First overnight walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

First overnight walk

Postby mikeyandmary » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 12:24 am

Hi everyone,

My son (8yo) and I have enjoyed a number of day walks and are looking for recommendations for our first overnight walk. We live in the upper Blue Mountains. I was thinking either a walk from Blackheath into Blue Gum Forest or walking part of the Six Foot Track.

mikeyandmary
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: First overnight walk

Postby LachlanB » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:23 am

Both are definitely options, but what day walks have you done? Not being nosy, but just trying to get a better idea of what might suit you both :)
Also, do you have a tent, or would you be looking for camping caves?
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 4:55 pm

It's quite a climb up from Blue Gum forest for some 8 year olds.

How about the little camping area below Ruined Castle? Then you can leave your packs and scramble around the castle for a bit.

The first overnight that I did with my young children was down Bob Turners Track to the Colo River, camping on the sand. It was a great trip.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby davidf » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 5:00 pm

The grose from Blackheath is perfect. You can't get lost. The river is a great playground. Most of the six foot track is a boring slog. In out from Carlons farm into breakfast creek is easier walking hill wise and would fit the bill. For and the kids amusement a backyard practise camp could be a good idea/fun for both of you. Start the kid right, there is no need for a tent in the blue mountains. A cheap flat tarp is fine.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 10:15 am

I'm also in the upper mountains, with kids a few years older than yours. Blue Gum can be a good starter for adults but it is a very big steep climb out, which might be not much fun for kids. I personally haven't taken my kids there yet because I didn't want to the climb out to put them off any further walks.

Here's some of the spots my kids have enjoyed:
1) Girraween Cave (near Ikara Head) - the track in is not shown on the topo, might be in openstreetmaps, can give detailed track notes if you want. It's 1-2 hr walk in (depending how many times you stop to look at the view) pretty flat, the cave is just a long overhang but will keep the rain off, there is a little creek that seems to always have water, and lots of interesting pagodas and rock formations nearby to explore.
2) The section of the 6 foot track from Megalong Valley Road down to the Cox's river. You can either bring a tent, or get cheap accommodation (also food and a beer) at the 6 foot track eco lodge. Note that the campsite on the river is accessible by car, so if you camp there you may end up having neighbours who view a boom box,a keg and card table as essential camping artefacts. From road to river would be 2-3 hrs each way.
3) Mt Solitary (in and out from Golden Stairs) - it's only half the total vertical of Blue Gum. Plus if on the way out you think your son is getting too tired to make the climb up, you can just stop at Ruined Castle as suggested by ribuck. Should be water at ruined castle campsite, but don't rely on getting water on Solitary itself.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jonnosan » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 10:27 am

just remembered another great easy overnighter for kids, although an hour or so drive to the start and you will probably want AWD or 4WD to get there - Deep Pass in Wollemi - 1 hr easy walk in, then a heap of things to explore including a a very easy slot canyon, lots of boulders and pagodas, the 'split rock' . There will probably also be other kids for you son to play with.

This would be my #1 recommendation in fact, followed by Girraween Cave.
jonnosan

Postby mikeyandmary » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 1:36 pm

LachlanB wrote:Both are definitely options, but what day walks have you done? Not being nosy, but just trying to get a better idea of what might suit you both :)
Also, do you have a tent, or would you be looking for camping caves?

Hi Lachlan,

Thanks for your reply. Our travel history is probably best described as a lot of 4WD travelling and day walks and we are now looking to add overnight bushwalking to our travels.

We have done a number of the walks around Wentworth Falls and have done day walks (camper trailer based camping) at Kanangra Walls, Lithgow/Newnes and Turon River. Our walks so far have ranged from 1-2 hours to a bit over 4 hours. He has enjoyed the steep and rocky walks we have done so far. I have done the overnight walk to Blue Gum Forest (not with kids) before. If we did the Blue Gum Forest walk I would do it as a day walk with him into the forest and back from Blackheath as a tester.

We have a light tent to carry and have used the tent before but driven to the campsite rather than walked in.

MIchael
mikeyandmary
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT