Too snowy to do the Crinoline/Tamboritha loop?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Too snowy to do the Crinoline/Tamboritha loop?

Postby stevage » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi,
Planning to do the Crinoline/Tamboritha loop walk next weekend. Breakfast Creek, up to the Crinoline, along Long Hill, then over Mt Tamboritha and down the McMillan's Walking Track. I haven't been up to that area in winter, and trying to get an idea of how much snow is likely to be there atm.

The highest point is just over 1500m, and I'm guessing there will be fairly solid snow down to maybe 1400m, which will make a few kilometres of snow hiking, which I'm ok with. Going early in the season is appealing because there are so many reports of people running out of water when it gets dry. But I see some forecasts suggesting there could be snow falling down to 1000m which is slightly alarming. (OTOH, the daytime temperatures are supposedly up to 13C...)

Has anyone been up there recently? Am I way off with my assessment? Does this sound like a terrible idea?

Thanks!
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Too snowy to do the Crinoline/Tamboritha loop?

Postby CaptainC » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 8:07 pm

I haven't been up there for months but there is reported to be about 30 cm snow at Mt Baw Baw/ St Gwinear. However the Mt Tamboritha / Crinoline area is usually less snow than further north. The old rule used to be that if you could see snow on the Crinoline there would be too much snow to do the trip. Of course that requires you to drive up first.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Too snowy to do the Crinoline/Tamboritha loop?

Postby stevage » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:01 am

Ok, thanks, that's helpful. Yeah, if there is snow at the Crinoline (1150m) that bodes pretty badly for the rest of the trip! Not to mention the challenge of actually getting over that summit with snow on it...
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria