The new plague ? Portable bluetooth speakers on hikes

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: The new plague ? Portable bluetooth speakers on hikes

Postby Orion » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 9:01 am

Mark F wrote:I see a big market for signal distrupters, especially in the 2.4-2.5 GHz band. Gets Bluetooth, wifi and many drone control signals. Add 5.0-5.8GHz to disrupt video and the other main wifi band.
Make your own - http://www.qrz.ru/schemes/contribute/security/jammers/drone-jammer.pdf

Don't drones go into some sort of safe mode if the signal is disrupted?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby michael_p » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 9:33 am

I believe that some expensive drones do. But most cheap ones probably don't.

I found a drone in local bushland once. Should have seen the owners face when I returned it him and explained that I had worked out where he lived after watching the video footage on the SD card.

As to bluetooth speakers. I haven't had this unpleasant experience yet. I would really have a hard time holding my tongue. Maybe going to out of the way places is the best option.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 11:17 am

Mark F wrote:I see a big market for signal distrupters, especially in the 2.4-2.5 GHz band. Gets Bluetooth, wifi and many drone control signals. Add 5.0-5.8GHz to disrupt video and the other main wifi band.
Make your own - http://www.qrz.ru/schemes/contribute/security/jammers/drone-jammer.pdf

You do realise that you are entering a technological arms race here, right? There'll be cost and weight penalties for both sides. :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wollemi » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 11:53 am

michael_p wrote:As to bluetooth speakers. I haven't had this unpleasant experience yet. I would really have a hard time holding my tongue. Maybe going to out of the way places is the best option.

The second time I kayaked across Bass Strait, we were in the middle of a 12-hour slog from Hunter Island area to KIng Island. Other than us 7 in 6 sea kayaks, there was nothing to look at other than each other due to the prevailing sea-mist and light rain. Suddenly I realised I was listening to the Doobie Brothers - the two inexperienced young guys in the double had a large waterproof speaker system with iPod fitted. I laughed. Never heard music around our various campsites, though.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 12:03 pm

GPSGuided wrote:

You do realise that you are entering a technological arms race here, right? There'll be cost and weight penalties for both sides. :mrgreen:

It may just need an app on your phone as most phones have transmitters for wifi and bluetooth signals. Heads off the secret lab....
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Warin » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 2:34 pm

Mark F wrote:It may just need an app on your phone as most phones have transmitters for wifi and bluetooth signals. Heads off the secret lab....

humm
1 Watt Tx power ..
3.7 v P=EI I=P/E = 1/3.7 = 0.27 amps ... 2Ah battery = 7.4 Hours ... might be achievable without overheating the phones Tx given the talk times are about 8 hours ... umm but that is the cell phone Tx .. the wifi is less ..it is around -30dBm so 60 dB down on what is required.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 6:47 pm

I see a big market for signal disrupters,

Chuckle. In the 70s, when transistor radios were new, my mate was seriously annoyed by a group of teenagers with radios every morning on the rail commute. He rigged up a pulsed transmitter tuned to the pop station in a small suitcase. Press the button, instant silence. After about the 3rd or 4th 'failure' of their radios, they stopped bringing them. It can be done again ...

Technological arms race? They won't know who dunnit.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidf » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 9:24 am

How do you make one for mobile phones. Be so good to stop reception on all public transport. I see people working and once it was just getting ahead, now its an expected workload, i have experienced this, the new sydney trains will have chargers in them so we can be more efficient slaves.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Wed 24 Oct, 2018 11:45 am

davidf wrote:How do you make one for mobile phones.

Personally .. I just turn it off.

Others ... their problem.

----------------
Best not to make one for mobile phones .. too many people use them, so complaints will be high. They will track it using the cell phone towers. And police it.
And there is the possibility you could interfere with a 000 call.

Drones + speakers out in the bush .. too few people and they won't know the cause.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

The new plague ? Portable bluetooth speakers on hikes

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 2:07 am

davidf wrote:How do you make one for mobile phones.

