the area. We did 3 days/4 nights at Uluru getting maximum value out of the 3 day pass. The Rim walk at Kings Canyon was my favourite with Kata Tjuta second although Uluru was also wonderful.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 12:56 pm

A decade and a bit back I drove the family in a campervan from Alice to Uluru and back. Roads where good all the way. Just to be safe I didn't let the fuel gauge get below 1/2 but this was over cautious, as mentioned earlier you are never more than a couple of hundred k's from a fuel stop.

Always crowds at Uluru and lots of big Dingoes hanging around the camp ground so put your food away at night. Didn't have any problems with the water at Yulara, I believe it is all bore water. Boil water if you want to, we didn't and none of us died.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 12:57 pm

Mark F wrote:Personally I would add Kings Canyon to your trip even if it means a day or two less spent at Uluru seeing you are in the area. We did 3 days/4 nights at Uluru getting maximum value out of the 3 day pass. The Rim walk at Kings Canyon was my favourite with Kata Tjuta second although Uluru was also wonderful.

Yes, Watarrka is worth the extra distance, and you can go from there to Alice via the West Macs. While the Mereenie Loop road is gravel, it's generally in reasonable condition.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Road trip to Uluru and back

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:10 am

The water filter I mentioned is a Brita, for taste reasons not because I'd be worried about bio-contamination. We will be taking along a trailer for this trip, mainly so we can put in the comfortable chairs and take along a decent sized stove for cooking.
Not sure yet about the timing, fast drive there and dawdle back would be my preferred but we only have 2 weeks
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks