Faulconbridge to Grose river & beyond ?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Faulconbridge to Grose river & beyond ?

Postby oldlock » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 5:54 pm

Today I walked the trail from Faulconbridge to Grose river (and back). The pool is without doubt a great spot although the fire trail / track in is a little dull.

Is there an established trail from the pool onwards ? I had a little scout around while there but nothing really sprang to the eye.

IMG_20181001_100503.jpg
oldlock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Faulconbridge to Grose river & beyond ?

Postby ribuck » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:41 am

It's walkable in both directions, but you'll only find remnants of the original track. The South bank provides the best walking. Consider every rock ledge, but only follow the ones that end up somewhere useful like the start of the next rock ledge.

Wentworth Cave makes a nice upstream destination.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby oldlock » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 5:57 am

Thanks - how far to wentworth cave ?
oldlock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Warin » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 9:22 am

oldlock wrote:Thanks - how far to wentworth cave ?

~4.7+ km along the river .. ~3.8 km as the crow flies.

It is in OSM https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-33.5977/150.5648
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 10:42 pm

Warin wrote:
oldlock wrote:Thanks - how far to wentworth cave ?

~4.7+ km along the river .. ~3.8 km as the crow flies.

It is in OSM https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-33.5977/150.5648

Not sure if you are referring to wentworth cave being in OSM, or the engineers track? If the later, I am pretty sure the the remnants of the engineers track are all on the south bank and the dotted line in OSM that looks like it would be a track is actually marking the boundary between the Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury LGAs.

I did the section between Linden Creek and Wentworth Cave last weekend (descended via Faulconbridge ridge, then camping on wentworth creek and returning via Linden Ridge next day). It took me about 2 hours from the base of Faulconbridge ridge to the cave. The cave itself is not especially impressive, but was an enjoyable and challenging trip overall.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Xplora » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 7:25 am

The tendency is to walk close to the river but the track is higher most of the time. If you lose it then walk up or near the escarpment and you may pick it up again. But that will be the way for a while heading east until a km or so before Burralow creek. From there the track should be better defined.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Warin » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 8:54 am

jonnosan wrote:
Warin wrote:

Not sure if you are referring to wentworth cave being in OSM, or the engineers track?

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to Wentworth Cave.

----------------
I have just added to OSM some of these creek names, some cliffs and some peak/hills in the area. If your planning to walk in some area then adding things into OSM well before you go there means you should then have a better map on your smart phone while there. Takes about 2 months for changes to go through for some of the maps but then planning and mapping are part of the trip and add to your knowledge when you go.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby clarence » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 10:22 am

I walked the Grose from Claustral Canyon through to the Nepean River many years ago.

Previous posts are correct about the location of Engineers Track- it is generally a bit higher up the slope on the south side and not there for the whole distance.

It is indistinct in many places.

Beautiful part of the world.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby oldlock » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll explore further afield next time I'm down there.
oldlock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Wollemi » Thu 04 Oct, 2018 7:17 pm

jonnosan wrote: ...camping on wentworth creek and returning via Linden Ridge next day). It took me about 2 hours from the base of Faulconbridge ridge to the cave. The cave itself is not especially impressive, but was an enjoyable and challenging trip overall.

How did walking Linden Ridge go for you? - it is all overgrown now, bad enough to need gloves and long pants. I mtb'd it with ease in 1995.

The first time I visited Wentworth Cave, I did not believe we were there as I could not see anything that looked like a cave... with a hole to step into or a tunnel-like formation. It is an impressive, tall, 'leaning' overhang.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Sat 06 Oct, 2018 9:44 pm

Wollemi wrote:How did walking Linden Ridge go for you? - it is all overgrown now, bad enough to need gloves and long pants. I mtb'd it with ease in 1995.

I came up the western ridge (after camping at about 723804), was a little scrubby and viney to start but then nice open gum forest till I got to the upper cliffline. It took me a while to find a way up - I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without a handline although probably folks who are fitter could do so. Once on the top it was scrubby in spots but mostly I was able to link up sections of rock platforms (a few of which had some little water catchments). I followed the old road cutting whenever it was clear but yeah it's pretty overgrown out the northern end. from spot height 485 (708745) onwards it seems to be pretty well used still on bike and on foot.
jonnosan

Return to New South Wales & ACT