You may be breaking the law here if used in public and unlicensed.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 8:17 pm

Seeing the amazing footage and aerial views of the Vic high country, bush and beaches provided by drones, I thoufht drones were all positive. After having the whine and 'drone' of a drone buzzing on the distance in Vic alps, my family buzzed on several occasions on beaches and campsites accosted from overhead - Im not a fan. Confronting, violating and plain irritating, they seem to drag out my worst. I dont know how to deal with these intrusions appropriately and seek sage advice.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Hallu » Thu 25 Oct, 2018 9:44 pm

Yeah when you hear a drone you immediately feel observed. It's a reminder of those 90's and 2000's spy/escape movies like The Fugitive or Enemy of the State.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 5:55 am

Heremeahappy1 wrote:Im not a fan. Confronting, violating and plain irritating, they seem to drag out my worst. I dont know how to deal with these intrusions appropriately and seek sage advice.

Sage advice? How many, how big, can you win a fight? Weigh up the cost of of an objectionable confrontation in the middle of nowhere.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 5:58 am

I wonder when anti-drone 'guns' will become UL... Still a bit too heavy to carry... Lol

https://thewest.com.au/business/public- ... b88700621z
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 6:49 am

Sling shot would be perfect for the purpose.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 8:16 am

GPSGuided wrote:Sling shot would be perfect for the purpose.

That's what I was thinking as well. All you need is good aim and the ability to run fast. :lol:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 8:36 am

Huntsman247 wrote:I wonder when anti-drone 'guns' will become UL... Still a bit too heavy to carry... Lol

https://thewest.com.au/business/public- ... b88700621z

I want one for Christmas :D :twisted:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby trekker76 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:56 am

Slingshot you'll never hit anything and at range will bounce off most the drones casing anyway. A $350 drone gun for 1kg and 40cm packed length if you have a gun licence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcFpIUHGGZM
:lol:
Joke of course, I'm not advising folks to break laws.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Orion » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:31 am

I don't like those drones. Somebody launched one at Karingana lookout earlier this year. I wished I could hit it with a rock. I was heading down and encountered a couple on the way up asking about the sound. I told them some "díckhead" (the American term for it) was flying a drone. The women told me that in Australia they call them "bogans" but that díckhead also worked. Bogan, a new word for me. I said I expected there would be more of them in the future to which the man asked, "Drones or díckheads?". Alas, they seem to travel in pairs.

All that said, I think electronic jammers (never mind guns or slingshots) are potentially dangerous, as well as illegal. It's not a good solution.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:01 pm

Closest translation to bogan in American English would probably be trailer trash, with or without the trailer. it follows most bogans are *&^%$#@! but not all *&^%$#@! are bogans. :lol:
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 6:28 am

Bogan, is a really interesting term -and I think is newish in its wide use. Popular quite recently and is a snobbish term used to deride people considered culturally (and often economically) inferior. Nong, fool, cretin, boofhead, and where did drongo go,and a dozen other terms probably cover all aspects of stupidity. A term reflective of the last 15 -20 years of Australian history. Where Ozzies felt the need for a new term to differentiate the cultural and often moneyed elites.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 10:31 am

Lamont wrote:Nong, fool, cretin, boofhead and drongo*.

Except those are more synonyms for idiot whereas bogan is different.

A traditional bogan was someone who had a mullet, drove a V8 (usually with a coat hanger in the shape of Australia for the antenna), dropped the “F” word every sentence and, of course, had a pack of Winny Blues stuck in the sleeve of their overly tight T-shirt. This did not necessarily correlate with their intelligence (although many an inference was made).

Nowadays the above passes for acceptable in most parts of Australia (50,000 word rant deleted).

