Southern Grampians - Which 3 Day circuit?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Southern Grampians - Which 3 Day circuit?

Postby OllieVic » Mon 24 Sep, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at trying out one of the circuits in the Southern Grampians maybe in November. Trying to decide between the Fortress Thackeray circuit or the Major Mitchell Plateau. Also are either of these easier in terms or getting water or places for dropping water off. Appreciate any advice from people who have experience on these circuits.

Cheers
Ollie
OllieVic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Southern Grampians - Which 3 Day circuit?

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 2:26 pm

I did the MM a couple of weeks ago. If you can get down there now there's plenty of water and it's a fantastic walk. I can't think how you could do a useful water drop for the MM for the plateau crossing. Once down you could leave water at Jimmy Creek easily (there's also tanks).
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Eremophila » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:49 pm

Mt Thackeray campsite is accessible by car if you have a 4WD. Otherwise there are a couple of small streams near Deep Creek/Fortress campsites which may still be flowing in November. When I say "flowing" I mean trickling, don't expect cascades.
Eremophila

Postby peregrinator » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:51 pm

Ollie, I don't know what distances and pack weights you are comfortable with, but in my opinion the Fortress/Thackeray circuit is short enough (32 km) to mean you can carry whatever water you'll need from the start. No need to re-supply, except perhaps in the hottest summer conditions, which you probably won't experience in November.

For the Major Mitchell plateau, you could stash water at the Mt William carpark. Would you be planning a circuit via Ingleton Track, or doing a car shuffle (Sheep Hills/Jimmy Creek)?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria