Hannel's Spur

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hannel's Spur

Postby Road-Runner » Fri 28 Sep, 2018 5:27 pm

I'm guessing I won't get too many replies to this one, as I'm certainly not a serious walker. Going back about 15 years ago, I walked Hannel's Spur from Geehi to Thredbo, twice (about a year apart). I didn't have to worry about navigation, as I did it with a mate who was an experienced walker. We watched the weather (forecast) closely, and did the walk in autumn (both times), so the weather was close to perfect.

At the ripe old age of 60, I'm keen to do it again (for the last time), but without the necessary navigation skills, I need some lunatic who knows what they're doing, to come with me! The only other option is to do it myself, using GPS navigation - which I know nothing about (but how hard can it be? LOL). Even though I can't remember the last time I did a "proper" walk, I go running just about every day - I did a respectable half marathon last Sunday. So my fitness and health is pretty good for an old bloke.
The only other decent walks I've done - Bon Accord Track from Harrietville to Hotham (twice) and Bogong. I can't see the point of driving a long way to do an easy walk!

I live in northern Victoria, not far from Echuca.

Cheers :)
Road-Runner
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: N/A
Region: Victoria

Re: Hannel's Spur

Postby north-north-west » Sat 29 Sep, 2018 10:54 am

Hannels is not subject to regular maintenance and thus its condition is probably a lot less friendly than when you last did it. Thehre has been some work done in the last year but there is still a significant proportion that is very rough, overgrown and hard to navigate.
You might get a taker if you post the query in the NSW section but, if no-one wants to go with you, I strongly advise against trying it solo in its current state.

ps: Running and a big climb like Hannels are two different things. It's a very long daywalk, and a lot slower and harder if you're hauling the gear to overnight.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Tue 02 Oct, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi Road-Runner,

You will find a recent report here http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27627&p=360511&hilit=hannels#p360511
Lots of photos in a link here https://imgur.com/gallery/ROz42
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Wed 03 Oct, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi Road runner. I walked it in April. I can send you my GPS file if you want. My pictures and report were kindly shared by Crollsurf above. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales & ACT