* Ahh, drongo, one of my favourite terms of mild derision. Particularly because almost no-one knows the origin!
ChrisJHC

Postby peregrinator » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 4:34 pm

Wikipedia has a definition under the sub-heading Insult:

The word drongo is used in Australian as a mild form of insult meaning "idiot" or "stupid fellow". This usage derives from an Australian racehorse of the same name . . . in the 1920s that never won despite many places.[13][14][15][16]

13 Green, Jonathon (2005). Cassell's Dictionary of Slang. London, UK: Orion Publishing Group. p. 450. ISBN 978-0-304-36636-1.
14^ "Drongo", entry in 1970, Bill Wannan, Australian Folklore, Lansdowne Press, reprint 1979, ISBN 0-7018-1309-1, page 200.
15 "Drongo". Oxford Dictionary. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
16 "Career of Drongo". The News (Adelaide). IV, (568). South Australia. 20 May 1925. p. 3. Retrieved 14 February 2018 – via National Library of Australia.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 5:39 pm

peregrinator wrote:Wikipedia has a definition under the sub-heading Insult:

The word drongo is used in Australian as a mild form of insult meaning "idiot" or "stupid fellow". This usage derives from an Australian racehorse of the same name . . . in the 1920s that never won despite many places.[13][14][15][16]

13 Green, Jonathon (2005). Cassell's Dictionary of Slang. London, UK: Orion Publishing Group. p. 450. ISBN 978-0-304-36636-1.
14^ "Drongo", entry in 1970, Bill Wannan, Australian Folklore, Lansdowne Press, reprint 1979, ISBN 0-7018-1309-1, page 200.
15 "Drongo". Oxford Dictionary. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
16 "Career of Drongo". The News (Adelaide). IV, (568). South Australia. 20 May 1925. p. 3. Retrieved 14 February 2018 – via National Library of Australia.

And was the bird named for the racehorse, or the racehorse named for the bird?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 6:43 pm

Drongos of the feathered variety are not exclusive to Australia. They are also found in Asia and Africa.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Sun 28 Oct, 2018 8:50 pm

Lamont wrote:Bogan, is a really interesting term -and I think is newish in its wide use. Popular quite recently and is a snobbish term used to deride people considered culturally (and often economically) inferior. Nong, fool, cretin, boofhead, and where did drongo go,and a dozen other terms probably cover all aspects of stupidity. A term reflective of the last 15 -20 years of Australian history. Where Ozzies felt the need for a new term to differentiate the cultural and often moneyed elites.

I'd agree widespread is fairly new. I joined the army in the early 90's and southern region guys were using terms like westy, bogun, bevan When they described them as a mullet guy with panelvan I thought hell its all of north QLD. :lol: I got photos of my uncles etc looking very 'bogan' like, but really they were just clean cut, hard working professional aussies of the 70's. These days that image is more connected to someone with dubious social responsibility, drug use and minor dealings with police.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 4:24 am

Thanks for the language and history lessons.

I typed the word into my browser search bar and found that there was a TV show called "Bogan Hunters" several years back. It wasn't a pretty picture, the contestants that is, and not like the people I've seen with drones.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby geoskid » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 5:57 pm

johnw wrote: The playing of guitars and bagpipes on remote peaks I can relate to, but this other stuff borders on antisocial IMO. If they want to do it why not use headphones, then they can blow their eardrums out to their hearts content without annoying the rest of us :evil:

But what is the difference John, if not personal preference? Blowin' ya bags on a peak out of throttle range is far more antisocial than a Bluetooth speaker within throttle range, no?
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 6:56 pm

Orion wrote:Thanks for the language and history lessons.

"We' have a river and a shire named 'Bogan' http://www.bogan.nsw.gov.au/

And ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnuf9-zgdyw
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 10:47 pm

geoskid wrote:
johnw wrote: The playing of guitars and bagpipes on remote peaks I can relate to, but this other stuff borders on antisocial IMO. If they want to do it why not use headphones, then they can blow their eardrums out to their hearts content without annoying the rest of us :evil:

But what is the difference John, if not personal preference? Blowin' ya bags on a peak out of throttle range is far more antisocial than a Bluetooth speaker within throttle range, no?

OK maybe I have a soft spot for those. But I'm assuming no one else is there to hear it in a remote spot, or far less likely to be. Or they are of like mind.
Blowing your bagpipes on a more populated track probably is just as antisocial.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion